An analyzer jack client

hpernu

Hi,

I have been searching for an application to perform real time
online frequency response measurement for Linux preferably connnecting.

The requirements a
re fairly simple: ability to connect two inputs
with the first one being the input signal(master) going to amplifier
and the second one the measured signal. The software would continuously
calculate the frequency response between these two allowing equalization
changes in a live situation.

Jack connectivity is a plus, allowing to route the signal correctly
in a situation where the equalization is also done with Linux.
Most prefessional audio software seems to be jack aware anyway
nowadays.

Such a software seems to be available for Windows. However, I cannot
find anything suitable for Linux.

Is there anything?

If this list is not the best possible, could you suggest another
place to ask or search for such a software(Google didn't give
me the answer)?

Re: An analyzer jack client

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 7/19/05, hpernu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been searching for an application to perform real time
> online frequency response measurement for Linux preferably connnecting.

freqtweak and jaaa?

Alexandre

Re: An analyzer jack client

Alfons Adriaensen
On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 04:29:38PM +0300, hpernu wrote:

> The requirements a
> re fairly simple: ability to connect two inputs
> with the first one being the input signal(master) going to amplifier
> and the second one the measured signal. The software would continuously
> calculate the frequency response between these two allowing equalization
> changes in a live situation.

Could you explain what you want to do with this, i.e. why you need
to *compare* two spectra ?

Other question, does your application require a log frequency scale
and constant relative bandwidth analysis, or a linear one with constant
absolute bandwidth analysis ?

Jaaa (http://users.skynet.be/solaris/linuxaudio) provides the latter,
with switchable inputs, but no compare. It's designed to do measurements
on audio hw (or sw), not for setting e.g. 1/3 octave graphic equaliser.

--
fA

Re: An analyzer jack client

LGTrader
On 7/19/05, Alfons Adriaensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 04:29:38PM +0300, hpernu wrote:
>
> > The requirements a
> > re fairly simple: ability to connect two inputs
> > with the first one being the input signal(master) going to amplifier
> > and the second one the measured signal. The software would continuously
> > calculate the frequency response between these two allowing equalization
> > changes in a live situation.
>
> Could you explain what you want to do with this, i.e. why you need
> to *compare* two spectra ?
>
> Other question, does your application require a log frequency scale
> and constant relative bandwidth analysis, or a linear one with constant
> absolute bandwidth analysis ?
>
> Jaaa (http://users.skynet.be/solaris/linuxaudio) provides the latter,
> with switchable inputs, but no compare. It's designed to do measurements
> on audio hw (or sw), not for setting e.g. 1/3 octave graphic equaliser.

Second only to the capabilites Jamin provides which replaces most of
the Waves L1 and the Wave C4, the thing I miss most about Linux audio
analysis is the Waves PAZ analyzer:

http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=154

I suspect that this, or something like it, is what the original poster
was looking for. so far there doesn't seem to be anything like it in
Linux. Dare I say we need to issue a challenge to our leading
developers? ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

Re: An analyzer jack client

Alfons Adriaensen
On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 08:55:30AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Second only to the capabilites Jamin provides which replaces most of
> the Waves L1 and the Wave C4, the thing I miss most about Linux audio
> analysis is the Waves PAZ analyzer:
>
> http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=154

Looks cute, but what useful purpose does this have in a music
production context ? As Waves point out in the blurb, it uses
'psychoacoustic' filters (which means they can be less accurate
that e.g. a conforming 1/3 octave set, and cheaper) and 'you
see what you hear' (so it provides little new information).

There is no specification at all of the filters used, so AFAIK,
this is just a visualisation gadget.

Re: An analyzer jack client

LGTrader
If you haven't used it you'll never understand. It's wonderful for 'seeing'.

