Fwd: Re: (no subject)

Boss-4

----- Forwarded message from [hidden email] -----
    Date: Mon,  7 Nov 2005 15:34:47 +0200
    From: [hidden email]
 Subject: Re: [Jackit-devel] (no subject)
      To: Sampo Savolainen <[hidden email]>

Quoting Sampo Savolainen <[hidden email]>:

> Quoting [hidden email]:
>
>> hi,
>> I don't know if this is the right forum to ask, if not my apologies.
>> I have an old linux box which I have installed rosegarden on. And I have
>> crappy soundcard which is obviously not supported by jack. So...no
>> sound.
>> The question is :what sound card should I buy ( cheap as possible
>> naturally) so
>> that it is supported by jack?
>> Thank you
terve sampo,
I get sound using aRts, and from other applications (KDE) with this
sound card,
however it fails to operate with jack, jack starts okey ( doing that with
qjackctl) , but I get error messages saying that it fails to
"playback"therefore I suspect it could be a jack problem, or the sound
card not
supported by jack...

The exact error message from jack is this:( they are repeated...)

"could not complete playback of 1024 frames: error = -32"

jack is started with -=>
jackd -P 10 -t 500 -d alsa -d default -r 48000 -p 1024 -n 2

jackd version is 0.80.0
qjackctl version is 0.0.4
suse 9.0
ALSA version 0.9.6

if I turn up -p 1024 to -p 4096 I get no error message in qjackctl, but
still no
sound, and rosegarden informs that jack-system "looses frames".

The sound card is a cheapo 15 euro card, which has 4 channels, and one
midi/game(?) connector. It just says "Sound card" on the box, the chipset on
the card is CMI8738, whatever that is....

if anyone has any ideas what I could try to tweak I'd be very grateful.
thank you.

Greger

> If your soundcard works with ALSA (i.e. you get sound from other
> applications), it will work with jackd. How well it works with jackd and
> realtime operations is another matter, but it will probably work well.
>
> If you have problems getting jackd running you should provide more
> information on your specific problem (error messages, which soundcard, the
> contents of /proc/asound/cards, etc..), but jackit-devel is not the
> appropriate mailing list to discuss these matters. This mailing list is for
> people _developing_ jack itself and software using jack. A more appropriate
> mailing list would be linux-audio-users.
>
> http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/subscribelau.php
> http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/archive.php (search archives)
> http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/ (browse archives)
>
> You can also try to search the archives for a solution to your problem. The
> list has covered most of the issues surrounding getting jackd working, but
> of course, finding the correct search query is difficult.
>
> Good luck,
> Sampo

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: Fwd: Re: (no subject)

Lee Revell
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 19:01 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> jackd version is 0.80.0
> qjackctl version is 0.0.4
> suse 9.0
> ALSA version 0.9.6

These are really, really old.  ALSA is at version 1.0.10 now and JACK is
at 0.100.  Can't you upgrade to a recent distro?

Lee