[ANN] QjackCtl 0.2.16 released!

Rui Nuno Capela
QjackCtl 0.2.16 is finally out!

After laying around for a long time in the backyard (aka CVS:), the Qt
front-end to the one-of-a-kind JACK audio server daemon is finally made
public. Rejoyce!

As one can read from the changelog:

- ALSA sequencer client/port name changes are now properly detected on the
MIDI connections widget (as noted by Chris Cannam. Thanks).

- Long overdue transport buttons (rewind, backward and forward) finally
landed onto the main control window, at last :).

- Duplication (copy) of patchbay socket items was added.

- Do not ever try to start the JACK server if there's one already found
running, on which case the client-only mode of operation is then activated
(as kindly suggested by Orm Finnendahl, thanks).

- After several Mac OS X user requests, ALSA/MIDI sequencer support is now
an option, otherwise detected at configure time and conditionally compiled
in if, and only if, ALSA is found available (which has been a primordial
assumption on Linux systems:). Ah, and that just makes for the blind
inclusion of another backend driver option: coreaudio.

- Actual OSS device selection menu now featured on setup dialog; these
adds to the device selection button menus for the OSS driver settings.

- Delayed geometry setup of windows upon startup was added as an optional
workaround to subtle problems due to window decoration information not
being available at window creation time on some window managers (as patch
proposed by Dirk Jagdmann. Thanks).

- Fixed some minor but rather old bug that was quitting the application
abruptly, when one switches off the system tray icon while the main
application widget is hidden.

- Cancel is now an option when creating a new patchbay definition.

- Context menus are finally littered with icons.

- Minor configure and Makefile install fixes, as Debian and Mac OS X
specialties. Also, install does the right thing with target file modes
(thanks to Matt Flax and Ebrahim Mayat, for pointing these out).

You can get away with it from the usual place:

  http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/qjackctl

Enjoy!
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Re: [ANN] QjackCtl 0.2.16 released!

Wolfgang Woehl
"Rui Nuno Capela" <[hidden email]>:
> QjackCtl 0.2.16 is finally out!

Rui, in current JACK there are 2 new runtime options: -I and -O for
telling JACK and interested clients about the latencies of external
hardware. With these numbers set right you can get perfect alignment in
a client that does latency compensation: Ardour -> JACK -> Hardware-out
-> loopback cable or whatever chain of external processors you have ->
Hardware-in -> JACK -> Ardour

So -I and -O are somewhat missed in qjackctl's Setup tab.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Woehl wrote:

> Rui, in current JACK there are 2 new runtime options: -I and -O for
> telling JACK and interested clients about the latencies of external
> hardware. With these numbers set right you can get perfect alignment in
> a client that does latency compensation: Ardour -> JACK -> Hardware-out
> -> loopback cable or whatever chain of external processors you have ->
> Hardware-in -> JACK -> Ardour
>
> So -I and -O are somewhat missed in qjackctl's Setup tab.
> Wolfgang

Yes, those are missing on the qjackctl's setup settings and also on
jackd's man page.

I fail to understand whether those new -I and -O are specific alsa backend
options or have global scope. OTOH there's the issue that the -I clashes
with an existing coreaudio backend option, which in fact is rather
important (device id. on coreaudio), and I don't know if this has been
already addressed (too lazy to look into the jackd code right now:)

But rest assured that when this gets documented properly, it will land on
the qjackctl's settings dialog.

Bye.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Re: [ANN] QjackCtl 0.2.16 released!

Stéphane Letz

Le 14 juin 05 à 13:16, Rui Nuno Capela a écrit :

> Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
>

>> Rui, in current JACK there are 2 new runtime options: -I and -O for
>> telling JACK and interested clients about the latencies of external
>> hardware. With these numbers set right you can get perfect
>> alignment in
>> a client that does latency compensation: Ardour -> JACK ->
>> Hardware-out
>> -> loopback cable or whatever chain of external processors you
>> have ->
>> Hardware-in -> JACK -> Ardour
>>
>> So -I and -O are somewhat missed in qjackctl's Setup tab.
>> Wolfgang
>>

> Yes, those are missing on the qjackctl's setup settings and also on
> jackd's man page.
>
> I fail to understand whether those new -I and -O are specific alsa
> backend
> options or have global scope. OTOH there's the issue that the -I
> clashes
> with an existing coreaudio backend option, which in fact is rather
> important (device id. on coreaudio), and I don't know if this has been
> already addressed (too lazy to look into the jackd code right now:)

The -I parameter of the coreaudio driver has been removed. It was not
needed after a change of the way the actual coreaudio driver is defined.
The -n parameter is now used again with a sligthly changed semantic
(not the name of the coreaudio driver as normally displayed by
application, but an internal identifier that is more persistent)

Its now on CVS

Stephane

Re: [ANN] QjackCtl 0.2.16 released!

