Documentation

Johan Vromans
Hi,

Before I start annoying you with stupid questions, please point me to
the documentation.

"An introduction to using JACK" -- does not exist
"Jack FAQ" -- some unseful info, but very limited
"Using JACK from the command line" -- page not found
"System configuration for success, joy and eternal happiness" -- does
not exist.

I'm trying to use Jack 0.103.0 on Fedora Core 6.

Thanks,
        Johan

Re: Documentation

Quentin Harley
Johan Vromans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Before I start annoying you with stupid questions, please point me to
> the documentation.
>
> "An introduction to using JACK" -- does not exist
> "Jack FAQ" -- some unseful info, but very limited
> "Using JACK from the command line" -- page not found
> "System configuration for success, joy and eternal happiness" -- does
> not exist.
>
> I'm trying to use Jack 0.103.0 on Fedora Core 6.

We have a jack guide on the 64studio website,

http://www.64studio.com/quickstart_jack

If you have many issues using jack in fedora 6, why not try 64studio on
for size, It has 64 and 32bit builds available, and using your sound
apps will be a breeze from the very start.

http://www.64studio.com

Cheers,
Quentin

Re: Documentation

Johan Vromans
[Quoting Quentin Harley, on July 11 2007, 12:03, in "Re: Documentation"]
> We have a jack guide on the 64studio website,
> http://www.64studio.com/quickstart_jack

Thanks.

> If you have many issues using jack in fedora 6, why not try 64studio
> on for size,

I downloaded it, to find out that it is a clean system install (which
is not quite what I currently wish to do).

Basically, I currently experience the following problems with Jack on
Fedora Core 6.

First, in the Connections Window, I see an alsa_pcm writable client
with 6 playback ports. By default Jack connects clients to the first
ports (ports 1 and 2). On my system, only ports 3 and 4 give sound, so
I only want to use these. How can I configure that?

Second: Xruns, xruns, xruns. I have a very fast system (Intel Core2
Duo E6300) with 2Gig memory. But even when the system is doing nothing
I continuously get series of xruns. Most of them are 10-15 usecs,
sometimes 100 usecs or worse. I'm using realtime priority, prio 0, 128
frames, 2 periods. The latency is 5.8 msec and the CPU load (according
to qjackctl) is well below 1%. JACK tempdir is /dev/shm, mounted as
tmpfs. I also get messages like: delay of 5805.000 usecs exceeds
estimated spare time of 2874.000; restart ...

Third (though this may be related to the xruns): The sound produced is
heavily distorted, like an old fashioned radio receiver standing next
to a fluorescent tube. When I play sound with Audacity via ALSA it
sounds okay. Via Jack, it is distorted.

There may be more problems, but these are currently show stopping for
me.

I hope someone can point me to the information how to solve this.

-- Johan

Re: Documentation

Quentin Harley
Johan Vromans wrote:
> First, in the Connections Window, I see an alsa_pcm writable client
> with 6 playback ports. By default Jack connects clients to the first
> ports (ports 1 and 2). On my system, only ports 3 and 4 give sound, so
> I only want to use these. How can I configure that?

Fist, connect your player to the ports you want it connected to.  Easy
enough.
Then, in qjackctrl, open the patchbay dialog, Create a new profile in
which you only leave the port you want connected active, and activate
the profile.  While the application might open it own link to 1,2 your
new connection to 3,4 should be automatically made, giving you sound.
> Second: Xruns, xruns, xruns. I have a very fast system (Intel Core2
> Duo E6300) with 2Gig memory. But even when the system is doing nothing
> I continuously get series of xruns. Most of them are 10-15 usecs,
> sometimes 100 usecs or worse. I'm using realtime priority, prio 0, 128
> frames, 2 periods. The latency is 5.8 msec and the CPU load (according
> to qjackctl) is well below 1%. JACK tempdir is /dev/shm, mounted as
> tmpfs. I also get messages like: delay of 5805.000 usecs exceeds
> estimated spare time of 2874.000; restart ...

