[ANN] JAPA Jack/Alsa Perceptual Analyser

[ANN] JAPA Jack/Alsa Perceptual Analyser

Fons Adriaensen
The first (alpha) release of JAPA is now available at

  <http://users.skynet.be/solaris/linuxaudio>

From the README:

JAPA is a 'perceptual' or 'psychoacoustic' audio spectrum
analyser. This means that the filters that are used to
analyse the spectrum have bandwidths that are neither
constant (as in JAAA), nor proportional to the center
frequency (as in a 1/3 octave band analyser), but tuned
to human perception. With the default settings, JAPA uses
a filter set that closely follows the Bark scale.

In contrast to JAAA, this is more an acoustical or musical
tool than a purely technical one. Possible uses include
spectrum monitoring while mixing or mastering, evaluation
of ambient noise, and (using pink noise), equalisation
of PA systems.

JAPA allows you to measure two inputs at the same time,
compare them, store them to memory and compare them to
stored traces. It offers a number of resolutions, speeds,
and various display options. The dual inputs and memories
will find their way into future JAAA versions as well.

This is a source release. You will also need libclalsadrv,
libclthreads (from the same place), and libfftw3f.

Enjoy !

Re: [linux-audio-announce] [ANN] JAPA Jack/Alsa Perceptual Analyser

Lukas Erni
Am Samstag 06 August 2005 17:24 schrieb fons adriaensen:

> The first (alpha) release of JAPA is now available at
>
>   <http://users.skynet.be/solaris/linuxaudio>
>
> >From the README:
>
> JAPA is a 'perceptual' or 'psychoacoustic' audio spectrum
> analyser. This means that the filters that are used to
> analyse the spectrum have bandwidths that are neither
> constant (as in JAAA), nor proportional to the center
> frequency (as in a 1/3 octave band analyser), but tuned
> to human perception. With the default settings, JAPA uses
> a filter set that closely follows the Bark scale.
>
> In contrast to JAAA, this is more an acoustical or musical
> tool than a purely technical one. Possible uses include
> spectrum monitoring while mixing or mastering, evaluation
> of ambient noise, and (using pink noise), equalisation
> of PA systems.
>
> JAPA allows you to measure two inputs at the same time,
> compare them, store them to memory and compare them to
> stored traces. It offers a number of resolutions, speeds,
> and various display options. The dual inputs and memories
> will find their way into future JAAA versions as well.

wow japa is cool. it runs stabel on my box. thanks fons!

since this is a alphaversion I may have a feature request?

In the current implementation the background-grid is somehow related
to the filters under the hood. Do I get that right?
Would it be possible to "tune" the backgroundgrid to 440Hz or have the
possibility to "tune" it in the rc-file?

cut from a older msg:
> The PAZ stereo display really looks like a gadget to me, but it's
> maybe not too difficult to implement. If it works like I think it
> does, it would certainly be less CPU-hungry than a real vector
> display of the stereo signal.

As I said it's not that important to me. But as I now see how nice it
meters... are there any plans to implemt gadgets?

best regards
lukas

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 09:16:42AM +0200, Lukas Erni wrote:

> In the current implementation the background-grid is somehow related
> to the filters under the hood. Do I get that right?

No, the grid is always in octaves, and the minor ticks on the horizontal
scale are major thirds (1/3 octave). This does not depend on the filter
set. Only their _place_ on the F-axis depends on the filters, if you
select the "Warp" display option.

> Would it be possible to "tune" the backgroundgrid to 440Hz or have the
> possibility to "tune" it in the rc-file?

Mmmm. This could be confusing. The current grid and ticks correspond
to the standard frequencies you'll find e.g. on a 1/3 octave band
graphic equaliser. I'd like to keep it that way, but I'll think
about an option. As it is the grid lines are near to musical E,
harmonically very close to the A you want...

> > The PAZ stereo display really looks like a gadget to me, but it's
> > maybe not too difficult to implement. If it works like I think it
> > does, it would certainly be less CPU-hungry than a real vector
> > display of the stereo signal.
>
> As I said it's not that important to me. But as I now see how nice it
> meters... are there any plans to implemt gadgets?

Not immediately :-)

Am Dienstag 09 August 2005 21:03 schrieb fons adriaensen:
> Mmmm. This could be confusing. The current grid and ticks
> correspond to the standard frequencies you'll find e.g. on a 1/3
> octave band graphic equaliser. I'd like to keep it that way, but
> I'll think about an option. As it is the grid lines are near to
> musical E, harmonically very close to the A you want...

for mastering the grid is nice the way you've implemented it. for
“noistuning” and synthese a grid-tuning with 440Hz or whatever would
be nice. I do “some music” made with recorded noises. In that case it
can be helpfull to see pre and post for example of a filter and shape
the sound somehow to fit better in harmonic content.

lukas

Re: JAPA Jack/Alsa Perceptual Analyser

Fons Adriaensen
On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 01:02:49PM +0200, Lukas Erni wrote:

> Am Dienstag 09 August 2005 21:03 schrieb fons adriaensen:
> > Mmmm. This could be confusing. The current grid and ticks
> > correspond to the standard frequencies you'll find e.g. on a 1/3
> > octave band graphic equaliser. I'd like to keep it that way, but
> > I'll think about an option. As it is the grid lines are near to
> > musical E, harmonically very close to the A you want...
>
> for mastering the grid is nice the way you've implemented it. for
> ???noistuning??? and synthese a grid-tuning with 440Hz or whatever would
> be nice. I do ???some music??? made with recorded noises. In that case it
> can be helpfull to see pre and post for example of a filter and shape
> the sound somehow to fit better in harmonic content.

Would a log scale with grid lines at each A do, or do you want this
in the warped versions as well ?