On 7/20/05, Alfons Adriaensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 08:55:30AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Second only to the capabilites Jamin provides which replaces most of
> > the Waves L1 and the Wave C4, the thing I miss most about Linux audio
> > analysis is the Waves PAZ analyzer:
> >
> > http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=154
>
> Looks cute, but what useful purpose does this have in a music
> production context ? As Waves point out in the blurb, it uses
> 'psychoacoustic' filters (which means they can be less accurate
> that e.g. a conforming 1/3 octave set, and cheaper) and 'you
> see what you hear' (so it provides little new information).
>
> There is no specification at all of the filters used, so AFAIK,
> this is just a visualisation gadget.
>
> --
> FA

Re: An analyzer jack client

Alfons Adriaensen
On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 05:30:46AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> If you haven't used it you'll never understand. It's wonderful for 'seeing'.

I hope so ! Since there is no audio output, you can't listen to it :-)

But apart from the entertainment value, what useful and relevant
information is there to be seen ? What can you *do* with the
information it provides ?

At one of the places I used to work, we had a 1/3 octave band analyser
sitting on top of the mixer's meter bridge. There was this one producer
who insisted we mixed to obtain a 'filled spectrum with no gaps and
peaks'. That's pure nonsense of course, and he didn't last very long.

Re: An analyzer jack client

Lukas Erni
hi there

since I use jaaa in my homerec enviroment - usualy to analyze recorded
and proceeded nois - and like it a lot but also miss some
functionality - called "visualisation gadgets" I'll try to explain
how I see it or what I miss from my users perspective.

4 Inputs -> 4 colors would be nice. the ability to make a separat
freez for each chanel and also have the ability to make the freez
data for each chanel visible or not while the active chanel is still
responding.

for example this would be usefull if one input is pre the other post.
you then could see the differences from the active input and a
freezed courve in the background which you could make visibel or not
for each chanel separatly. probable this wold be most usefull if the
sound plays in a loop and vid.av turned on in jaa.

stereo possition and anti-phase analysis like paz in paz is not that
important to me but probable it would be usefull for others?

mark: does my wishlist somehow fit with that what you're missing on
linuxside?

fonds: you told me on the lac there is now a mailinglist for aeolus. I
wonder if my subscription is valid or is it that quiet on the list?

best regards
lukas

Re: An analyzer jack client

Fons Adriaensen
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 01:02:29PM +0200, Lukas Erni wrote:

> 4 Inputs -> 4 colors would be nice. the ability to make a separat
> freez for each chanel and also have the ability to make the freez
> data for each chanel visible or not while the active chanel is still
> responding.

These are all things I've been considering for a while, I'm just
waiting for a less busy period...

Of course, analysing several channels at the same time will
increase the CPU load, so this really needs to be an option.

> stereo possition and anti-phase analysis like paz in paz is not that
> important to me but probable it would be usefull for others?

The PAZ stereo display really looks like a gadget to me, but it's
maybe not too difficult to implement. If it works like I think it
does, it would certainly be less CPU-hungry than a real vector
display of the stereo signal.

As your message came in, I was testing things for an analyser
that could be quite similar to the Waves PAZ. It would use
a 'warped FFT' algorithm to get a frequency scale close to the
BARK or ERB scales. The processing required is not trivial
in terms of CPU usage (the code itself is not so complex).
It would add about 6% CPU usage per active channel as
compared to JAAA (P4, 2GHz). This would be a 'musical'
tool, rather a technical one such as JAAA.
BTW, does anyone have CPU loading figures for the PAZ ?

> fonds: you told me on the lac there is now a mailinglist for aeolus. I
> wonder if my subscription is valid or is it that quiet on the list?

If you got the confirmation from the mailinglist then you are
subscribed. Discussions seem to happen in bursts on aeolus-user -
on monday and tuesday there was a lot of activity, but ATM things
are quiet. Aeolus-dev is very low-noise as there are very few people
who have worked through the cryptic and undocumented sources, so
ATM everything happens on -user.

If you are not sure, post a small message with [TEST-IGNORE] as the
subject.

--
Fons