Your kernel has to be RT enabled. This is why I suggested the 64studio.
To get everything optimized from scratch is a bit of a pain.  I tried it
about 1.5 year ago and I only managed to get a decent setup when
64studio arrived on the scene.
> Third (though this may be related to the xruns): The sound produced is
> heavily distorted, like an old fashioned radio receiver standing next
> to a fluorescent tube. When I play sound with Audacity via ALSA it
> sounds okay. Via Jack, it is distorted.

Yip.

Good luck in setting up

Cheers
Quentin

Re: Documentation

Johan Vromans
[Quoting Johan Vromans, on July 11 2007, 14:49, in "Re: Documentation"]
> Basically, I currently experience the following problems with Jack on
> Fedora Core 6.

I installed 64studio on a spare partition of my wife's computer (much
less powerful than mine) and everything seems to run fine.

Nevertheless, I'd like to run the Jack programs on my workstation...

-- Johan

Re: Documentation

Paul Davis
On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 15:56 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
> [Quoting Johan Vromans, on July 11 2007, 14:49, in "Re: Documentation"]
> > Basically, I currently experience the following problems with Jack on
> > Fedora Core 6.
>
> I installed 64studio on a spare partition of my wife's computer (much
> less powerful than mine) and everything seems to run fine.
>
> Nevertheless, I'd like to run the Jack programs on my workstation...

nothing is stopping you from doing that, the limitations are connected
with the actual parameters JACK will need to run successfully. if you do
not use an RT-enabled kernel, you will not be able to get latency as low
- you will have to use longer period sizes, at minimum. the speed of
your processor(s) are basically irrelevant to RT performance. you should
NEVER specify RT priority to JACK unless you really fully understand
what you are doing. further, if you are using a builtin soundcard, you
will likely never get down to 128 frames per period.

i just build a high end machine with the same processor(s) as you (plus
an Asus P5W DH motherboard). with an RME multiface II, it runs perfectly
at 64 frames per period with 2 periods. the same machine using its own
internal soundcard can't get to 256 frames/period without problems, and
even 1024 is not totally stable. this is likely to be a combination of a
soundcard driver design issue and hardware issues with the HDA soundcard
implementation on the motherboard.

as for your channel issue (only channels 3 & 4 provide sound), you will
need to either fix that at the ALSA level by defining a pseudo device in
your ~/.asoundrc file that has just two channels that are mapped to 3&4
of the real device, OR manually connect clients.

please note that JACK doesn't do any connecting of clients by default.
clients either make their own connections, or none at all, or the user
is using a patching client like qjackctl or patchage that *can* (but
does not always) make connections automatically.

Re: Documentation

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 14:49 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:

> [Quoting Quentin Harley, on July 11 2007, 12:03, in "Re: Documentation"]
> > We have a jack guide on the 64studio website,
> > http://www.64studio.com/quickstart_jack
>
> Thanks.
>
> > If you have many issues using jack in fedora 6, why not try 64studio
> > on for size,
>
> I downloaded it, to find out that it is a clean system install (which
> is not quite what I currently wish to do).
>
> Basically, I currently experience the following problems with Jack on
> Fedora Core 6.
>
> First, in the Connections Window, I see an alsa_pcm writable client
> with 6 playback ports. By default Jack connects clients to the first
> ports (ports 1 and 2). On my system, only ports 3 and 4 give sound, so
> I only want to use these. How can I configure that?
>
> Second: Xruns, xruns, xruns. I have a very fast system (Intel Core2
> Duo E6300) with 2Gig memory. But even when the system is doing nothing
> I continuously get series of xruns. Most of them are 10-15 usecs,
> sometimes 100 usecs or worse. I'm using realtime priority, prio 0, 128
> frames, 2 periods. The latency is 5.8 msec and the CPU load (according
> to qjackctl) is well below 1%. JACK tempdir is /dev/shm, mounted as
> tmpfs. I also get messages like: delay of 5805.000 usecs exceeds
> estimated spare time of 2874.000; restart ...

Are you using Planet CCRMA on top of Fedora Core 6?
(http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/)

It provides low latency kernels, tuned irq's, realtime access, a
properly tuned jack and more.

