(1) Jack -- busted? (2) jack.udp -- busted? (3) jack-osx -- binary-only?

(1) Jack -- busted? (2) jack.udp -- busted? (3) jack-osx -- binary-only?

Stephen Travis Pope

Helo all,

(1) I'm new to jack (but a competent programmer). It appears that the
cvs repository is missing the top-level configuration file. Following
the instructions from the download page, I do a clean cvs checkout on
a Linux machine, cd to the jack directory, and execute

./autogen.sh

This fails saying

/usr/bin/m4: configure.in: No such file or directory
configure.ac: 218: required file `config/ltmain.sh' not found

Am I missing something?

(2) My actual interest is in looking into the jack-udp protocol, and
I tried getting this all to work on a Mac a few days ago and actually
got much further, but it looks like file recv.c has problems since it
doesn't appear to include any definition if the jackudp_t data type
that it tries to declare in the first line of code; i.e., I get,

/Users/stp/Code/jack/jack.udp/recv.c:14: error: 'jackudp_t'
undeclared (first use in this function)

Does jack.udp work in general?
Is there any documentation of the actual protocol used?
Has anyone thought of using TCP instead of UDP?

(3) I know that there's a binary distribution of the Mac OSX release,
and have it installed; does anyone know where there's a source
distribution?

stp

...any assistance greatly appreciated...

--
   Stephen Travis Pope -- http://create.ucsb.edu/~stp
   Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology, University of

Re: (1) Jack -- busted? (2) jack.udp -- busted? (3) jack-osx -- binary-only?

Stephen Travis Pope

Hello again,

I just answered question (2) about jack.udp when I realized that
recv.c is #included in jack.udp.c (and itself includes packet.c).

(I teach a graduate course on digital audio development, and this
just made it onto the list of "don't ever program like this.")

Perhaps some more background would be helpful. I started to look at
this after someone on the CLAM list mentioned the remote socket
streaming protocol we use in the CREATE Signal Library (CSL, see
http://www.create.ucsb.edu/CSL). We are currently discussing moving
from UDP to TCP, and I'm interested in actual user experience with
jack.udp. I notice that the server and client both fail and exit at
the first sign of trouble (like out-of-sequence packets).

There was some network traffic a couple of years ago about this. Is
anyone using this regularly?

Is anyone interested in collaborating on a common sample streaming
protocol (possibly based on a somewhat simplified version of SDIF or
the SC3 protocol)?

stp

--
   Stephen Travis Pope -- http://create.ucsb.edu/~stp
   Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology, University of
California, Santa Barbara
         Really—I don't know what the meaning or purpose of life is.
         But it looks exactly as if something were meant by it. — C.
G. Jung

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Stephen Travis Pope <[hidden email]>
> Date: September 23, 2005 12:10:15 PM PDT
> [hidden email]>, [hidden email]
> Cc: Stephen Pope <[hidden email]>
> Subject: (1) Jack -- busted?  (2) jack.udp -- busted?  (3) jack-osx
> -- binary-only?
>

> Helo all,
>
> (1) I'm new to jack (but a competent programmer). It appears that
> the cvs repository is missing the top-level configuration file.
> Following the instructions from the download page, I do a clean cvs
> checkout on a Linux machine, cd to the jack directory, and execute
>
> ./autogen.sh
>
> This fails saying
>
> /usr/bin/m4: configure.in: No such file or directory
> configure.ac: 218: required file `config/ltmain.sh' not found
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> (2) My actual interest is in looking into the jack-udp protocol,
> and I tried getting this all to work on a Mac a few days ago and
> actually got much further, but it looks like file recv.c has
> problems since it doesn't appear to include any definition if the
> jackudp_t data type that it tries to declare in the first line of
> code; i.e., I get,
>
> /Users/stp/Code/jack/jack.udp/recv.c:14: error: 'jackudp_t'
> undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> Does jack.udp work in general?
> Is there any documentation of the actual protocol used?
> Has anyone thought of using TCP instead of UDP?
>
> (3) I know that there's a binary distribution of the Mac OSX
> release, and have it installed; does anyone know where there's a
> source distribution?
>
> stp
>
> ...any assistance greatly appreciated...
>
> --
>   Stephen Travis Pope -- http://create.ucsb.edu/~stp
>   Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology, University of
> California, Santa Barbara
>         Really—I don't know what the meaning or purpose of life is.
>         But it looks exactly as if something were meant by it. — C.
> G. Jung

Re: (1) Jack -- busted? (2) jack.udp -- busted? (3) jack-osx -- binary-only?

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki
On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 12:10:15PM -0700, Stephen Travis Pope wrote:

> (2) My actual interest is in looking into the jack-udp protocol, and
> I tried getting this all to work on a Mac a few days ago and actually
> got much further, but it looks like file recv.c has problems since it
> doesn't appear to include any definition if the jackudp_t data type
> that it tries to declare in the first line of code; i.e., I get,
>
> /Users/stp/Code/jack/jack.udp/recv.c:14: error: 'jackudp_t'
> undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> Does jack.udp work in general?
> Is there any documentation of the actual protocol used?
> Has anyone thought of using TCP instead of UDP?

Alban Peignier uses Rivendell with jack for radio broadcasts. As I
understand it he uses jack.udp to send the audio from the broadcast box
to a separate box that does encoding for web streaming. So, there is at
least one working use case.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia

Re: Re: (1) Jack -- busted? (2) jack.udp -- busted? (3) jack-osx -- binary-only?

