Building on OS X

Darrin Smart
Hi Folks,

Newbie question: Are there any instructions for building on Mac OSX? I
just checked out the source from CVS but the macosx/jack.pbproj
directory is empty and autogen.sh fails on my mac. Perhaps there are
some prerequisites that need installing first?

Thanks.

Darrin

stingray:~/src/jack darrin$ ./autogen.sh
./autogen.sh: line 17: libtoolize: command not found
configure.ac: installing `config/install-sh'
configure.ac: installing `config/mkinstalldirs'
configure.ac: installing `config/missing'
/usr/bin/automake line 8449.
: installing `config/config.guess'
/usr/bin/automake line 8449.
: installing `config/config.sub'
aclocal.m4:982: required file `config/ltmain.sh' not found
drivers/alsa/Makefile.am: installing `config/depcomp'
libjack/Makefile.am: installing `config/compile'
Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode ...
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/bin/sed
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -p
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for g77... no
checking for f77... no
checking for xlf... no
checking for frt... no
checking for pgf77... no
checking for fort77... no
checking for fl32... no
checking for af77... no
checking for f90... no
checking for xlf90... no
checking for pgf90... no
checking for epcf90... no
checking for f95... no
checking for fort... no
checking for xlf95... no
checking for ifc... no
checking for efc... no
checking for pgf95... no
checking for lf95... no
checking for gfortran... no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 65536
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -p output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if gcc static flag  works... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fno-common
checking if gcc PIC flag -fno-common works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin8.2.0 dyld
checking whether to build static libraries... no
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes
checking platform dependencies... os/macosx, cpu/powerpc
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking getopt.h usability... yes
checking getopt.h presence... yes
checking for getopt.h... yes
checking /usr/include/nptl/pthread.h usability... no
checking /usr/include/nptl/pthread.h presence... no
checking for /usr/include/nptl/pthread.h... no
checking for getopt_long... yes
checking for gethostent... yes
checking for setsockopt... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for dlopen... yes
checking for pthread_create... yes
checking for on_exit... no
checking for atexit... yes
checking for posix_memalign... no
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for shm_open... yes
checking shared memory support... POSIX shm_open().
checking whether we can compile Altivec code... no
configure: WARNING: The assembler does not support the Altivec command set.
checking for pthread_barrier_init in -lpthread... no
checking for Pa_Initialize in -lportaudio... no
checking CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h usability... yes
checking CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h presence... yes
checking for CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h... yes
checking sys/soundcard.h usability... no
checking sys/soundcard.h presence... no
checking for sys/soundcard.h... no
./configure: line 22850: syntax error near unexpected token `ALSA,'
./configure: line 22850: `      PKG_CHECK_MODULES(ALSA, alsa >= 1.0.0,'
stingray:~/src/jack darrin$

Re: Building on OS X

Erik de Castro Lopo-7
Darrin Smart wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Newbie question: Are there any instructions for building on Mac OSX? I
> just checked out the source from CVS but the macosx/jack.pbproj
> directory is empty and autogen.sh fails on my mac. Perhaps there are
> some prerequisites that need installing first?

Hi Darrin,

Did you work at Farilight in Sydney about 5 years ago? If so, hi,
remember me? :-)

> stingray:~/src/jack darrin$ ./autogen.sh
> ./autogen.sh: line 17: libtoolize: command not found

In autogen.sh, you may need to replace libtoolize with glibtoolize
on MacOSX.

> configure.ac: installing `config/install-sh'
> configure.ac: installing `config/mkinstalldirs'
> configure.ac: installing `config/missing'

I'm pretty sure these are due to the missing libtoolize. Once
this is screwed the rest of the errors are pretty much irrelevant.

Cheers,
Erik

Re: Building on OS X

Darrin Smart
Thanks Erik, Melanie for the replies. I'll give it a go and report back.

Erik yes its me. How's it going? Funny you should reply I was just
downloading libsndfile. I'll send you an email off-list.

Darrin

Re: Building on OS X

Jack O'Quin-2

> Darrin Smart wrote:
>> Newbie question: Are there any instructions for building on Mac OSX? I
>> just checked out the source from CVS but the macosx/jack.pbproj
>> directory is empty and autogen.sh fails on my mac. Perhaps there are
>> some prerequisites that need installing first?

The jack/config/os/macosx/README file has some (probably incomplete)
information.  I have not tried it recently and not at all with OS X
Tiger...

  Build Dependencies
  ==================

  Apple Developer Tools
    gcc 2.95.x or 3.x, the standard OSX 10.3 gcc-3.3 compiler works fine
    MacOSX10.3 SDK package

  GNU tools
    autoconf >= 2.57
    automake >= 1.6.3

  optional tools
    libtool >= 1.5 (to build from CVS)
    pkg-config >= 0.15.0  (to build from CVS)
    doxygen (to build documentation)
    libsndfile >= 1.0.0 (for some example-clients)
    GNU readline (for some example-clients)

  All non-Apple tools are available from `fink' or `darwinports'.

