Capturing Audio Data

Ernest G. Ngaruiya
Hi all,
I am making a very simple app that needs access to audio data while some audio
application like xmms or amarok is playing. I would generally like to avoid
writing a visualization plugin for xmms while all I need really is not much
more than the amplitude of the signal (it wouldn't hurt if I could access the
frequency data too). I have Jack installed on my debian box.

Thanks,
Ernest