[Jack-Devel] 64 Channel Madi (hdspe)

godfrey.small
Hi Guys,

I have 2 PCs, both with a 64 channel madi card.  Machine 'A' is runing Win7, and the RME TotalMix is running showing what is on each channel.  I am also running Reaper, which has a plugin generating tone on the 1st 8 channels which is visible on the TotalMix.

Machine 'B' is a dual boot Win7/Ubuntu 16.04, and when booted into Win7, the tone coming in on the madi stream channels 1-8 is clearly present and audable.  When I boot into Ubuntu, I run QjackCtl and start Jack.  I then start a simple program I have written from a tutorial I found that copies from the inputs to the outputs.  Unfortunately, nothing is received on the inputs.  On the outputs however if I fill the output Buffer with random numbers, the resulting noise appears on machine 'A', so not everything is a total disaster.

I have checked alsamixer for muting on the inputs and am now at a loss for possible causes. (I am summing the abs value of each frame in input and periodically printf the total, which is always zero.

Could someone more knowledgeable that myself suggest causes for the lack of input.

Zappa Fan. (mostly to make searching digests easier, but also true).

Re: 64 Channel Madi (hdspe)

Adrian Knoth
On 09/28/16 14:37, [hidden email] wrote:

> and audable.  When I boot into Ubuntu, I run QjackCtl and start Jack.  I
> then start a simple program I have written from a tutorial I found that
> copies from the inputs to the outputs.  Unfortunately, nothing is
> received on the inputs.

Vague guess: you haven't connected the input ports to your program? Or
the program registers the input ports the wrong way?

Random hint: try firing up hdspmixer (there's a Linux version) to
monitor the inputs and/or initialise the mixer.

Also: try one of the existing recording apps, for instance ardour or
jackrec to rule out the possibility that your custom code is wrong.

HTH

Re: 64 Channel Madi (hdspe)

John Emmas
On 28/09/2016 13:57, Adrian Knoth wrote:

> Also: try one of the existing recording apps, for instance ardour or
> jackrec to rule out the possibility that your custom code is wrong.

Hi Godfrey - long time, no see !!!

I'm no expert with Linux but if you're familiar with Reaper I believe
there's a beta version available for Linux.  Or as Adrian mentioned,
Ardour is available for both platforms.  This struck me as slightly odd
though...

On 28/09/2016 13:37, [hidden email] wrote:

> Machine 'A' is runing Win7, and the RME TotalMix is running showing
> what is on each channel.  I am also running Reaper, which has a plugin
> generating tone on the 1st 8 channels which is visible on the TotalMix.
>
> Machine 'B' is a dual boot Win7/Ubuntu 16.04, and when booted into
> Win7, the tone coming in on the madi stream channels 1-8 is clearly
> present and audable.  When I boot into Ubuntu [...] nothing is
> received on the inputs.  On the outputs however if I fill the output
> Buffer with random numbers, the resulting noise appears on machine 'A'

Have you got some kind of weird loop, where Machine 'B' is trying to
sync to machine 'A' - but machine 'A' is also trying to sync to machine 'B'?

John Emmas

Re: 64 Channel Madi (hdspe)

Markus Seeber
On 09/28/2016 02:37 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have 2 PCs, both with a 64 channel madi card.  Machine 'A' is
> runing Win7, and the RME TotalMix is running showing what is on each
> channel.  I am also running Reaper, which has a plugin generating
> tone on the 1st 8 channels which is visible on the TotalMix.
>
> Machine 'B' is a dual boot Win7/Ubuntu 16.04, and when booted into
> Win7, the tone coming in on the madi stream channels 1-8 is clearly
> present and audable.  When I boot into Ubuntu, I run QjackCtl and
> start Jack.  I then start a simple program I have written from a
> tutorial I found that copies from the inputs to the outputs.
>  Unfortunately, nothing is received on the inputs.  On the outputs
> however if I fill the output Buffer with random numbers, the resulting
> noise appears on machine 'A', so not everything is a total disaster.
>
> I have checked alsamixer for muting on the inputs and am now at a loss
> for possible causes. (I am summing the abs value of each frame in
> input and periodically printf the total, which is always zero.
I am not completely sure, but kind of remember an option in alsamixer
for switching between MADI optical and BNC/coaxial for the
inputs/outputs, this might also be something you want to check.

Also, please test first with an application known to work, as mentioned
by others, Ardour for example.

Re: 64 Channel Madi (hdspe)

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 05:37:20AM -0700, [hidden email] wrote:

> Could someone more knowledgeable that myself suggest causes for the
> lack of input.

I've used the RME MADI cards on at least ten Linux machines, they
always worked perfectly.

AFAIK there is nothing that could affect the inputs. Even Totalmix
only controls what appears on the outputs.

Try to use another program to monitor the inputs. Any metering
app will do.

Ciao,