JACK segfaults mysteriously with 2.6.12

dmmcintyr (Bugzilla)
I decided to play with a 2.6 kernel, and I grabbed 2.6.12-2-multimedia-386
from AGNULA.  JACK has refused to run ever since.

I get a mysterious segfault and that's all she wrote.  This run is from the
stock Debian Sid (or possibly AGNULA) package:

$/usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -S
jackd 0.99.54
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|16bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
nperiods = 2 for capture
nperiods = 2 for playback
jack_create_thread: error -1 switching current thread to rt for inheritance:
Unknown error 4294967295
cannot start watchdog thread
cannot load driver module alsa
Segmentation fault

This one is from CVS from a few minutes ago.  No more segfault, but it flat
doesn't work at all.  There's only one jack process instead of the usual
several, and no JACK apps can connect to it even though it appears to be
running.  I'm not sure what's up with the real-time scheduling either.  I do
have:

realtime                5512  0
commoncap               6912  1 realtime

Running the thing with and without -R makes no difference.  Running as user
vs. root makes no difference either.  I've not managed to get a single JACK
app to connect to this ever, and the flood of xruns is stupendous too.  I've
never seen anything that bad; not even running on a stock 2.4 kernel with no
audio hacker nonsense enabled.

$/usr/local/bin/jackd -R -d alsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -S
jackd 0.99.73
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|16bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
nperiods = 2 for capture
nperiods = 2 for playback
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 20) [for thread -1228305488,
from thread -1228305488] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread -1236694096,
from thread -1236694096] (1: Operation not permitted)

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 12.501 msecs
(500 billion xruns follow)

So anyway, I could sure use some insight here.  I'd like to get this new
kernel to fly because it does a tidy job of taking care of some irritating
video issues that have plagued me for ages, but I'm presently stuck with
2.4.25.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <[hidden email]>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek;  registered Linux user #243621

Re: JACK segfaults mysteriously with 2.6.12

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki
Could this be the nptl issue? Try stating jack with:

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 jackd <options>

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia

Re: JACK segfaults mysteriously with 2.6.12

Jack O'Quin-2
Silvan <[hidden email]> writes:

> $/usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -S
> jackd 0.99.54

> $/usr/local/bin/jackd -R -d alsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -S
> jackd 0.99.73

Looks like you have two different versions of JACK installed on your
system, one in /usr/bin and the other in /usr/local/bin.  That does
not work.  The client libraries get badly mixed up.  Remove one of the
copies.

People who mix self-compiled versions with binary packages usually end
up having to configure with --prefix=/usr to avoid this deadly situation.
--
  joq

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 12:18 pm, Jack O'Quin wrote:

> Looks like you have two different versions of JACK installed on your
> system, one in /usr/bin and the other in /usr/local/bin.  That does
> not work.  The client libraries get badly mixed up.  Remove one of the
> copies.

OK, that might well explain why the CVS copy in /usr/local wasn't letting
anything connect to it, mightn't it?  Good point.  I guess the next time I
take a notion to boot 2.6.12 I should uninstall all the packaged stuff and
give CVS another go.

In the meantime, I'm back on the packaged stuff, and back on kernel 2.4.25,
and everything is fine.  One thing I can establish with certainty is that
jackd 0.99.54 does not work with kernel 2.6.12 for me at all.  I haven't
really created a suitable environment to prove anything more than that.

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 11:02 am, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> Could this be the nptl issue? Try stating jack with:
>
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 jackd <options>

OK, indeed, it was.  (Took me awhile to get around to rebooting to try that.)

JACK started fine after that, but it produced a copious stream of xruns the
likes of which I haven't seen since I finally got all the
realtime/capabilities nonsense working under 2.4 (and yeah, I had
realtime-lsm loaded...  I don't know what else to try, really...  I went to
the main JACK site looking for help with this, and found links to documents
that referred to kernel 2.4.0 in the future tense.  Not especially helpful.)
I think I'll just stick with Old Reliable (2.4) awhile longer.  If it ain't
broke....

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <[hidden email]>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek;  registered Linux user #243621
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Re: JACK segfaults mysteriously with 2.6.12

Lee Revell
On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 02:51 -0400, Silvan wrote:
> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 20) [for thread
> -1228305488,
> from thread -1228305488] (1: Operation not permitted)
> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
> -1236694096,
> from thread -1236694096] (1: Operation not permitted)

This means you don't have the realtime LSM loaded properly, or you are
not in the audio group.

You have to load it with "modprobe realtime gid=29", and run is as a
user in the group with that gid.  Typically it's called "audio".

Lee

On Saturday 25 June 2005 11:18 pm, Lee Revell wrote:

> This means you don't have the realtime LSM loaded properly, or you are
> not in the audio group.

Possibility.  Now that you mention it, I'm looking at Debian's (or AGNULA's,
not sure which; probably AGNULA's actually) script for this, and it's got a
modprobe $NAME $PARAMETERS in there, but nothing ever sets $PARAMETERS to
anything.  I am in the audio group though.

I'll investigate this.  Although the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL trick actually got me
over this hump in terms of it falling completely on its face.