[ANN] snd-rt for windows

Kjetil Matheussen

I have ported snd-rt for windows:

http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/doc/snd-rt/

A few small tests shows that it works very
well, but graphics is missing. I also doubt
the rt-readin generator works either, yet.

The package contains a complete working environment
and includes: Jackdmp, Qjackctl, MSys, MinGW, Emacs,
Guile 1.8.2 and SND 9.4.

To install it, just unpack the zip-file into
C:\ and follow the instructions in readme.txt

concern about crashes and error messages

Mats Ahlgren-2
Hello,

I am keen to use Jack, but I just wanted to state my concern that:

1) I find Jack crashes alot unless you tweak the parameters perfectly --
to the point that it was very frustrating to configure. Also when you
upgrade it from time to time, updates tend to make Jack crash and unable
to start. When this happens, it makes it impossible to use any of the
things which rely upon Jack like Rosegarden or Ardour or software
synths. I'm not pointing fingers or anything; Jack is a wonderful piece
of software in theory, but I urge you to make it more robust if
possible.

2) Jack I find has a severe lack of error messages. Often when it
crashes while trying to tweak parameters, it will not say anything, even
in verbose mode. I've had Jack crash on me for multiple reasons, and
never have I had an error message in qjackctl. This makes it very hard
to diagnose what is going wrong and perhaps report it back to the devs,
which further exacerbates point #1. I would humbly recommend increasing
the debug errors.

Also I'm removing myself from the mailing list, so if anyone would like
to reply please CC me. Hope these suggestions help.

Best wishes,
Mats

Re: concern about crashes and error messages

Paul Davis
On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 19:22 -0500, Mats Ahlgren wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am keen to use Jack, but I just wanted to state my concern that:
>
> 1) I find Jack crashes alot unless you tweak the parameters perfectly --
> to the point that it was very frustrating to configure. Also when you
> upgrade it from time to time, updates tend to make Jack crash and unable
> to start.

Do you use a Debian-derived distribution? If so, talk to your
distribution. This is not a JACK problem, its a distro-packaging
problem. Generally.

> When this happens, it makes it impossible to use any of the
> things which rely upon Jack like Rosegarden or Ardour or software
> synths. I'm not pointing fingers or anything; Jack is a wonderful piece
> of software in theory, but I urge you to make it more robust if
> possible.

I upgrade JACK more frequently than most ;) I never have to recompile
any apps (unless they are using something was changed, which has not
been the core API for several years now). They just continue to work.

> 2) Jack I find has a severe lack of error messages. Often when it
> crashes while trying to tweak parameters,

do you mean crash, or fail to start, or fail to operate correctly?

> it will not say anything, even
> in verbose mode. I've had Jack crash on me for multiple reasons, and
> never have I had an error message in qjackctl. This makes it very hard
> to diagnose what is going wrong and perhaps report it back to the devs,
> which further exacerbates point #1. I would humbly recommend increasing
> the debug errors.

to diagnose what is wrong, you are recommended to not use qjackctl, but
to start JACK from the command line.

there is a lot of debugging info in JACK, but the majority of it is
disabled unless it is built with --enable-debug being passed to
configure. distros do not ship with this option turned on.

> Also I'm removing myself from the mailing list, so if anyone would like
> to reply please CC me. Hope these suggestions help.

that's not a terribly helpful thing to do, but ok.

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 19:36 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 19:22 -0500, Mats Ahlgren wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am keen to use Jack, but I just wanted to state my concern that:
> >
> > 1) I find Jack crashes alot unless you tweak the parameters perfectly --
> > to the point that it was very frustrating to configure. Also when you
> > upgrade it from time to time, updates tend to make Jack crash and unable
> > to start.
>
> Do you use a Debian-derived distribution? If so, talk to your
> distribution. This is not a JACK problem, its a distro-packaging
> problem. Generally.
Nope, using Suse.

> > When this happens, it makes it impossible to use any of the
> > things which rely upon Jack like Rosegarden or Ardour or software
> > synths. I'm not pointing fingers or anything; Jack is a wonderful piece
> > of software in theory, but I urge you to make it more robust if
> > possible.
>
> I upgrade JACK more frequently than most ;) I never have to recompile
> any apps (unless they are using something was changed, which has not
> been the core API for several years now). They just continue to work.
>
> > 2) Jack I find has a severe lack of error messages. Often when it
> > crashes while trying to tweak parameters,
>
> do you mean crash, or fail to start, or fail to operate correctly?
Usually it starts then immediately stops (I think? I can't tell usually,
which goes back to my suggestion). It hasn't crashed in a long time,
though for a few months if I left jack on too long then something would
hard-freeze my computer.

> > it will not say anything, even
> > in verbose mode. I've had Jack crash on me for multiple reasons, and
> > never have I had an error message in qjackctl. This makes it very hard
> > to diagnose what is going wrong and perhaps report it back to the devs,
> > which further exacerbates point #1. I would humbly recommend increasing
> > the debug errors.
>
> to diagnose what is wrong, you are recommended to not use qjackctl, but
> to start JACK from the command line.
I used to use jack from the command line. Even then it would start then just stop, or fail to start.

> there is a lot of debugging info in JACK, but the majority of it is
> disabled unless it is built with --enable-debug being passed to
> configure. distros do not ship with this option turned on.
Thanks, this may be useful if building jack from source.

> > Also I'm removing myself from the mailing list, so if anyone would like
> > to reply please CC me. Hope these suggestions help.
>
> that's not a terribly helpful thing to do, but ok.
Sorry, I'll stay subscribed for a day or two.

Best wishes,
Mats