Crackling

FERLET Patrice
Hello everybody

So, I'm Patrice, old linux user... and recently trying to use Jack to work with Ardour...

Here are my troubles:
i use a presario 2100 (laptop) AMD 2000XP+ with Mandriva Linux (kernel 2.6.11-9 multimedia with realtime optims)
1Go RAM

I use a external soundcard: SoundBlaster MP3+ (USB)

I have 2 pbs:

- First: I don't know why but Alsa isn't working with my card... in fact alsa has set my 2 card (internal and external card) but only the internal works fine.
If i try to connect Jack with alsa for my usb soundcard... jack crashes and screams lot of insults...

- Second: OSS works,  to record into soundtracker is really good without jack and duplex mode is ok.
With Jack i have lot of cracklings... only on full duplex. If i listen what i have recorded the sound is good... so this is the duplex mode... only on playing.

Maybe this is OSS, but why Jack cannot use my Alsa drivers ?
Is it possible to work with 1 card to record and 1 card to play ?

PS: i use qjackctl to set jackd

Thanks

Re: Crackling

Clemens Ladisch
FERLET Patrice wrote:
> If i try to connect Jack with alsa for my usb soundcard... jack
> crashes and screams lot of insults...

What kind of insults?  What period size did you try to use?

> OSS works,
> With Jack i have lot of cracklings... only on full duplex.

Please try ALSA 1.0.10rc1.

Regards,
Clemens