Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

LGTrader
Hi there,
   Is there any known reason why the CVS version of Jack-0.100.0 (or
higher) shouldn't work as all other version have in the past? Any know
issues?

   Gentoo's version in portage has the ebuild for Jack marked as Power
PC only. Searching around in Gentoo's Bugzilla I ran across some notes
about Jack's API changing and that has apparently proken Jack Rack.

   Is there any simple story for the non-programmer I am? Does
Jack-0.100.0 (or higher) require Jack apps to be rewritten?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Re: Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

Tim Blechmann
>    Is there any known reason why the CVS version of Jack-0.100.0 (or
> higher) shouldn't work as all other version have in the past? Any know
> issues?
well, i unmasked it by accepting keywork -x86, and it's basically
working fine...

>    Gentoo's version in portage has the ebuild for Jack marked as Power
> PC only. Searching around in Gentoo's Bugzilla I ran across some notes
> about Jack's API changing and that has apparently proken Jack Rack.
right ... the latest jack-rack, that's in portage won't compile against
jack-0.100.0 ... on the other hand, i submitted an ebuild for the
latest jack-rack, that works fine with jack-0.100.0 ... hasn't made it
into portage, yet ...
the problem is just, that gentoo's support for audio applications is
not really great ... the latest ardour doesn't even compile :-/

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:[hidden email]    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
                                      William S. Burroughs

Re: Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

Lee Revell
On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 09:55 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi there,
>    Is there any known reason why the CVS version of Jack-0.100.0 (or
> higher) shouldn't work as all other version have in the past? Any know
> issues?
>
>    Gentoo's version in portage has the ebuild for Jack marked as Power
> PC only. Searching around in Gentoo's Bugzilla I ran across some notes
> about Jack's API changing and that has apparently proken Jack Rack.

These questions are meaningless to non-gentoo users.  They really belong
on a gentoo list.

Lee

On 9/9/05, Tim Blechmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >    Is there any known reason why the CVS version of Jack-0.100.0 (or
> > higher) shouldn't work as all other version have in the past? Any know
> > issues?
> well, i unmasked it by accepting keywork -x86, and it's basically
> working fine...

OK, but I'm on the AMD64 kernel and neither ~x86 or ~amd64 allowed me
to build it. I copied to 100.0 ebuild and modified it to allow ~amd64
as a keyword but decided that before I installed it that I should
probably ask to make sure there isn't some known problem.

> >    Gentoo's version in portage has the ebuild for Jack marked as Power
> > PC only. Searching around in Gentoo's Bugzilla I ran across some notes
> > about Jack's API changing and that has apparently proken Jack Rack.

> right ... the latest jack-rack, that's in portage won't compile against
> jack-0.100.0 ... on the other hand, i submitted an ebuild for the
> latest jack-rack, that works fine with jack-0.100.0 ... hasn't made it
> into portage, yet ...
> the problem is just, that gentoo's support for audio applications is
> not really great ... the latest ardour doesn't even compile :-/

Yes, recently it seems that Gentoo's audio suport has suffered a bit.
No developer to manage it I suppose.

You're speaking of Ardour from portage, correct? I got a nightly
tarball a few days ago and it built fine after I recalled a few things
about scons. Anyway, I have a very recent version running here so I'm
pretty happy. I only had one problem with it so far which no one here
seemed to duplicate. Bummer, but not critical.

> cheers ... tim

To you also!

- Mark

Re: Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

Tim Blechmann
> OK, but I'm on the AMD64 kernel and neither ~x86 or ~amd64 allowed me
> to build it. I copied to 100.0 ebuild and modified it to allow ~amd64
> as a keyword but decided that before I installed it that I should
> probably ask to make sure there isn't some known problem.
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="-amd64" emerge jack-audio-connection-kit should do the
job without any needs to modify the ebuild...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:[hidden email]    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
                                      William S. Burroughs

Re: Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

LGTrader
On 9/9/05, Tim Blechmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > OK, but I'm on the AMD64 kernel and neither ~x86 or ~amd64 allowed me
> > to build it. I copied to 100.0 ebuild and modified it to allow ~amd64
> > as a keyword but decided that before I installed it that I should
> > probably ask to make sure there isn't some known problem.
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="-amd64" emerge jack-audio-connection-kit should do the
> job without any needs to modify the ebuild...

