Get Jack to release /dev/dsp or hw:0

Michael-37
Is there a way to make jackd release the dsp while still keeping the
clients connected. I am using the on board sound on an intel 865
chipset board and I have tried using dmix with ALSA but jack does not
like that device for some reason. Is it possible for jack to change its
output driver on the fly, or will the client connections have to be
dropped first. I know I should just get a better sound card, but I
can't do that for the moment, so I am just looking for a temporary
software workaround for the time being.

Michael.

Re: Get Jack to release /dev/dsp or hw:0

Sean Meiners
In the list archives you should find a patch I sent for 0.99.0 in October '04
that adds this ability (but only for the alsa driver).  If you can't find it
I'd be happy to send it to you.

PS: I also have a version updated for 0.100.0.

On Monday 15 August 2005 02:07 pm, Michael wrote:

> Is there a way to make jackd release the dsp while still keeping the
> clients connected. I am using the on board sound on an intel 865
> chipset board and I have tried using dmix with ALSA but jack does not
> like that device for some reason. Is it possible for jack to change its
> output driver on the fly, or will the client connections have to be
> dropped first. I know I should just get a better sound card, but I
> can't do that for the moment, so I am just looking for a temporary
> software workaround for the time being.
>
> Michael.

Sean Meiners
[hidden email]

Perl - $Just @when->$you ${thought} s/yn/tax/ &couldn\'t %get $worse;

Re: Get Jack to release /dev/dsp or hw:0

Lee Revell
On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 21:07 +0000, Michael wrote:
> Is there a way to make jackd release the dsp while still keeping the
> clients connected. I am using the on board sound on an intel 865
> chipset board and I have tried using dmix with ALSA but jack does not
> like that device for some reason.

It would be better to fix JACK to make it play nice with dmix.  This is
especially important now that ALSA uses dmix by default.

Lee

Re: Get Jack to release /dev/dsp or hw:0

LGTrader
On 8/15/05, Lee Revell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 21:07 +0000, Michael wrote:
> > Is there a way to make jackd release the dsp while still keeping the
> > clients connected. I am using the on board sound on an intel 865
> > chipset board and I have tried using dmix with ALSA but jack does not
> > like that device for some reason.
>
> It would be better to fix JACK to make it play nice with dmix.  This is
> especially important now that ALSA uses dmix by default.
>
> Lee

I don't know if this is in the same space but it would also be nice
for Jack to shut down cleanly when a machine is being shutdown or
rebooted. What I see (if I forget to shut off QJC when doing a
shutdown) is pretty much a complete hang. sometimes I have to shell in
and sometimes it's a power switch event. Would be nice if Jack could
obey whatever sort of shutdown messages are sent out.

Cheers,
Mark

On 15/08/05 23:04:24, Sean Meiners wrote:
> In the list archives you should find a patch I sent for 0.99.0 in
> October '04
> that adds this ability (but only for the alsa driver).  If you can't
> find it
> I'd be happy to send it to you.
>
> PS: I also have a version updated for 0.100.0.

I have found your email in the archives and will try out the patch
tonight. Could you send me the patch for 0.100.0 as well and I will
test it out with my audio apps. Thanks for the patch and hopefully it
will bring to an end my weeks of searching for a solution.

Michael.

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 17:38 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I don't know if this is in the same space but it would also be nice
> for Jack to shut down cleanly when a machine is being shutdown or
> rebooted. What I see (if I forget to shut off QJC when doing a
> shutdown) is pretty much a complete hang. sometimes I have to shell in
> and sometimes it's a power switch event. Would be nice if Jack could
> obey whatever sort of shutdown messages are sent out.

This is the first I have heard of this one.  I suspect the problem is at
the ALSA driver level as this works for me, and besides no regular
userspace app should be able to prevent the machine from shutting down.
You should file an ALSA bug report (with more info if you can get it,
like an strace of the hung jackd process).

Lee

On 16/08/05 16:29:52, Sean Meiners wrote:
> Here's the patch against 0.100.0, have fun.

I have tried the patch against 0.100.0 and when I do
"jack_device_connect n" jack releases the device ok, but the
applications that are connected to jack can not send any audio data. If
I then do "jack_device_connect y" the applications connected to jack
all crash and give the error "Cannot open shm segment /jack_1 (No such
file or directory). Cannot attach port segment shared memory (No such
file or directory)".
When I look in /tmp/jack0/default I see a socket file called jack_0 so
for some reason jack is now trying to connect to jack_1 which does not
exist.
I've noticed that jack 0.99.0 handles the socket files differently so I
will give the older patch a try and I'll give jack_freewheel a try with
oss as well.

Michael.

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 09:45 am, Michael wrote:
> On 16/08/05 16:29:52, Sean Meiners wrote:
> > Here's the patch against 0.100.0, have fun.
>
> I have tried the patch against 0.100.0 and when I do
> "jack_device_connect n" jack releases the device ok, but the
> applications that are connected to jack can not send any audio data. If

Right, since jack's callback is tied to the sound device, disconnecting it
effectively stops jack from doing anything.  In the apps we've tested this
with (more heavily with 0.99 than 0.100) this results in the desired behavoir
where most apps (like xmms simply) appear to pause until jack is reconnected.

> I then do "jack_device_connect y" the applications connected to jack
> all crash and give the error "Cannot open shm segment /jack_1 (No such
> file or directory). Cannot attach port segment shared memory (No such
> file or directory)".

Sorry, the patch for 0.100 has only had the most basic of testing thus far (it
compiled).