  Since fink is not well-integrated with OS X, you must define a bunch
  of environment variables...

    export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /sw/share/aclocal"
    export CFLAGS="-I/sw/include"
    export CPPFLAGS=$CFLAGS
    export LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib"
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig"

Erik de Castro Lopo <[hidden email]> writes:
> In autogen.sh, you may need to replace libtoolize with glibtoolize
> on MacOSX.

The script handles that already, so "glibtoolize" must be missing from
your search path...

  if which libtoolize >/dev/null
  then
      LIBTOOLIZE=libtoolize
  else
      if which glibtoolize >/dev/null
      then
  # on the Mac it's called glibtoolize for some reason
  LIBTOOLIZE=glibtoolize
      else
  echo "libtoolize not found"
  exit 1
      fi
  fi

--
  joq

Re: Building on OS X

Kito-2

On Aug 17, 2005, at 5:26 PM, Jack O'Quin wrote:

>> Darrin Smart wrote:
>>> Newbie question: Are there any instructions for building on Mac
>>> OSX? I
>>> just checked out the source from CVS but the macosx/jack.pbproj
>>> directory is empty and autogen.sh fails on my mac. Perhaps there are
>>> some prerequisites that need installing first?

Probably need autoconf >= 2.59, but I'm not too sure as I have
several versions available on my machines.

 >=jack-0.99.0 should compile on OS X out of the box with a simple ./
configure && make && sudo make install

> The jack/config/os/macosx/README file has some (probably incomplete)
> information.  I have not tried it recently and not at all with OS X
> Tiger...
>
>   Build Dependencies
>   ==================
>
>   Apple Developer Tools
>     gcc 2.95.x or 3.x, the standard OSX 10.3 gcc-3.3 compiler works
> fine
>     MacOSX10.3 SDK package
>
>   GNU tools
>     autoconf >= 2.57
>     automake >= 1.6.3
>
>   optional tools
>     libtool >= 1.5 (to build from CVS)
>     pkg-config >= 0.15.0  (to build from CVS)
>     doxygen (to build documentation)
>     libsndfile >= 1.0.0 (for some example-clients)
>     GNU readline (for some example-clients)
>
>   All non-Apple tools are available from `fink' or `darwinports'.
>
>   Since fink is not well-integrated with OS X, you must define a bunch
>   of environment variables...
>
>     export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /sw/share/aclocal"
>     export CFLAGS="-I/sw/include"
>     export CPPFLAGS=$CFLAGS
>     export LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib"
>     export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/
> usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig"
>

>>> stingray:~/src/jack darrin$ ./autogen.sh
>>> ./autogen.sh: line 17: libtoolize: command not found
>
> Erik de Castro Lopo <[hidden email]> writes:
>> In autogen.sh, you may need to replace libtoolize with glibtoolize
>> on MacOSX.
>
> The script handles that already, so "glibtoolize" must be missing from
> your search path...

its in /usr/bin/glibtoolize, the script works fine for me on 10.4 FWIW.

>   if which libtoolize >/dev/null
>   then
>       LIBTOOLIZE=libtoolize
>   else
>       if which glibtoolize >/dev/null
>       then
>   # on the Mac it's called glibtoolize for some reason
>   LIBTOOLIZE=glibtoolize
>       else
>   echo "libtoolize not found"
>   exit 1
>       fi
>   fi
>
> --
>   joq

> Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams *
> Testing & QA
> Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/
> bsce5sf

Re: Building on OS X

Darrin Smart
On 8/17/05, Jack O'Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The script handles that already, so "glibtoolize" must be missing from
> your search path...
>
>   if which libtoolize >/dev/null
>   then
>       LIBTOOLIZE=libtoolize
>   else
>       if which glibtoolize >/dev/null
>       then
>         # on the Mac it's called glibtoolize for some reason
>         LIBTOOLIZE=glibtoolize
>       else
>         echo "libtoolize not found"
>         exit 1
>       fi
>   fi

Ah, this turned out to be the problem - /usr/bin/which returns the
same exit code if the program exists or not, so the fragment above
never sets LIBTOOLIZE to glibtoolize (which was in my path in
/usr/bin.

I tried this with bash and zsh as my shell. Perhaps other shells have
a 'which' builtin that behaves differently?

Anyway, I added a quick hack for glibtoolize and it gets a bit
further, but unfortunately still dies:

stingray% sh ./autogen.sh
Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `config'.
[...]
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fno-common
checking if g++ PIC flag -fno-common works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin8.2.0 dyld
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
[...]

melanie-36
Hi,

apparently the macro to test for alsa is not there. That is to be
expected, because you don't have alsa. However, normally the
macros in the m4 subdir shouldbe self-contained, so that is a
bug. There may be an option --without-alsa or such (don't have a
source tree handy to check) that will skip the check for alsa
entirely.

Melanie