JACK won't make any sound!

digitalpioneer (Bugzilla)
Hi. I've been trying to get JACK working over here for a while now, and while the daemon runs OK, I can't hear anything when I run a program that uses JACK.

A little info I hope will be useful:
OS: Arch Linux, Don't Panic
Kernel: 2.6.22.1 (Patched for Arch)
JACK 0.103.0
lspci: 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

I'm running 'jackd -d alsa' to start the daemon. If I run with --realtime, it runs a few seconds before something called watchdog kills it because of a timeout. After running the daemon, I'm testing with 'jack_metro -b 60' and 'jack_connect metro:60_bpm alsa_pcm:playback_1' but hear nothing, even if I crank my speakers all the way up. Please help! :)

The Digital Pioneer

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Christopher Cherrett
Did you unmute your card in alsamixer?

On Wednesday 08 August 2007 1:40 pm, The Digital Pioneer wrote:

> Hi. I've been trying to get JACK working over here for a while now, and
> while the daemon runs OK, I can't hear anything when I run a program that
> uses JACK.
>
> A little info I hope will be useful:
> OS: Arch Linux, Don't Panic
> Kernel: 2.6.22.1 (Patched for Arch)
> JACK 0.103.0
> lspci: 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
> 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
>
> I'm running 'jackd -d alsa' to start the daemon. If I run with --realtime,
> it runs a few seconds before something called watchdog kills it because of
> a timeout. After running the daemon, I'm testing with 'jack_metro -b 60'
> and 'jack_connect metro:60_bpm alsa_pcm:playback_1' but hear nothing, even
> if I crank my speakers all the way up. Please help! :)

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Federico Grau-2
Yes, I worked with him on IRC, and he can get sound via ALSA directly (aplay
foofile).

donfede

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 01:18:59PM -0600, [hidden email] wrote:

> Did you unmute your card in alsamixer?
>
> On Wednesday 08 August 2007 1:40 pm, The Digital Pioneer wrote:
> > Hi. I've been trying to get JACK working over here for a while now, and
> > while the daemon runs OK, I can't hear anything when I run a program that
> > uses JACK.
> >
> > A little info I hope will be useful:
> > OS: Arch Linux, Don't Panic
> > Kernel: 2.6.22.1 (Patched for Arch)
> > JACK 0.103.0
> > lspci: 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
> > 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
> >
> > I'm running 'jackd -d alsa' to start the daemon. If I run with --realtime,
> > it runs a few seconds before something called watchdog kills it because of
> > a timeout. After running the daemon, I'm testing with 'jack_metro -b 60'
> > and 'jack_connect metro:60_bpm alsa_pcm:playback_1' but hear nothing, even
> > if I crank my speakers all the way up. Please help! :)

Federico Grau
Free Software Developer and Sysadmin
Radio Free Asia
2025 M Street, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC  20036
202-587-2046  Telephone
202-721-7468  Facsimile
CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may
contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you
receive this transmission in error, please contact [hidden email].

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Paul Davis
On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 15:59 -0400, Federico Grau wrote:
> Yes, I worked with him on IRC, and he can get sound via ALSA directly (aplay
> foofile).

try using -P ... this intel crap often can't do duplex.

> donfede
>
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 01:18:59PM -0600, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Did you unmute your card in alsamixer?
> >
> > On Wednesday 08 August 2007 1:40 pm, The Digital Pioneer wrote:
> > > Hi. I've been trying to get JACK working over here for a while now, and
> > > while the daemon runs OK, I can't hear anything when I run a program that
> > > uses JACK.
> > >
> > > A little info I hope will be useful:
> > > OS: Arch Linux, Don't Panic
> > > Kernel: 2.6.22.1 (Patched for Arch)
> > > JACK 0.103.0
> > > lspci: 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
> > > 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
> > >
> > > I'm running 'jackd -d alsa' to start the daemon. If I run with --realtime,
> > > it runs a few seconds before something called watchdog kills it because of
> > > a timeout. After running the daemon, I'm testing with 'jack_metro -b 60'
> > > and 'jack_connect metro:60_bpm alsa_pcm:playback_1' but hear nothing, even
> > > if I crank my speakers all the way up. Please help! :)

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

digitalpioneer (Bugzilla)
Using -P on what? jackd doesn't recognize it, neither does aplay...

