Crackling on USB (Tascam US-122)

Matt Savigear-9
Hello all,

I have successfully used a Tascam US-122 for some years, but today it
started producing crackly output when using JACK. Even a reboot
(including complete power down of the card) does not seem to clear the
problem despite the fact I haven't changed any settings since yesterday
- when it was working fine. No xruns or other snags are reported by jack.

Diagnostics thus far:
* Tascam output is fine under plain ALSA.
* My other sound card in this machine (SB Live) is fine under JACK. I
  did have to change the parameters to get jack to start of course, but
  I also tried the Tascam under more forgiving settings and it didn't
  help.
* The same issue strikes using ardour and audacious.

Here are my jackd parameters and output:

/usr/bin/jackd -R -P80 -p128 -dalsa -dhw:1 -r44100 -p512 -n3 -i2 -o2 -H

jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|512|3|44100|2|2|hwmon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:1
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 3 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 24bit little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 24bit little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for playback

Can anyone suggest where I might look to resolve this one?

--
Cheers,

Matt.

"It's okay, my wife exploded after she finished making my pie."

Re: Crackling on USB (Tascam US-122)

Matt Savigear-9
Additional info: I have noticed lines such as the following turning up
in dmesg, though jackd still seems to be running:

jackd[6890]: segfault at 00000000000003dc rip 00002b35aa410071 rsp
00007fff006a8e90 error 4

--
Cheers,

Matt.

Re: Crackling on USB (Tascam US-122)

Matt Savigear-9
OK, I've tried a great deal to get this working, and had no feedback
whatsoever on this list (which is fine, if nobody has any ideas that's
they way it goes). Can anyone at least suggest other good places to ask
for help?

--
Cheers,

Matt.

"Why are the pretty ones always insane?" - Clancy Wiggum

Re: Crackling on USB (Tascam US-122)

Quentin Harley
Matt Savigear wrote:
> OK, I've tried a great deal to get this working, and had no feedback
> whatsoever on this list (which is fine, if nobody has any ideas that's
> they way it goes). Can anyone at least suggest other good places to ask
> for help?

Sorry I do not know the Tascam at all, but if you can lay your hands on
another one you could perhaps eliminate hardware failure from the
equation.  The stuff works hard for us, but they have a limited life as
well.  It is like my Sony F707 that is slowly slipping away after more
than 20000 images taken... Sad.

Let's hope for software failure then!

Cheers,
Quentin

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Let's hope for software failure then!

It works flawlessly under plain ALSA, so I'm pretty sure this is a jack
problem.

Matt.

Re: Crackling on USB (Tascam US-122)

Rui Nuno Capela

On Fri, July 20, 2007 09:47, Matt Savigear wrote:
> Quentin Harley wrote:
>
>> Let's hope for software failure then!
>>

> It works flawlessly under plain ALSA, so I'm pretty sure this is a jack
> problem.

Based on my US-224 experience, you should be:

a) using the default alsa backend and pcm interface:

   - modprobe.conf: options snd-usb-usx2y index=N

   - QjackCtl(jackd):

     Interface (-d) = hw:N,0
     Frames/Buffer (-p) >= 256
     Buffers/Period (-n) >= 2

b) using the "raw usb" alsa backend pcm interface:

   - modprobe.conf: options snd-usb-usx2y index=N nrpacks=1

   - QjackCtl(jackd):

     Interface (-d) = hw:N,2
     Frames/Buffer (-p) >= 128
     Buffers/Period (-n) >= 2

You should try whether a) gets it right in the first place.

Then note that b) is a very special and unique to the tascam us-x2y
devices and jackd/alsa combination. You should really try 'coz it really
kicks ass on all USB audio scene ;) Simply put, it's the only mode that
you run with 128x2 buffers (~5ms latency) without nasty
glitches/crackling. A fully tuned realtime-preempt kernel is highly
recommended if not mandatory tho.

Cheers.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> Based on my US-224 experience, you should be:
>
> a) using the default alsa backend and pcm interface:

Have now tried this one (I had nrpacks in there already as I used to
have my US-428 on this machine) but I still get exactly the same trouble.

> Then note that b) is a very special and unique to the tascam us-x2y
> devices and jackd/alsa combination. You should really try 'coz it really
> kicks ass on all USB audio scene ;) Simply put, it's the only mode that
> you run with 128x2 buffers (~5ms latency) without nasty
> glitches/crackling. A fully tuned realtime-preempt kernel is highly
> recommended if not mandatory tho.

Oh yes, I needed to learn all this for my US-428 earlier in the year.
That one worked fine on this machine too, so I must have broken
something somewhere. The trouble is, as ALSA still works I'm having a
devil of a job finding anything that might be the culprit. The USB must
still be working fine after all.

I can't get rt-sources to boot unfortunately, so that isn't an ideal
situation.

--
Cheers,

Matt.

Re: Crackling on USB (Tascam US-122)

Vince Werber
This won't help I am sure but back when I was running the 2.4.x kernels I had
an intermittent problem with crackling and sometimes even uncontrollable
gain, so much so forget the 'panic button' toss the machine out on the
lawn...

Since I've upgraded to kernel 2.6.13.x  things have gone so smooth that I
can't even help anyone because things just fell together...  and I am using
Intel hardware!  go figure!  I literally didn't change a thing from
'stock'...  I have done the fine tune thing but not much to write home
about...

Problems are one thing but sometimes when things go 'too right' it is scary
also :-)

73
vince
ka1iic