Unless you already have it installed and you still have problems...

-- Fernando

Re: Documentation

Quentin Harley
Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Are you using Planet CCRMA on top of Fedora Core 6?
> (http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/)
>
> It provides low latency kernels, tuned irq's, realtime access, a
> properly tuned jack and more.

 Hey Fernando,

I'm so involved with the "Studio" nowadays that I forgot completely
about the "Planet".
Thanks!

Cheers
Quentin

Re: Documentation

Johan Vromans
[Quoting Fernando Lopez-Lezcano, on July 11 2007, 17:45, in "Re: Documentation"]
> Are you using Planet CCRMA on top of Fedora Core 6?

I tried to, but it does not provide a kernel module for my nVidia card
so I can't use it :-(.

-- Johan

Re: Documentation

rj (Bugzilla)

> Second: Xruns, xruns, xruns. I have a very fast system (Intel Core2
> Duo E6300) with 2Gig memory. But even when the system is doing nothing
> I continuously get series of xruns. Most of them are 10-15 usecs,
> sometimes 100 usecs or worse. I'm using realtime priority, prio 0, 128
> frames, 2 periods. The latency is 5.8 msec and the CPU load (according
> to qjackctl) is well below 1%. JACK tempdir is /dev/shm, mounted as
> tmpfs. I also get messages like: delay of 5805.000 usecs exceeds
> estimated spare time of 2874.000; restart ...

Ok.
Since no one has suggested it I might be wrong, but I was under the
impression that most internal soundboards on a system with a core2 duo
work poorly with 2 periods best use 3 periods.. someone can verify this?
Still 128 frames is probably quite taxing for the system without a
realtime kernel.

Personally I seldom use RT kernels, the tuning black magic drives me
insane. Most of the time I can get quite reliable performance at 2x256
on my system using a stock ubuntu kernel, which gives a latency I can
live with.

Regards,
Robert

Re: Documentation

Johan Vromans
[Quoting Paul Davis, on July 11 2007, 11:16, in "Re: Documentation"]
> if you do not use an RT-enabled kernel, you will not be able to get
> latency as low - you will have to use longer period sizes, at
> minimum.

I'm now using 8 periods of 64, and at least that seems to get rid of
the distortion. I still get xruns, but it is workable.

> .... you should NEVER specify RT priority to JACK unless you really
> fully understand what you are doing.

Fedora QJackCTL comes with RT prio hard-wired (you cannot switch it
off...).

> as for your channel issue (only channels 3 & 4 provide sound), you
> will need to either fix that at the ALSA level by defining a pseudo
> device in your ~/.asoundrc file that has just two channels that are
> mapped to 3&4 of the real device, OR manually connect clients.

>From studying the asoundrc specifications it is not clear to me how to
do this. Can you give me some hints?

Thanks,
        Johan

Re: Documentation

Steven Chamberlain
Johan Vromans wrote:
> it does not provide a kernel module for my nVidia card
> so I can't use it :-(.

I just download the Linux driver package from nVidia and I compile my
own 'nvidia' kernel module.  By passing certain flags to the installer,
it will extract two lots of source code which you can compile and
install manually.  This should work on any Linux distro I guess.

I'm sure you can get an existing system to work suitably for JACK.  On
Debian, I compile my own kernel with the RT patch applied.  I enable the
necessary 'rlimits' to allow JACK to run in realtime, and set the
priority in qjackctl.  I also use the 'rtirq' script at boot to set IRQ
priorities.

The whole process can be tedious, because there are many, small tasks
and hardware-specific problems.  It is sometimes not easy to tell
straight away if your system is running properly and will be free of
xruns.  After trying a variety of configurations and hardware I can now
reliably run at 128 frames/period, 2 periods/buffer, for about 3ms
latency and no xruns with the machine under any amount of load.  I doubt
many other OSes or bundled audio hardware+software systems could compete
with that!