How right you are!! Thank you very much.

I have never seen the '-' used in front of aUSE flag before. I
understand the concept of the '~'. What's the '-' supposed to mean?

Off topic for this list but do I need to rebuild Ardour to take
advantage of the recompute latencies feature?

Again, thanks!

Cheers,

On 9/9/05, Mark Knecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/9/05, Tim Blechmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > OK, but I'm on the AMD64 kernel and neither ~x86 or ~amd64 allowed me
> > > to build it. I copied to 100.0 ebuild and modified it to allow ~amd64
> > > as a keyword but decided that before I installed it that I should
> > > probably ask to make sure there isn't some known problem.
> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="-amd64" emerge jack-audio-connection-kit should do the
> > job without any needs to modify the ebuild...
> >

> How right you are!! Thank you very much.
>
> I have never seen the '-' used in front of aUSE flag before. I
> understand the concept of the '~'. What's the '-' supposed to mean?
>
> Off topic for this list but do I need to rebuild Ardour to take
> advantage of the recompute latencies feature?
>
> Again, thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Hit the send button a bit early. Unfortunately it doesn't build so I
guess this is possibly a Jack-Developers issue. What is this error
asking  me to rebuild with the -fPIC flag?

x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -shared  .libs/libjack_la-client.o
.libs/libjack_la-driv er.o .libs/libjack_la-intclient.o
.libs/libjack_la-messagebuffer.o .libs/libjack _la-pool.o
.libs/libjack_la-port.o .libs/libjack_la-ringbuffer.o .libs/libjack_l
a-shm.o .libs/libjack_la-thread.o .libs/libjack_la-timestamps.o
.libs/libjack_la -transclient.o .libs/libjack_la-unlock.o  -lm
-lpthread -ldl  -march=k8 -march=k 8 -march=k8 -Wl,-soname
-Wl,libjack.so.0 -o .libs/libjack.so.0.0.23
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
. libs/libjack_la-client.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local
symbol' can no t be used when making a shared object; recompile with
-fPIC
.libs/libjack_la-client.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [libjack.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/var/tmp/portage/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.100.0/w
ork/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.100.0/libjack'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/var/tmp/portage/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.100.0/w
ork/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.100.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.100.0 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 89, Exitcode 2
!!! compilation failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

lightning ~ #

Note that while I do have some 32-bit emulation libraries pulled in
through emerging other apps I have not specifically tried to make
anything be 32-bit or 64-bit as per some of the Gentoo docs.

lightning ~ # emerge -pv jack-audio-connection-kit

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.100.0
[0.99.0-r3] +alsa (-altivec) -caps -coreaudio -debug -doc +jack-tmpfs
(-mmx) -oss -pic -portaudio +sndfile (-sse) 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
lightning ~ #

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

David Mulcahy
On Friday 09 September 2005 17:55, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi there,
>    Is there any known reason why the CVS version of Jack-0.100.0 (or
> higher) shouldn't work as all other version have in the past? Any know
> issues?
>
>    Gentoo's version in portage has the ebuild for Jack marked as Power
> PC only. Searching around in Gentoo's Bugzilla I ran across some notes
> about Jack's API changing and that has apparently proken Jack Rack.

There has been an API change jack_create_thread() was altered in april this
year i think.  You might want to chect the archive.  If I remember correctly
only new jamin would work correctly.

I may well be corrected though.

Dave

>    Is there any simple story for the non-programmer I am? Does
> Jack-0.100.0 (or higher) require Jack apps to be rewritten?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

Re: Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

> Off topic for this list but do I need to rebuild Ardour to take
> advantage of the recompute latencies feature?

yes.

Re: Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

> Hit the send button a bit early. Unfortunately it doesn't build so I
> guess this is possibly a Jack-Developers issue. What is this error
> asking  me to rebuild with the -fPIC flag?

this is a common problem with x86_64 systems and a *lot* of x86
software. the problem is that on the x86, there is no problem linking
non-PIC (Position Independent Code) into a shared library; on x86_64 it
is not possible. i am not sure of the particular problem here, since i
have built JACK myself on x86_64 with only one small change to the
source, subsequently added to CVS (but not in a release yet).

which "package" of JACK is this? CVS? 0.100.0 ?

