801.BA Auto Discovery of devices

Christoph Kuhr
Hi again,

after that inspiring discussion about precise timing, i have another avb
related topic.
i think i will come up with several topics related to avb in the next
months.

one of avbs benefits shall be auto discovery.
but i dont see that with IP!?
would it be possible, to utilize a NetBIOS like protocol for addressing
devices? OSC via UDP via NetBIOS via MAC/LLC ... ?
until now i have no clue, how addressing shall work without IP...
all the people are talking about RTP and Ravenna...
but how do they interconnect without using an IP based net with DHCP server?

Bye
Ck

Re: 801.BA Auto Discovery of devices

Arnold Krille-3
On Friday 04 March 2011 17:28:40 Christoph Kuhr wrote:
> one of avbs benefits shall be auto discovery.
> but i dont see that with IP!?
> would it be possible, to utilize a NetBIOS like protocol for addressing
> devices? OSC via UDP via NetBIOS via MAC/LLC ... ?
> until now i have no clue, how addressing shall work without IP...
> all the people are talking about RTP and Ravenna...
> but how do they interconnect without using an IP based net with DHCP
> server?

Ravenna (and AVB) definitely use IP. You need IP for UDP...

The most common (or future-proof) service discoveries are Bonjour/Zeroconf,
SLP and UPnP. Ravenna seems to use Bonjour as this also provides a way to
autoconfigure IP addresses when there is no DHCP on the net...

I also enjoy the discussions about AVB on this list. I would also be okay when
it moves to the lad-list though.

Have a nice weekend,

Arnold

Re: 801.BA Auto Discovery of devices

Florian Faber-2
On 03/04/11 17:43, Arnold Krille wrote:

> The most common (or future-proof) service discoveries are Bonjour/Zeroconf,
> SLP and UPnP. Ravenna seems to use Bonjour as this also provides a way to
> autoconfigure IP addresses when there is no DHCP on the net...

"Multicast DNS" and "Service Discovery". (Please don't use the terms
this company with the rotten fruit and the big marketing department
tries to establish.)

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key B3B9226C          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net

Re: 801.BA Auto Discovery of devices

Duncan Gray-2
That fruit company is BIG in AVB. Multicast DNS and Service Discovery
will be re-invented all over again by that crew, redundantly so.