Interface port names

Dave Robillard
Hi all,

Working on LASH I've noticed a (IMO) problem with Jack's naming of
interface ports.  Namely that they're driver specific, and change if you
launch Jack with a different driver.

This means restoring a session will fail if the user is running a
different driver than the one running when the session was saved.
Obviously this is bad for distributing sessions, but it's bit me on the
ass personally just using one machine as well (in the case of restoring
a session with the dummy driver for debugging).

This problem affects Ardour too, open an Ardour session saved with Alsa
on a jackd running with OSS and everything dies horribly.

I remember some discussion about this earlier but can't seem to find it.
To my eyes, there's no downsides to having generic names for the edges
of the Jack system ("input" and "output"), but there's definitely
problems with the current scheme.

This is something to be fixed pre 1.0, since it would break any clients
that are connecting to the system [in|out]puts based on port name.

Thoughts?

Re: Interface port names

Simon Jenkins
On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 15:15 +1000, Dave Robillard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Working on LASH I've noticed a (IMO) problem with Jack's naming of
> interface ports.  Namely that they're driver specific, and change if you
> launch Jack with a different driver.

> [...]

> I remember some discussion about this earlier but can't seem to find it.

There's a thread about it starting here:

http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/jackit-devel/2005-Feb/0002.html

~ Simon

Re: Interface port names

Jack O'Quin-2
Dave Robillard <[hidden email]> writes:

> I remember some discussion about this earlier but can't seem to find it.
> To my eyes, there's no downsides to having generic names for the edges
> of the Jack system ("input" and "output"), but there's definitely
> problems with the current scheme.

As you can see from the lengthy thread Simon posted, this is a complex
issue.  Most of us seem to agree that a backend-neutral name would be
preferable.  But, there are significant compatibility issues.

I think LASH should just consider the backend name part of the session
state.  Opening a session recorded with one backend while using
another will require user guidance of some sort.  One would generally
need a similar dialogue or conversion utility when moving a session to
a different machine.
--
  joq

Re: Interface port names

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 9/11/05, Jack O'Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think LASH should just consider the backend name part of the session
> state.  Opening a session recorded with one backend while using
> another will require user guidance of some sort.  One would generally
> need a similar dialogue or conversion utility when moving a session to
> a different machine.

Can't a port just have an ID that would be independent from any driver?
Connections would be restored by these IDs.

Alexandre

Re: Interface port names

Dave Robillard
On Sun, 2005-11-09 at 13:22 -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:

> Dave Robillard <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I remember some discussion about this earlier but can't seem to find it.
> > To my eyes, there's no downsides to having generic names for the edges
> > of the Jack system ("input" and "output"), but there's definitely
> > problems with the current scheme.
>
> As you can see from the lengthy thread Simon posted, this is a complex
> issue.  Most of us seem to agree that a backend-neutral name would be
> preferable.  But, there are significant compatibility issues.

If this is really a big enough issue to hold back the change, how about
making the interface port names a command line parameter?  That way
people can have their alsa_pcm if they really want it, but everyone can
start moving over to sane names without forcibly breaking anything.

I would prefer to make "jack" (or something) the default, but the
current scheme can remain the default if
pre-1.0-compatibility-that-only-affects-Ardour is really that big an
issue.

Would this solution please everyone?  I really think /something/ needs
to be done about this problem, or it will be regretted later..

-DR-