[Jack-Devel] AVB Backend

Christoph Kuhr
Hi *,

I wanted to start a discussion of what kind of AVB connectivity makes the most sense for jack.
But please keep in mind what AVB is and isn't.

a) Fully functional Backend
b) Media Clock Backend with AVB jack clients

pro a)
- the AVDECC connection management could be done seamlessly in a jack way
- out of the box avb functionality

con a)
- only one talker/listener, single audio interface
- huge programming effort
- no dynamic audio mapping

pro b)
- multiple talkers/listeners with multiple audio interface using alsa api
- avoiding huge code addition to the backend, thus much easier to maintain
- AVDECC handling per client for dynamic audio mapping

con b)
- cpu load... price for multiple talkers/listeners

I'm excited to hear your opinions!

Best,
Ck

Re: AVB Backend

Christoph Kuhr
pro b)
- A discovery factory can spawn avb listener jack clients for each talker on the network

Am 11. April 2019 22:44:06 MESZ schrieb Christoph Kuhr <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Thomas Brand
On 2019-04-11 22:44, Christoph Kuhr wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I wanted to start a discussion of what kind of AVB connectivity makes
> the most sense for jack.
> But please keep in mind what AVB is and isn't.
>
> a) Fully functional Backend
> b) Media Clock Backend with AVB jack clients

> I'm excited to hear your opinions!

Hi Chris,

first of all thanks for starting an AVB backend for jack!

My experience with AVB is unfortunately zero.

I understand how both a) and b) can be useful. Thinking in building
blocks, variant c) could be added to make jack the media clock talker (~
clock master on the network). IIUC b) and c) would cooperate nicely,
without the need for much "fatter" full avb stack a). C would clock Bs
or similar, in an AVB compliant way. The b) variant seems already useful
however I've no way to verify this.

Let's wait for others to join the discussion but keep in mind that not
everybody has the same level of insights which you gained by the work
done in the field. AVB was a topic in the past so chances are good there
are opinions :)

Greetings
Thomas