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki
On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 12:28:00PM -0700, Stephen Travis Pope wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I just answered question (2) about jack.udp when I realized that
> recv.c is #included in jack.udp.c (and itself includes packet.c).
>
> (I teach a graduate course on digital audio development, and this
> just made it onto the list of "don't ever program like this.")
>
> Perhaps some more background would be helpful. I started to look at
> this after someone on the CLAM list mentioned the remote socket
> streaming protocol we use in the CREATE Signal Library (CSL, see
> http://www.create.ucsb.edu/CSL). We are currently discussing moving
> from UDP to TCP, and I'm interested in actual user experience with
> jack.udp. I notice that the server and client both fail and exit at
> the first sign of trouble (like out-of-sequence packets).
>
> There was some network traffic a couple of years ago about this. Is
> anyone using this regularly?
>
> Is anyone interested in collaborating on a common sample streaming
> protocol (possibly based on a somewhat simplified version of SDIF or
> the SC3 protocol)?

There is definitely interest. See this recent thread from the LAU list:

http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2005/09/0376.html

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia
2025 M Street, NW  |  Washington, DC 20036  |  202-530-4900
CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. Any
unauthorized dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly
prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please contact
[hidden email].

Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: (1) Jack -- busted? (2) jack.udp -- busted? (3) jack-osx -- binary-only?

rj (Bugzilla)

On Friday 23 Sep 2005 21:35, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 12:10:15PM -0700, Stephen Travis Pope wrote:
> > (2) My actual interest is in looking into the jack-udp protocol, and
> > I tried getting this all to work on a Mac a few days ago and actually
> > got much further, but it looks like file recv.c has problems since it
> > doesn't appear to include any definition if the jackudp_t data type
> > that it tries to declare in the first line of code; i.e., I get,
> >
> > /Users/stp/Code/jack/jack.udp/recv.c:14: error: 'jackudp_t'
> > undeclared (first use in this function)
> >
> > Does jack.udp work in general?
> > Is there any documentation of the actual protocol used?
> > Has anyone thought of using TCP instead of UDP?
>
> Alban Peignier uses Rivendell with jack for radio broadcasts. As I
> understand it he uses jack.udp to send the audio from the broadcast box
> to a separate box that does encoding for web streaming. So, there is at
> least one working use case.

Distributing jack interests me, but sadly I have no time to dive deeper at the
moment.
Jackudp had a sibling called udpsync (not sure about the source heritage)
which, instead of connecting two jacks through the client-interface (which is
prone to sync problems) drives the "slave" through the backend.  It does
work, but is by no means finished.
Don't know if it's of interest, the latest sources are here anyway:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/netjack

Regards,
Robert

--
http://spamatica.se/musicsite/

Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: (1) Jack -- busted? (2) jack.udp -- busted? (3) jack-osx -- binary-only?

Stephen Travis Pope

Netjack sounds interesting, but the SourceForge site has no code and no forum postings.
Perhaps this is a case of starting a project by claiming the spot on SourceForge...

stp

On Sunday 25 Sep 2005 05:43, Stephen Travis Pope wrote:
> Netjack sounds interesting, but the SourceForge site has no code and
> no forum postings.
> Perhaps this is a case of starting a project by claiming the spot on
> SourceForge...

The code is there, but it's only in cvs, there are unfortunately no releases
made on that site yet (says a little about the lack of maturity).
As for the technical merits I see that the discussion has been more about the
transport mechanism and this project hasn't really touched on that subject
yet. To keep it simple the data is sent via udp with floats directly.

For lowlatency, CPU-hungry, work the interesting bit is that there is a master
jack-server that drive all slave jack-servers, thus working around the sync
issues.
A drawback of this is that its only (easily) allowed  to connect an actual
soundcard to the master jack-server, the others are best suited for various
processing tasks (Outboard effects, softsynths).

Regards,
Robert

Le 23 sept. 05 à 21:28, Stephen Travis Pope a écrit :

> Hello again,
>
> I just answered question (2) about jack.udp when I realized that
> recv.c is #included in jack.udp.c (and itself includes packet.c).
>
> (I teach a graduate course on digital audio development, and this
> just made it onto the list of "don't ever program like this.")
>
> Perhaps some more background would be helpful. I started to look at
> this after someone on the CLAM list mentioned the remote socket
> streaming protocol we use in the CREATE Signal Library (CSL, see
> http://www.create.ucsb.edu/CSL). We are currently discussing moving
> from UDP to TCP, and I'm interested in actual user experience with
> jack.udp. I notice that the server and client both fail and exit at
> the first sign of trouble (like out-of-sequence packets).
>
> There was some network traffic a couple of years ago about this. Is
> anyone using this regularly?
>
> Is anyone interested in collaborating on a common sample streaming
> protocol (possibly based on a somewhat simplified version of SDIF
> or the SC3 protocol)?
>
> stp
>
> --
>   Stephen Travis Pope -- http://create.ucsb.edu/~stp
>   Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology, University of
> California, Santa Barbara
>         Really—I don't know what the meaning or purpose of life is.
>         But it looks exactly as if something were meant by it. — C.
> G. Jung

There is a JackRTP project on source forge that was developed at
IRCAM. I don't know exactly the status of the project right now, but
it seems stopped.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jackrtp

Regards

Stephane Letz