> Note that while I do have some 32-bit emulation libraries pulled in
> through emerging other apps I have not specifically tried to make
> anything be 32-bit or 64-bit as per some of the Gentoo docs.

that could be a problem. the R_X86_64_32 is the hint, i think. somehow,
you really trying to link a 64 bit library against a 32 bit one.

On 9/9/05, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hit the send button a bit early. Unfortunately it doesn't build so I
> > guess this is possibly a Jack-Developers issue. What is this error
> > asking  me to rebuild with the -fPIC flag?
>
> this is a common problem with x86_64 systems and a *lot* of x86
> software. the problem is that on the x86, there is no problem linking
> non-PIC (Position Independent Code) into a shared library; on x86_64 it
> is not possible. i am not sure of the particular problem here, since i
> have built JACK myself on x86_64 with only one small change to the
> source, subsequently added to CVS (but not in a release yet).
>
> which "package" of JACK is this? CVS? 0.100.0 ?

Hi Paul,
   It's 100.0 from portage and not CVS. I currently don't know how to
write an ebuild for Jack-CVS. It seems there used to be one in portage
but it was removed sometime ago.

   There is a portage trick where you tell portage the you are
handling the dependeny outside of portage and then it will install
Jack apps even if Jack isn't installed. This would allow me to build
CVS and still use portage for the apps. I think I'll look into doing
it that way just to see what happens. Thing is on this AMD64 machine I
really only need 3-4 apps Jack apps - Qjackctl, Ardour, Aqualung and
Alsaplayer. I already build Aqualung and Aqualung outside of portage
anyway. Maybe I should just do them all and skip this ebuild/portage
issue completely.

   How does the LADSPA stuff play into this? Is that embedded enough
in Ardour that it's not using Jack directly? They build for me but I
haven't played with them yet. Are they working OK on AMD64 without any
SSE stuff?

> > Note that while I do have some 32-bit emulation libraries pulled in
> > through emerging other apps I have not specifically tried to make
> > anything be 32-bit or 64-bit as per some of the Gentoo docs.
>
> that could be a problem. the R_X86_64_32 is the hint, i think. somehow,
> you really trying to link a 64 bit library against a 32 bit one.

Yeah, I expect that's the case and clearly I don't know what I'm doing
since I barely understand what you're talking about! ;-)

Thanks for the insights. I'll keep pushing along.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

LGTrader
On 9/9/05, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hit the send button a bit early. Unfortunately it doesn't build so I
> > guess this is possibly a Jack-Developers issue. What is this error
> > asking  me to rebuild with the -fPIC flag?
>
> this is a common problem with x86_64 systems and a *lot* of x86
> software. the problem is that on the x86, there is no problem linking
> non-PIC (Position Independent Code) into a shared library; on x86_64 it
> is not possible. i am not sure of the particular problem here, since i
> have built JACK myself on x86_64 with only one small change to the
> source, subsequently added to CVS (but not in a release yet).
>
> which "package" of JACK is this? CVS? 0.100.0 ?
>
> > Note that while I do have some 32-bit emulation libraries pulled in
> > through emerging other apps I have not specifically tried to make
> > anything be 32-bit or 64-bit as per some of the Gentoo docs.
>
> that could be a problem. the R_X86_64_32 is the hint, i think. somehow,
> you really trying to link a 64 bit library against a 32 bit one.
>
> --p

Hi Paul,
   How can I tell if I'm getting 64-bit code?

   OK, using a feature Gentoo calls 'package.provided' I've now built
jack-0.100.5 from source. The jack apps I have on this new machine
seem happy. (Ardour, Aqualung, QJC & alsaplayer.)

   I'm rebuilding Ardour now to find out more about the recompute
latencies stuff.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Jack 0.100.0 in portage masked for PPC only?

Paul Davis
>    How can I tell if I'm getting 64-bit code?

on gentoo, i have no idea. my only x86_64 experience is with Fedora.