Rui Nuno Capela
> Le 14 juin 05 à 13:16, Rui Nuno Capela a écrit :
>
>> Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
>>

>>> Rui, in current JACK there are 2 new runtime options: -I and -O for
>>> telling JACK and interested clients about the latencies of external
>>> hardware. With these numbers set right you can get perfect
>>> alignment in a client that does latency compensation: Ardour -> JACK
>>> -> Hardware-out -> loopback cable or whatever chain of external
>>> processors you have -> Hardware-in -> JACK -> Ardour
>>>
>>> So -I and -O are somewhat missed in qjackctl's Setup tab.
>>> Wolfgang
>>>

>> Yes, those are missing on the qjackctl's setup settings and also on
>> jackd's man page.
>>
>> I fail to understand whether those new -I and -O are specific alsa
>> backend options or have global scope. OTOH there's the issue that the
>> -I clashes with an existing coreaudio backend option, which in fact is
>> rather important (device id. on coreaudio), and I don't know if this
>> has been already addressed (too lazy to look into the jackd code right
>> now:)
>
> The -I parameter of the coreaudio driver has been removed. It was not
> needed after a change of the way the actual coreaudio driver is defined.
> The -n parameter is now used again with a sligthly changed semantic
> (not the name of the coreaudio driver as normally displayed by
> application, but an internal identifier that is more persistent)
>
> Its now on CVS

Damn! That will leave qjackctl 0.2.16 completely broken (ie. unusable) for
coreaudio (Mac OS X). Qjackctl relies on the -I for passing the device id
to the coreaudio backend. If it has changed to be -n on CVS that will be a
showstopper for Mac OS X. But nevermind Stéphane, you should know what
you're doing :)

In fact, I do agree with the change, but qjackctl 0.2.16 will be tied up
to the already packaged jackd 0.100.0 release (Taybin?), as far as macosx
coreaudio goes.

Cheers.

Le 14 juin 05 à 15:44, Rui Nuno Capela a écrit :

>>> Yes, those are missing on the qjackctl's setup settings and also on
>>> jackd's man page.
>>>
>>> I fail to understand whether those new -I and -O are specific alsa
>>> backend options or have global scope. OTOH there's the issue that
>>> the
>>> -I clashes with an existing coreaudio backend option, which in
>>> fact is
>>> rather important (device id. on coreaudio), and I don't know if this
>>> has been already addressed (too lazy to look into the jackd code
>>> right
>>> now:)
>>>

>> The -I parameter of the coreaudio driver has been removed. It was not
>> needed after a change of the way the actual coreaudio driver is
>> defined.
>> The -n parameter is now used again with a sligthly changed semantic
>> (not the name of the coreaudio driver as normally displayed by
>> application, but an internal identifier that is more persistent)
>>
>> Its now on CVS
>>

> Damn! That will leave qjackctl 0.2.16 completely broken (ie.
> unusable) for
> coreaudio (Mac OS X). Qjackctl relies on the -I for passing the
> device id
> to the coreaudio backend. If it has changed to be -n on CVS that
> will be a
> showstopper for Mac OS X. But nevermind Stéphane, you should know what
> you're doing :)

This change was necessary on Tiger for the next coming JackOSX 0.7
package.

> In fact, I do agree with the change, but qjackctl 0.2.16 will be
> tied up
> to the already packaged jackd 0.100.0 release (Taybin?), as far as
> macosx
> coreaudio goes.

Hum the -I remove was done before  0.100.0 release I think... so i
guess qjackctl 0.2.16  will not work correctly with jackd 0.100.0 it
its already released.

Sorry I forgot to mail you about this change in the coreaudio
driver... without knowing you were able to release a new version of
qjackctl...

We will have to better synchronize the next time.