The Digital Pioneer

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Paul Davis
On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 14:47 -0700, The Digital Pioneer wrote:
> Using -P on what? jackd doesn't recognize it, neither does aplay...

        jackd -d alsa ...blah blah blah.... -P

see man jackd

i'd also suggest

        jackd -v ....

so that you verify that its actually working. there will be regular
debugging output with -v that shows that the card is running and waking
JACK up at a nice periodic rate.

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

digitalpioneer (Bugzilla)
OK, placing the -P after -d alsa worked, and I now can get sound. Thanks. :)

The Digital Pioneer

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Chris Morgan-2
Paul, I'm surprised that issue hasn't been fixed yet. Is this an alsa
driver issue where alsa advertises duplex but doesn't support it? Jack
adoption is going to be hurt with issues like this popping up for many
users. I this is the same issue I had with alsa that we spoke about in
detail many months ago.

Chris

On 8/8/07, The Digital Pioneer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, placing the -P after -d alsa worked, and I now can get sound. Thanks. :)
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> The Digital Pioneer

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Paul Davis
On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 18:03 -0400, Chris Morgan wrote:
> Paul, I'm surprised that issue hasn't been fixed yet. Is this an alsa
> driver issue where alsa advertises duplex but doesn't support it?

thats my understanding. JACK successfully opens a capture and playback
descriptor, but when it starts the device, it is never woken with the
driver in a state where both capture+playback "devices" are ready.

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Chris Morgan-2
Here is the bug report. How much beer would it take for this issue to
get fixed? ;-)

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2210

Chris

On 8/8/07, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 18:03 -0400, Chris Morgan wrote:
> > Paul, I'm surprised that issue hasn't been fixed yet. Is this an alsa
> > driver issue where alsa advertises duplex but doesn't support it?
>
> thats my understanding. JACK successfully opens a capture and playback
> descriptor, but when it starts the device, it is never woken with the
> driver in a state where both capture+playback "devices" are ready.

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Jussi Laako-2
Chris Morgan wrote:
> Paul, I'm surprised that issue hasn't been fixed yet. Is this an alsa
> driver issue where alsa advertises duplex but doesn't support it? Jack
> adoption is going to be hurt with issues like this popping up for many
> users. I this is the same issue I had with alsa that we spoke about in
> detail many months ago.

You could also try with oss driver (the one from opensound.com) and
jack's oss backend, it might just work... ;D

Well, honestly I think this issue should be fixed, but if it needs more
specific handling on jack's alsa backend side, it would grow the back
end even more complex... I'm slightly worried about amount of complexity
alsa is pushing to the applications.

        - Jussi

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Chris Morgan-2
Someone posted patches to jack to fix this issue.

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2210

Can someone that knows that code take a look to see if they are
correct? It sounds like we might have a solution in sight.

Chris

On 8/9/07, Jussi Laako <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Morgan wrote:
> > Paul, I'm surprised that issue hasn't been fixed yet. Is this an alsa
> > driver issue where alsa advertises duplex but doesn't support it? Jack
> > adoption is going to be hurt with issues like this popping up for many
> > users. I this is the same issue I had with alsa that we spoke about in
> > detail many months ago.
>
> You could also try with oss driver (the one from opensound.com) and
> jack's oss backend, it might just work... ;D
>
> Well, honestly I think this issue should be fixed, but if it needs more
> specific handling on jack's alsa backend side, it would grow the back
> end even more complex... I'm slightly worried about amount of complexity
> alsa is pushing to the applications.
>

>         - Jussi

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Paul Davis
On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 10:59 -0400, Chris Morgan wrote:
> Someone posted patches to jack to fix this issue.
>
> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2210
>
> Can someone that knows that code take a look to see if they are
> correct? It sounds like we might have a solution in sight.

the pcm-link patch is already in my tree; the revents one has just been
applied to my tree. i'll give it a quick test on my two devices (intel
hda and rme hdsp) and then commit. it all looks good.

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Paul Davis
On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 11:08 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 10:59 -0400, Chris Morgan wrote:
> > Someone posted patches to jack to fix this issue.
> >
> > https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2210
> >
> > Can someone that knows that code take a look to see if they are
> > correct? It sounds like we might have a solution in sight.
>
> the pcm-link patch is already in my tree; the revents one has just been
> applied to my tree. i'll give it a quick test on my two devices (intel
> hda and rme hdsp) and then commit. it all looks good.

committed to svn.

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

digitalpioneer (Bugzilla)
So if I downloaded and compiled from SVN, I wouldn't have to use -P?

The Digital Pioneer

Re: JACK won't make any sound!

Chris Morgan-2
Yep.