Client/server version mismatch

Lee Revell
What error message is supposed to be generated when the client and
server were build against incompatible JACK versions?  AFAICT it just
leads to bizarre behavior.  Can't this be handled cleanly?

Lee

Re: Client/server version mismatch

Paul Davis
On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 16:02 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> What error message is supposed to be generated when the client and
> server were build against incompatible JACK versions?  AFAICT it just
> leads to bizarre behavior.  Can't this be handled cleanly?

do yiu have a suggestion for how it could be done?

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 16:12 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 16:02 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> > What error message is supposed to be generated when the client and
> > server were build against incompatible JACK versions?  AFAICT it just
> > leads to bizarre behavior.  Can't this be handled cleanly?
>
> do yiu have a suggestion for how it could be done?

No, I sure don't.  I remember from discussions on this list that we bump
the protocol version number when making changes that will lead to binary
incompatibility which I thought implied that there was or could be a
mechanism to inform the user of such a version mismatch.

Lee

Re: Client/server version mismatch

Taybin Rutkin
I thought we already checked and exited with an error on version mismatch between libjack and jackd.  Are you talking about something else?

Taybin

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 16:31 -0500, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> I thought we already checked and exited with an error on version mismatch between libjack and jackd.  Are you talking about something else?

I have seen a lot of reports of weird problems on this list that were
caused by having multiple JACK versions installed (usually an ancient
distro package and a newer self compiled one) and were solved by
removing one, and the user never saw an error about a version mismatch.
Maybe this is a different problem.

Lee

Re: Client/server version mismatch

Taybin Rutkin
That can cause weirdness even if they are the same version and is not something we check for.

Taybin

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 16:31 -0500, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> I thought we already checked and exited with an error on version mismatch between libjack and jackd.  Are you talking about something else?

I have seen a lot of reports of weird problems on this list that were
caused by having multiple JACK versions installed (usually an ancient
distro package and a newer self compiled one) and were solved by
removing one, and the user never saw an error about a version mismatch.
Maybe this is a different problem.

Lee

Re: Client/server version mismatch

Jack O'Quin-2

Lee Revell <[hidden email]> writes:
> No, I sure don't.  I remember from discussions on this list that we bump
> the protocol version number when making changes that will lead to binary
> incompatibility which I thought implied that there was or could be a
> mechanism to inform the user of such a version mismatch.

Recent versions of JACK handle this much better than before (though
not perfectly, I'm sure).

The main problem is that very old versions lack much of the needed
version and protocol information in shared memory.  We try to detect
this, and I believe we mostly succeed.  But, there is no way to
guarantee results in every case.

I believe the situation is gradually getting better as distributions
ship newer JACK packages.
--
  joq