Install jackd-0.100.0-2

Crypto
Hi,

I wanted to install jackd-0.100.0-2 on my debian-like Kanotix-Linux.

Unfortunately, Synaptic tells me I have to deinstall virtually half of my
applications, so updating it that way would not work.

I suspect if I force apt-get to install it anyway it will break the package
management system and leave many packets corrupted or damaged.

What can I do to install latest jackd without having to delete half of my
system's applications?

Dave.

Re: Install jackd-0.100.0-2

chrhenz (Bugzilla)
On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 11:54:08AM +0200, Dave Glenn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to install jackd-0.100.0-2 on my debian-like Kanotix-Linux.
>
> Unfortunately, Synaptic tells me I have to deinstall virtually half of my
> applications, so updating it that way would not work.
>
> I suspect if I force apt-get to install it anyway it will break the package
> management system and leave many packets corrupted or damaged.
>
> What can I do to install latest jackd without having to delete half of my
> system's applications?

Wait until those applications have been rebuilt using the new jack version...

cheers,
Christian

Re: Install jackd-0.100.0-2

Jeremy Hall

Shouldn't there be a way to leave the old libraries around? At least then apps that were
linked against them could still function and start jack as jack_client_new()

_J

In the new year, Dave Glenn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to install jackd-0.100.0-2 on my debian-like Kanotix-Linux.
>
> Unfortunately, Synaptic tells me I have to deinstall virtually half of my
> applications, so updating it that way would not work.
>
> I suspect if I force apt-get to install it anyway it will break the package
> management system and leave many packets corrupted or damaged.
>
> What can I do to install latest jackd without having to delete half of my
> system's applications?
>
> Dave.

Re: Install jackd-0.100.0-2

Jack O'Quin-2
Jeremy Hall <[hidden email]> writes:

> Shouldn't there be a way to leave the old libraries around? At least
> then apps that were linked against them could still function and start
> jack as jack_client_new()

The old libraries don't work with the new server, there are protocol
differences.  That's why we try hard to avoid incompatible changes to
the API.  This time we were unable to avoid them.

Sorry for the inconvenience...
--
  joq

Re: Install jackd-0.100.0-2

chrhenz (Bugzilla)
On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 06:03:04PM -0400, Jeremy Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Shouldn't there be a way to leave the old libraries around? At least then apps that were
> linked against them could still function and start jack as jack_client_new()

Unfortunately the linker isn't that smart. Thats the whole reason why there are new libjack packages anyway.

You can install both versions of libjack, but the application packages also depend on jackd, of which only one can be installed (libjack v0.99 and libjack v0.100 are two different packages, while jackd v0.99 and jackd v0.100 are just different versions of the same package).

Of course you can setup seperate jack enviroments somewhere on your disk and build applications against them, but thats a whole different issue ;)

cheers,
Christian