[Jack-Devel] Does the Callback Thread ID change ?

[Jack-Devel] Does the Callback Thread ID change ?

Sieck Mario

Hello everyone,

the subject is almost the complete question.

In detail:

Supposing the server is properly started and all clients are connected – can one be sure the thread on the server side which calls the process function registered by jack_set_process_callback() is always the same ?

and just in case it is not, for what reason would it be stopped and restarted unless there is no configuration change on the server side – which isn’t possible in running state anyway, right ?

Best Regards,

Mario Sieck

Re: Does the Callback Thread ID change ?

Stéphane Letz

Le 27 sept. 2013 à 14:51, Sieck Mario <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello everyone,
>
> the subject is almost the complete question.
>
> In detail:
>
> Supposing the server is properly started and all clients are connected – can one be sure the thread on the server side which calls the process function registered by jack_set_process_callback() is always the same ?

There is no "thread on the server side"…. :  the thread that calls the process function is created on client side, more specifically in libjack.

> and just in case it is not, for what reason would it be stopped and restarted unless there is no configuration change on the server side – which isn’t possible in running state anyway, right ?

The thread is started by jack_activate and stopped by jack_deactivate.

Stéphane

Re: Does the Callback Thread ID change ?

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On 27.09.2013 15:07, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> Le 27 sept. 2013 à 14:51, Sieck Mario <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> the subject is almost the complete question.
>>
>> In detail:
>>
>> Supposing the server is properly started and all clients are connected – can one be sure the thread on the server side which calls the process function registered by jack_set_process_callback() is always the same ?
> There is no "thread on the server side"…. :  the thread that calls the process function is created on client side, more specifically in libjack.
>

>> and just in case it is not, for what reason would it be stopped and restarted unless there is no configuration change on the server side – which isn’t possible in running state anyway, right ?
> The thread is started by jack_activate and stopped by jack_deactivate.

It seems though that this is an implementation detail. I didn't find any
info about these guarantees in the API docs after a quick glance. So I
guess another implementation of the jack API might use (for whatever
reasons) different threads on different process callbacks.

http://jackaudio.org/files/docs/html/group__ClientCallbacks.html#gafb5ec9fb4b736606d676c135fb97888b
http://jackaudio.org/files/docs/html/types_8h.html#a4923142208a8e7dacf00ca7a10681d2b

Flo