[Jack-Devel] Does Jack Server work in win8.1 x64?

[Jack-Devel] Does Jack Server work in win8.1 x64?

Matthew Logan

I have a windows x64 console application that uses libjack64.lib and libjackserver64.lib in the linker input ( from Jack 1.9.9 x64 setup).  The application runs fine in Win 7.  Under Windows 8.1 the application triggers an exception in libjack64.dll  that occurs >>> BEFORE <<< any code in main() is run.  This suggests some kind of bug that is sensitive to the environment on Win 8.1

What are the proper library includes and settings to ensure jack 1.9.9 runs on Windows 8.1?

Re: Does Jack Server work in win8.1 x64?

Matthew Logan

Tried it with 1.9.10 – same issue.  I am preparing to build jack myself to resolve the issue since I don’t see any help coming.  Where is the best guide for building JACK?

I have a windows x64 console application that uses libjack64.lib and libjackserver64.lib in the linker input ( from Jack 1.9.9 x64 setup).  The application runs fine in Win 7.  Under Windows 8.1 the application triggers an exception in libjack64.dll  that occurs >>> BEFORE <<< any code in main() is run.  This suggests some kind of bug that is sensitive to the environment on Win 8.1

What are the proper library includes and settings to ensure jack 1.9.9 runs on Windows 8.1?

Re: Does Jack Server work in win8.1 x64?

Stéphane Letz
They are CodeBlock projects in the "windows" folder to build JACK. Still a bit complex probably, you are on your own here...

Stéphane

Le 19 sept. 2014 à 06:52, Matthew Logan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Tried it with 1.9.10 – same issue.  I am preparing to build jack myself to resolve the issue since I don’t see any help coming.  Where is the best guide for building JACK?

John Emmas
On 18/09/2014 17:23, Matthew Logan wrote:

I have a windows x64 console application that uses libjack64.lib and libjackserver64.lib in the linker input ( from Jack 1.9.9 x64 setup).  The application runs fine in Win 7.  Under Windows 8.1 the application triggers an exception in libjack64.dll  that occurs >>> BEFORE <<< any code in main() is run.  This suggests some kind of bug that is sensitive to the environment on Win 8.1

Our application (Mixbus) makes extensive use of Jack on Windows.  From memory I think Jack's at about ver 1.9.9.8.  Without digging deeper I can't be absolutely certain because Jack doesn't display its version number in Control Panel.

Mixbus works fine for me in Windows 8.1 - albeit that I only have Win32 available for testing.  However, we literally have thousands of Mixbus users on Windows so there's a pretty good chance that some of them must be running Win8.1 / 64-bit.  We haven't had any specific complaints about Jack AFAICR.

One issue we did have (in the early days of Win8.1) was a problem understanding folder permissions.  e.g. a folder would look like a particular user had (say) 'read' and 'execute' permission - but this was getting over-ridden because some higher level folder only had 'read' permission.  In other words, the folder permissions in Win8.1 seem to be cumulative (which doesn't happen in previous versions of Windows AFAIK).

Matthew - is there a way you can run your application as an Administrator?  That might help you figure out if there's a permissions issue.

John

On 19/09/2014 09:54, John Emmas wrote:

Matthew - is there a way you can run your application as an Administrator?  That might help you figure out if there's a permissions issue.

Oops - one other thing....

When the crash happens for you, does it make any difference which audio I/O Jack is trying to use?  For example, does it only happen with a specific driver (e.g. the sound driver for some particular card)?

Here's the reason I'm asking...  one VERY common problem we've had on Windows is where a customer upgrades their PC (e.g. they buy a 64-bit machine when they'd previously been using a 32-bit machine).  Then they take the audio card out of their old machine and swap it into their new machine - installing their old sound card driver (without realising that it's 32-bit!!)  This has been the cause of many spurious crashes!!

Just a thought...

John

Re: Does Jack Server work in win8.1 x64?

Matthew Logan
So I have Code::Blocks 10.05 installed, and I installed the SJLJ version of
i686-w64-mingw32, tre is installed and copied into the windows folder.

I open up the libjack.cbp file and try to build and I get:

        libjack - Win32 Debug 64bits" uses an invalid compiler. Probably the
toolchain path within the compiler options is not setup correctly?!
Skipping...

So where am I going wrong?

They are CodeBlock projects in the "windows" folder to build JACK. Still a
bit complex probably, you are on your own here...

Stéphane

Le 19 sept. 2014 à 06:52, Matthew Logan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Tried it with 1.9.10 – same issue.  I am preparing to build jack myself to
resolve the issue since I don’t see any help coming.  Where is the best
guide for building JACK?

Re: [Jack-Devel] Does Jack Server work in win8.1 x64?

richtea
Matthew Logan wrote
I have a windows x64 console application that uses libjack64.lib and libjackserver64.lib in the linker input ( from Jack 1.9.9 x64 setup).  The application runs fine in Win 7.  Under Windows 8.1 the application triggers an exception in libjack64.dll  that occurs >>> BEFORE <<< any code in main() is run.
I have the exact same issue, expect I'm only linking to libjack64.lib (not
the server) and am using 1.9.10.

I get a read access violation from something to do with
jack_ringbuffer_get_write_vector. Given it's before anything is called I'm
guessing it's during the dll load / symbol resolution?

Sorry I'm not being more helpful - I'm using the libraries from the
installer package so don't have debug symbols & my understanding of the
disassembler output is fairly non-existent.

This is an x64 project compiled with the VS 2013 compiler.
If I compile as 32 bit everything works, it's also fine in 64 bit on Windows 7.