Again problem with scheduling priority

Chuckk Hubbard
Hallo.
jackd version 0.103.0 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 16
2.6.22.1-rt9
Debian testing

I've just noticed that I am unable to set jackd priority on the command line.  I have a script set up to use "sudo chrt" to change it, but when I comment out that line in the script, jackd runs at 0 with schedule "other".

My script:
sudo chrt -fp 82 `pidof "IRQ-16"`
jackd --realtime -P 70 -dalsa -P -p256 -n2 -r44100 &
sudo chrt -fp 70 `pidof "jackd"`
chrt -p `pidof "IRQ-16"`
chrt -p `pidof "jackd"`
exit

If I comment out the second sudo chrt line, the last line returns:
pid 5032's current scheduling policy: SCHED_OTHER
pid 5032's current scheduling priority: 0
otherwise it is SCHED_FF and 70.

My kernel has:
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_DESKTOP is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_SOFTIRQS=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_HARDIRQS=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y
# CONFIG_CLASSIC_RCU is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y

/etc/security/limits.conf has:
@audio         -     nice         -10
@audio         -     rtprio         99
@audio         -     memlock     unlimited

and user "chuckk" is in group "audio".

Lastly, the output from my script when the second sudo chrt line is commented out:
------------------------------
pid 684's current scheduling policy: SCHED_FIFO
pid 684's current scheduling priority: 82
jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

pid 5132's current scheduling policy: SCHED_OTHER
pid 5132's current scheduling priority: 0
Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|-|256|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 256 frames, buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

Re: Again problem with scheduling priority

Dragan Noveski
Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> Hallo.
> jackd version 0.103.0 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 16
> 2.6.22.1-rt9
> Debian testing
>
> I've just noticed that I am unable to set jackd priority on the
> command line.  I have a script set up to use "sudo chrt" to change it,
> but when I comment out that line in the script, jackd runs at 0 with
> schedule "other".
>
> My script:
> sudo chrt -fp 82 `pidof "IRQ-16"`
> jackd --realtime -P 70 -dalsa -P -p256 -n2 -r44100 &
> sudo chrt -fp 70 `pidof "jackd"`
> chrt -p `pidof "IRQ-16"`
> chrt -p `pidof "jackd"`
> exit
>
> If I comment out the second sudo chrt line, the last line returns:
> pid 5032's current scheduling policy: SCHED_OTHER
> pid 5032's current scheduling priority: 0
> otherwise it is SCHED_FF and 70.
>
> My kernel has:
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT_DESKTOP is not set
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_SOFTIRQS=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_HARDIRQS=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y
> # CONFIG_CLASSIC_RCU is not set
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
>
> /etc/security/limits.conf has:
> @audio         -     nice         -10
> @audio         -     rtprio         99
> @audio         -     memlock     unlimited
>
> and user "chuckk" is in group "audio".

this is a bit off-topic, but i think that the value 'unlimited' is not
accepted.
i had this some time ago, and than i found somewhere in
/var/lib/(messages) that 'unlimited' is a unknown value.

cheers,
doc

> Lastly, the output from my script when the second sudo chrt line is
> commented out:
> ------------------------------
> pid 684's current scheduling policy: SCHED_FIFO
> pid 684's current scheduling priority: 82
> jackd 0.103.0
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> pid 5132's current scheduling policy: SCHED_OTHER
> pid 5132's current scheduling priority: 0
> Enhanced3DNow! detected
> SSE2 detected
> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|-|256|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 256 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
>
> --------------------------------------
>
> Thanks!
> -Chuckk
>
> --
> http://www.badmuthahubbard.com

Re: Again problem with scheduling priority

Chuckk Hubbard
As far as being off-topic, Jack is not responding to the -P flag, I don't think that's off topic.  Also, this is the list where I was shown how to do all this before, and I was hoping some of the people whose advice I am following would have some idea why it isn't working.  Strangely, I also got a notice in French that looks like it says my post didn't get through to some recipients... hmm.

I will check around in /var/lib, but I believe I have most logging turned off.  Seems like there should be some huge but finite value that could fill in for 'unlimited', no?
Thanks for the tip!

-Chuckk

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> As far as being off-topic, Jack is not responding to the -P flag, I
> don't think that's off topic.  Also, this is the list where I was
> shown how to do all this before, and I was hoping some of the people
> whose advice I am following would have some idea why it isn't
> working.  Strangely, I also got a notice in French that looks like it
> says my post didn't get through to some recipients... hmm.
>
> I will check around in /var/lib,
hey sorry, it is in /var/log of caurse!

cheers,
doc

> but I believe I have most logging turned off.  Seems like there should
> be some huge but finite value that could fill in for 'unlimited', no?
> Thanks for the tip!
>
> -Chuckk
>
> On 10/20/07, *Dragan Noveski* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     this is a bit off-topic, but i think that the value 'unlimited' is not
>     accepted.
>     i had this some time ago, and than i found somewhere in
>     /var/lib/(messages) that 'unlimited' is a unknown value.
>
>     cheers,
>     doc
>     >
>
>     >
>     > Lastly, the output from my script when the second sudo chrt line is
>     > commented out:
>     > ------------------------------
>     > pid 684's current scheduling policy: SCHED_FIFO
>     > pid 684's current scheduling priority: 82
>     > jackd 0.103.0
>     > Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
>     > jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>     > This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>     > under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>     >
>     > JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
>     > pid 5132's current scheduling policy: SCHED_OTHER
>     > pid 5132's current scheduling priority: 0
>     > Enhanced3DNow! detected
>     > SSE2 detected
>     > apparent rate = 44100
>     > creating alsa driver ...
>     hw:0|-|256|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
>     > control device hw:0
>     > configuring for 44100Hz, period = 256 frames, buffer = 2 periods
>     > ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
>     > ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
>     >
>     > --------------------------------------
>     >
>     > Thanks!
>     > -Chuckk
>     >
>     > --
>     > http://www.badmuthahubbard.com
>     >
>     > Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
>     > Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a
>     browser.
>     > Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/
>     >
>     >
>

> --
> http://www.badmuthahubbard.com

Problem with list server?

John Rigg-3
On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 10:06:27AM +0300, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> Strangely, I also got a notice in French that looks like it says
> my post didn't get through to some recipients... hmm.

I got one of those too, along with another in Italian. Makes me wonder
if something is wrong with the mailing list server.

John

Re: Again problem with scheduling priority

Chuckk Hubbard
Update: I tried memlock 4000000, as I saw worked for someone online, but jackd still won't set its own priority.  This makes me suspect I'm not getting rt priority.  At any rate I'm having to use sudo to set it.