Control Channels

Alex Austin
I've seen it discussed before, but (I think) I have a new twist on the
idea. So that there is no ambiguity on what I'm proposing, I want to
be able to write a program with audio tracks and envelope tracks.
Arbitrary envelope tracks should be routeable to control channels to
adjust attributes of various plugins. An example would be delay time
on a reverb plugin.

Two ways for control channels:

1)

Double the "samples" in the control channel as the audio channel. Each
sample pair has a Value and a Delta Value describing the rate of
change of that element.

2)

The control buffer for each audio segment is filled with a string of structs:

struct ControlSegment {
   double len; // milliseconds that this segment lasts
   double value; // The beginning value of this segment
   double delta; // The rate of change for this section
}

So a 1hz sawtooth ranging from -1 to 1 would look like the following:

{500, -1, 4}, {500, 1, -4}, (repeat the length of this block)

I must admit my ignorance in that I have never written a piece of
software for speed, or even audio. My programming skills are (I think)
pretty mediocre because most things I want I can do with shell
scripts.

Re: Control Channels

Lee Revell
On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 00:28 -0500, Alex Austin wrote:
> I've seen it discussed before, but (I think) I have a new twist on the
> idea. So that there is no ambiguity on what I'm proposing, I want to
> be able to write a program with audio tracks and envelope tracks.
> Arbitrary envelope tracks should be routeable to control channels to
> adjust attributes of various plugins. An example would be delay time
> on a reverb plugin.

Congratulations, you just re-invented MIDI.

Lee