JACK's Illegal instruction

muadib
Greetings,

I just finished upgrading on Debian/unstable and upon finishing JACK compiling(I like building JACK and parent programs from source, it has proven very powerful many times), I tried to run using
the following command as root: jackd -R -dalsa -p512 -sblive -r44100 -zs
and it returns :

jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... sblive|sblive|512|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open sblive for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open sblive for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Couldn't open sblive for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open sblive for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Noise-shaped dithering at 16 bits
Illegal instruction
Elfandor:/home/nang/

Any clue?

AMDDuron700MHz, 576MB RAM, SBLive!, Debian testing/unstable, gcc3.3

Thanks in advance, K

Re: JACK's Illegal instruction

Paul Davis
On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 21:41 +0300, [hidden email] wrote:
> Couldn't open sblive for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open sblive for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> Noise-shaped dithering at 16 bits
> Illegal instruction
> Elfandor:/home/nang/
>
> Any clue?

gdb?

Re: JACK's Illegal Instruction

muadib
GDB's output:

GNU gdb 6.3-debian
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-linux"...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run "-R -dalsa -p512 -dsblive -r44100"
Starting program: /usr/bin/jackd "-R -dalsa -p512 -dsblive -r44100"
[New Thread 16384 (LWP 28897)]
unknown option character
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

usage: jackd [ --realtime OR -R [ --realtime-priority OR -P priority ] ]
             [ --no-mlock OR -m ]
             [ --unlock OR -u ]
             [ --timeout OR -t client-timeout-in-msecs ]
             [ --port-max OR -p maximum-number-of-ports]
             [ --verbose OR -v ]
             [ --silent OR -s ]
             [ --version OR -V ]
         -d driver [ ... driver args ... ]
             where driver can be `alsa', `coreaudio', `dummy',
                                 `oss' or `portaudio'

       jackd -d driver --help
             to display options for each driver

Program exited with code 0377.
(gdb)

Re: JACK's Illegal instruction

Alexandre Prokoudine

> jackd 0.99.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... sblive|sblive|512|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Couldn't open sblive for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open sblive for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> Couldn't open sblive for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open sblive for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> Noise-shaped dithering at 16 bits
> Illegal instruction
> Elfandor:/home/nang/

Sounds familiar. One of my friends had experience of jackd's "illegal
instructions" on an old 333 or something MHz AMD K6 with some onboard
sound chip. He has never made his way to bugtracker, though, IIRC.

Alexandre

Re: JACK's Illegal instruction

David-24

On  0, Alexandre Prokoudine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Illegal instruction
> > Elfandor:/home/nang/
>
> Sounds familiar. One of my friends had experience of jackd's "illegal
> instructions" on an old 333 or something MHz AMD K6 with some onboard
> sound chip. He has never made his way to bugtracker, though, IIRC.
>
> Alexandre

You have an AMD. Your compiler is capable of compiling code that
won't run on your chip. The configure process detects that you can
compile sse float instructions (tho your chip can't run them) and
hence your self-compiled jackd won't run. Try running configure with
one of those flags that disables sse or if you don't necessarily need
to compile it yourself just use the default apt-get jackd from sarge.

--

          David