Accessing USB audio device

Rick Mann
Hi. I'm using darkice with jack to attempt to stream audio from a USB
device I have. I've been having trouble finding documentation on how
to do this, so started just looking at the programs installed by jack.

Mac OS X, Jack 0.103.0.

> $ jackd --name jackfoo -d coreaudio -l
> jackd 0.103.0
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support.
> Device name = 'Built-in Microphone', internal_name =
> 'AppleHDAEngineInput:1' (to be used as -d parameter)
> Device name = 'Built-in Input', internal_name =
> 'AppleHDAEngineInput:2' (to be used as -d parameter)
> Device name = 'Built-in Output', internal_name =
> 'AppleHDAEngineOutput:0' (to be used as -d parameter)
> Device name = 'USB Audio CODEC ', internal_name =
> 'AppleUSBAudioEngine:Burr-Brown from TI              :USB Audio
> CODEC :3d110000:1' (to be used as -d parameter)
> Device name = 'USB Audio CODEC ', internal_name =
> 'AppleUSBAudioEngine:Burr-Brown from TI              :USB Audio
> CODEC :3d110000:2' (to be used as -d parameter)
> Default input and output devices are not the same !!
> Cannot open default device
> Cannot open the coreaudio driver
> cannot load driver module coreaudio
> no message buffer overruns

The device I want to access is known to me as "USB Audio CODEC", but
there's only one. As you can see, there are two listed above. I don't
know how to properly invoke jackd to cause it to make the audio on
the USB Audio CODEC available to darkice (I'm not quite sure how
darkice figures it out, either; it's configured with "device = jack",
but that just tells it to use jack rather than some other device;
I'll worry about that later).

The site docs on "Using Jack from the command line" are missing (404:
http://jackaudio.org/commandline).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
Rick

Re: Accessing USB audio device

Stéphane Letz

Le 31 mai 07 à 10:27, Rick Mann a écrit :

> Hi. I'm using darkice with jack to attempt to stream audio from a USB
> device I have. I've been having trouble finding documentation on how
> to do this, so started just looking at the programs installed by jack.
>
> Mac OS X, Jack 0.103.0.
>
>> $ jackd --name jackfoo -d coreaudio -l
>> jackd 0.103.0
>> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
>> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>>
>> JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support.
>> Device name = 'Built-in Microphone', internal_name =
>> 'AppleHDAEngineInput:1' (to be used as -d parameter)
>> Device name = 'Built-in Input', internal_name =
>> 'AppleHDAEngineInput:2' (to be used as -d parameter)
>> Device name = 'Built-in Output', internal_name =
>> 'AppleHDAEngineOutput:0' (to be used as -d parameter)
>> Device name = 'USB Audio CODEC ', internal_name =
>> 'AppleUSBAudioEngine:Burr-Brown from TI              :USB Audio
>> CODEC :3d110000:1' (to be used as -d parameter)
>> Device name = 'USB Audio CODEC ', internal_name =
>> 'AppleUSBAudioEngine:Burr-Brown from TI              :USB Audio
>> CODEC :3d110000:2' (to be used as -d parameter)
>> Default input and output devices are not the same !!
>> Cannot open default device
>> Cannot open the coreaudio driver
>> cannot load driver module coreaudio
>> no message buffer overruns
>

> The device I want to access is known to me as "USB Audio CODEC", but
> there's only one. As you can see, there are two listed above. I don't
> know how to properly invoke jackd to cause it to make the audio on
> the USB Audio CODEC available to darkice (I'm not quite sure how
> darkice figures it out, either; it's configured with "device = jack",
> but that just tells it to use jack rather than some other device;
> I'll worry about that later).
>
> The site docs on "Using Jack from the command line" are missing (404:
> http://jackaudio.org/commandline).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>

> --
> Rick

On OSX, USB devices usually appears in the system as 2 separated
CoreAudio devices for input and output. The way to go is to
"aggregate" them in a unique duplex device using the Audio/Midi setup
tool. Then a new "duplex" (or any name you've chosen) should appear
in the list when doing jackd --name jackfoo -d coreaudio -l, then
you'll have to use the correct internal name as the -d parameter.

Stephane