I agree that the whole process isn't really documented in any one place,
so this mailing list might be the best resource for you right now.  In
time, I hope someone manages to write more a comprehensive guide to
this, or perhaps a diagnostic/benchmarking tool which can tell you "yes,
your system should reliably run JACK at X ms latency" or "no, you need
to change your limits.conf" (or better still -- do it all for you!).

Steven Chamberlain

Re: Documentation

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 15:08 +0100, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> Johan Vromans wrote:
> > it does not provide a kernel module for my nVidia card
> > so I can't use it :-(.
>
> I just download the Linux driver package from nVidia and I compile my
> own 'nvidia' kernel module.  By passing certain flags to the installer,
> it will extract two lots of source code which you can compile and
> install manually.  This should work on any Linux distro I guess.

Or you can download the source rpm package from, say, livna, and rebuild
it with the rt kernel.

I'm not providing kernel modules for binary drivers, I suspect it would
quickly turn into a support problem.

-- Fernando

Re: Documentation

Chuckk Hubbard
On 7/11/07, Quentin Harley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Johan Vromans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Before I start annoying you with stupid questions, please point me to
> the documentation.
>
> "An introduction to using JACK" -- does not exist
> "Jack FAQ" -- some unseful info, but very limited
> "Using JACK from the command line" -- page not found
> "System configuration for success, joy and eternal happiness" -- does
> not exist.
>
> I'm trying to use Jack 0.103.0 on Fedora Core 6.

We have a jack guide on the 64studio website,

http://www.64studio.com/quickstart_jack

If you have many issues using jack in fedora 6, why not try 64studio on
for size, It has 64 and 32bit builds available, and using your sound
apps will be a breeze from the very start.

I don't want to be rude, but why do people always say this?  In my case it was simply not true.  I had the EXACT same problems I've had with every Debian install I've tried.  Realtime never worked, jackd always died, neither Csound5 nor Pd were available as binaries, no one could think of anything for me to try to fix it.  Can you say *exactly* what is different about 64studio from Debian that makes it so much easier to use sound apps?  Is the kernel patched, or is everything just set up a certain way by default?

-Chuckk

Re: Documentation

Chuckk Hubbard
On 7/11/07, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 15:56 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
> [Quoting Johan Vromans, on July 11 2007, 14:49, in "Re: Documentation"]
> > Basically, I currently experience the following problems with Jack on
> > Fedora Core 6.
>
> I installed 64studio on a spare partition of my wife's computer (much
> less powerful than mine) and everything seems to run fine.
>
> Nevertheless, I'd like to run the Jack programs on my workstation...

nothing is stopping you from doing that, the limitations are connected
with the actual parameters JACK will need to run successfully. if you do
not use an RT-enabled kernel, you will not be able to get latency as low

This is so confusing.  The ##linuxaudio IRC on freenode.net has a link to a howto that suggests using Ingo Molnar's patch.  Everyone says that's no longer necessary, including the people on that IRC channel.  The other howtos I've seen have suggested rtlimits-enabled pam, realtime-lsm, I don't remember what else; but in each case I am told again and again that none of that is necessary anymore, that a vanilla 2.6 kernel is capable of realtime if configured properly.  I removed all ACPI except thermal, I set preemptible kernel, preempt the big kernel lock, I enable my own hardware, and at various times I've tried all the solutions they say are no longer necessary.  No difference at all.  Google is useless: there are dozens of guides to realtime kernels online, and apparently every single one is obsolete.
My point - what exactly is an RT-enabled kernel as of today, July 15, 2007?  AFAIK that information does not exist online, most definitely not on any website associated with Jack.

- you will have to use longer period sizes, at minimum. the speed of
your processor(s) are basically irrelevant to RT performance. you should
NEVER specify RT priority to JACK unless you really fully understand
what you are doing. further, if you are using a builtin soundcard, you
will likely never get down to 128 frames per period.

i just build a high end machine with the same processor(s) as you (plus
an Asus P5W DH motherboard). with an RME multiface II, it runs perfectly
at 64 frames per period with 2 periods. the same machine using its own
internal soundcard can't get to 256 frames/period without problems, and
even 1024 is not totally stable. this is likely to be a combination of a
soundcard driver design issue and hardware issues with the HDA soundcard
implementation on the motherboard.