Stephane

Stéphane Letz wrote:

>>> The -I parameter of the coreaudio driver has been removed. It was not
>>> needed after a change of the way the actual coreaudio driver is
>>> defined.
>>> The -n parameter is now used again with a sligthly changed semantic
>>> (not the name of the coreaudio driver as normally displayed by
>>> application, but an internal identifier that is more persistent)
>>>
>>> Its now on CVS
>>
>> Damn! That will leave qjackctl 0.2.16 completely broken (ie.
>> unusable) for coreaudio (Mac OS X). Qjackctl relies on the -I for
>> passing the device id to the coreaudio backend. If it has changed
>> to be -n on CVS that will be a showstopper for Mac OS X. But nevermind
>> Stéphane, you should know what you're doing :)
>
> This change was necessary on Tiger for the next coming JackOSX 0.7
> package.
>

>> In fact, I do agree with the change, but qjackctl 0.2.16 will be
>> tied up to the already packaged jackd 0.100.0 release (Taybin?),
>> as far as macosx coreaudio goes.
>
> Hum the -I remove was done before  0.100.0 release I think... so i
> guess qjackctl 0.2.16  will not work correctly with jackd 0.100.0 it
> its already released.
>
> Sorry I forgot to mail you about this change in the coreaudio
> driver... without knowing you were able to release a new version of
> qjackctl...
>
> We will have to better synchronize the next time.

All this means that I'll prepare qjackctl 0.2.17 very, very soon :)

Nuff said.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Re: [ANN] QjackCtl 0.2.16 released!

Rui Nuno Capela

>> Hum the -I remove was done before  0.100.0 release I think... so i
>> guess qjackctl 0.2.16  will not work correctly with jackd 0.100.0 it
>> its already released.
>>
>> Sorry I forgot to mail you about this change in the coreaudio
>> driver... without knowing you were able to release a new version of
>> qjackctl...
>>
>> We will have to better synchronize the next time.
>>

> All this means that I'll prepare qjackctl 0.2.17 very, very soon :)
>
> Nuff said.
But not-so-fast :)

/me after reading the jack-0.100.0 source code :)

It also means that jackd 0.100.0 man page and coreaudio --help is somewhat
misleading:

1) `man jackd` does not give any clue about the -I and -O options.
2) currently, the coreaudio backend equivalent options are given by -l and
-L which adds terribly to some inconsistency.
3) no clue about these later coreaudio options on the man page.

IMNSHO these issues must be addressed ASAP, probably mandating a very
fresh and new jack-0.101.0 re-release :))

In the mean time, I'll take the necessary qjackctl changes, assuming that
alsa, oss and coreaudio backends will uniformly accept the -I and -O
options.

Bye now.

Le 14 juin 05 à 17:29, Rui Nuno Capela a écrit :

>>> Hum the -I remove was done before  0.100.0 release I think... so i
>>> guess qjackctl 0.2.16  will not work correctly with jackd 0.100.0 it
>>> its already released.
>>>
>>> Sorry I forgot to mail you about this change in the coreaudio
>>> driver... without knowing you were able to release a new version of
>>> qjackctl...
>>>
>>> We will have to better synchronize the next time.
>>>

>> All this means that I'll prepare qjackctl 0.2.17 very, very soon :)
>>
>> Nuff said.
>>
> But not-so-fast :)
>
> /me after reading the jack-0.100.0 source code :)
>
> It also means that jackd 0.100.0 man page and coreaudio --help is
> somewhat
> misleading:
>
> 1) `man jackd` does not give any clue about the -I and -O options.
> 2) currently, the coreaudio backend equivalent options are given by
> -l and
> -L which adds terribly to some inconsistency.

i corrected it today, see:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jackit/jack/drivers/coreaudio/
coreaudio_driver.c?rev=1.20&view=log

> 3) no clue about these later coreaudio options on the man page.

?? where should this be corrected?

Stephane

Re: [ANN] QjackCtl 0.2.16 released!

Jussi Laako
On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 16:11 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> All this means that I'll prepare qjackctl 0.2.17 very, very soon :)

The OSS backend also supports -I and -O flags.

--
Jussi Laako <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] QjackCtl 0.2.16 released!

Rui Nuno Capela
> On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 16:11 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
>> All this means that I'll prepare qjackctl 0.2.17 very, very soon :)
>
> The OSS backend also supports -I and -O flags.

Right.

OK, all changes and additions regarding this I/O Latency settings are
already committed to cvs.sf.net [qjackctl 0.2.16.1] Thankyou for all the
help.

Now it would be a good thing (tm) if someone updates the jackd(1) man
page; adding the -I and -O options on alsa, oss and coreaudio backend
entries, and changing the -n description for the coreaudio one.

Bye.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela