Is jack running in real time?

jjgnu
When I start jackd with one of my Delta 1010 cards using the -R option
I get the following message:

registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
required capabilities not available
capabilities: = cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource+e

I'm assuming it's looking for the capabilities module, but I'm
running realtime-lsm instead. My kernel is 2.6.13-rc6-rt14 with
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y on Debian Sarge amd64 (jack 0.99). I started
realtime-lsm with  gid=29 and I'm running jackd as a member of group
audio.

Can anyone tell me if jackd is actually running in realtime mode, or does
the lack of a running capabilities module cause it to default to normal
scheduling?

John

Re: Is jack running in real time?

Jack O'Quin-2
John <[hidden email]> writes:

> When I start jackd with one of my Delta 1010 cards using the -R option
> I get the following message:
>
> registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
> required capabilities not available
> capabilities: = cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource+e

Those messages are bogus in your case.  JACK will attempt to run
realtime, anyway.

> I'm assuming it's looking for the capabilities module, but I'm
> running realtime-lsm instead. My kernel is 2.6.13-rc6-rt14 with
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y on Debian Sarge amd64 (jack 0.99). I started
> realtime-lsm with  gid=29 and I'm running jackd as a member of group
> audio.
>
> Can anyone tell me if jackd is actually running in realtime mode, or does
> the lack of a running capabilities module cause it to default to normal
> scheduling?

You don't need jackstart, but to be certain, we'd need to see the rest
of the jackd -Rv messages.

Or, you could use the `chrt' command from the schedutils package to
print thread priorities directly.
--
  joq