The fact that my soundcard works better under Windows - is that simply because the Linux drivers were reverse-engineered by devs without access to the specs?  I have hda-intel, which I know is the worst possible, and from what I've read there are no PCMCIA alternatives under $1000 for Linux.  Seems like my choices are give up music or give up Linux.

-Chuckk

Re: Documentation

Chuckk Hubbard
On 7/11/07, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you using Planet CCRMA on top of Fedora Core 6?
(http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/)

It provides low latency kernels, tuned irq's, realtime access, a
properly tuned jack and more.

Unless you already have it installed and you still have problems...

lol, I got lots of these suggestions too, as to changing installations to fix an audio configuration question.  This suggestion translates as "I don't know the answer to your question."
My experience is that, no matter how tailored the distro claims to be to my needs, I might as well learn all the configuration stuff anyway, because I'm still going to need to do it.  Not that I've ever figured it out...

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com

Re: Documentation

Quentin Harley
Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> On 7/11/07, *Quentin Harley* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     We have a jack guide on the 64studio website,
>
>     http://www.64studio.com/quickstart_jack
>     <http://www.64studio.com/quickstart_jack>
>
>     If you have many issues using jack in fedora 6, why not try
>     64studio on
>     for size, It has 64 and 32bit builds available, and using your sound
>     apps will be a breeze from the very start.
>

> I don't want to be rude, but why do people always say this?

People, like me, says this about distro's, like 64studio, because we, -
like you -, had the same problems setting up distro's, like debian, to
do exactly what 64studio, or planet CCRMA, was built to do.

The only difference between 64studio and many many of the rest, in my
eyes, is that it was the first to give me a truly PAINLESS install
experience where all my hardware worked out of the box fist time without
having to tinker with it until my fingers bled.  Note: The first time I
tried 64studio was the 0.3.0 release that did not even want to install
on my (then brand new) hardware.  Now we are at the verge of 2.0 release!

Although I love tinkering with stuff, more than a week of tinkering to
get jack going without xruns constitutes madness in my case (of which I
recently recovered without any ill effects - because of the guys
building 64studio)

So, you really have nothing to lose... download 64studio and try it.
It's free.  If it doesn't work for you try something else.  I just think
you'll be surprised by this one

> In my case it was simply not true.  I had the EXACT same problems I've
> had with every Debian install I've tried.  Realtime never worked,
> jackd always died, neither Csound5 nor Pd were available as binaries,
> no one could think of anything for me to try to fix it.

Which release did you try if you did?

> Can you say *exactly* what is different about 64studio from Debian
> that makes it so much easier to use sound apps?  Is the kernel
> patched, or is everything just set up a certain way by default?

Both actually.  The 64studio kernel is now running so well that is was
borrowed by many of it's close (debian based) relatives.
But as you know, choosing a distribution is much like choosing a
religion for many linux propheads.  I simply don't think of it that
way.  Debian burnt the hell out of me at first, and I used SuSE to get
things done.  Now Debian treats me better.  Much better.

So, Chuckk, I feel your pain.  Just don't make me out to be some media
spin-guy that says things on lists like this one to get some kind of
commission somewhere.  I just want to spread the love...

Cheers
Quentin

Re: Documentation

Frank Barknecht
Hallo,
Chuckk Hubbard hat gesagt: // Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> This is so confusing.

So it seems.

> The ##linuxaudio IRC on freenode.net has a link to a
> howto that suggests using Ingo Molnar's patch.  Everyone says that's no
> longer necessary, including the people on that IRC channel.  The other
> howtos I've seen have suggested rtlimits-enabled pam, realtime-lsm, I don't
> remember what else; but in each case I am told again and again that none of
> that is necessary anymore, that a vanilla 2.6 kernel is capable of realtime
> if configured properly.

You definitely *do* need a rtlimits-enabled pam and set up
/etc/security/limits.conf accordingly by adding something like this:

@audio         -       nice            -10
@audio         -       rtprio          99
@audio         -       memlock         unlimited

and put yourself in group audio. This doesn't have anything to do with
the kernel version you run, you need to do this for any (newer)
kernel.

It doesn't make your kernel run any better, but it allows you to
elevate the priority of applications as a non-root user. Without this,
even a highly tuned kernel will be of no use to non-root users.

One thing people often get confused about when hearing the term
"realtime" is that tuning and optimizing realtime operation on one
hand and managing access to what realtime features available on the
other hand are different issues.

You can tune your realtime kernel with various kernel options,
interrupt tuning etc. And you manage access to realtime features with
libpam/limits.conf. However without allowing access to the realtime
features with libpam, all your tuning effort would be in vain.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht                 _ ______footils.org_ __goto10.org__

Re: Documentation

Frank Barknecht
Hallo,
Johan Vromans hat gesagt: // Johan Vromans wrote:

> [Quoting Paul Davis, on July 11 2007, 11:16, in "Re: Documentation"]
> > if you do not use an RT-enabled kernel, you will not be able to get
> > latency as low - you will have to use longer period sizes, at
> > minimum.
>
> I'm now using 8 periods of 64, and at least that seems to get rid of
> the distortion. I still get xruns, but it is workable.

Did you try to raise the period *size* instead of the number of
periods? I think it's unusual to see someone use anything else but 2
or 3 for the number of periods. I'd recommend to start with a number
of 3 and a size of 1024 or 2048, then reduce the size as long as it's
xrun-free. I'd say, if you get xruns even at 2048 samples, something
deep is wrong with your system.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht                 _ ______footils.org_ __goto10.org__

Re: Documentation

lars.luthman (Bugzilla)
On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 18:24 -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> On 7/11/07, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 15:56 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
>         > [Quoting Johan Vromans, on July 11 2007, 14:49, in "Re:
>         Documentation"]
>         > > Basically, I currently experience the following problems
>         with Jack on
>         > > Fedora Core 6.
>         >
>         > I installed 64studio on a spare partition of my wife's
>         computer (much
>         > less powerful than mine) and everything seems to run fine.
>         >
>         > Nevertheless, I'd like to run the Jack programs on my
>         workstation...
>
>         nothing is stopping you from doing that, the limitations are
>         connected
>         with the actual parameters JACK will need to run successfully.
>         if you do
>         not use an RT-enabled kernel, you will not be able to get
>         latency as low
>
> This is so confusing.  The ##linuxaudio IRC on freenode.net has a link
> to a howto that suggests using Ingo Molnar's patch.  Everyone says
> that's no longer necessary, including the people on that IRC channel.
That depends on their definition of "necessary". You don't need any
kernel patches to be able to run JACK as a normal user with realtime
scheduling, but that is usually not enough. You also need to have
preemption turned on (to shorten the code paths in the kernel, to reduce
latency spikes, to prevent xruns), and for that you do need Molnar's RT
patch.

>  The other howtos I've seen have suggested rtlimits-enabled pam,

Recent versions of PAM have this by default. It is needed, but you
shouldn't need to do anything special to get it.

>  realtime-lsm

Deprecated by the RT-patch.

> I don't remember what else; but in each case I am told again and again
> that none of that is necessary anymore, that a vanilla 2.6 kernel is
> capable of realtime if configured properly.

Capable of giving jackd and friends realtime scheduling, yes. Capable of
reasonably low latency without xruns, no.

> My point - what exactly is an RT-enabled kernel as of today, July 15,
> 2007?  AFAIK that information does not exist online, most definitely
> not on any website associated with Jack.

Vanilla kernel (or whatever your base is, I use source from kernel.org
with the .config from Debian's kernel packages) + Molnar's RT patch
with preemption turned on. Then you also need to configure PAM to let
your user get realtime scheduling and lock lots of memory, with these
lines in /etc/security/limits.conf:

@audio           -       memlock         4000000
@audio           -       rtprio          99

(assuming that your JACK users are in the audio group).

--ll