[Jack-Devel] Hello, total Jackaudio Newbie

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Jack-Devel] Hello, total Jackaudio Newbie

Nathan Reddancer
Hello,
 I do not know if this is the correct and appropriate location to post this question, I was looking for a  Jackaudio forum and this is the first page that came up. SOooo, here's my delimmna, as a musician and part time geek:
  If I buy an 8 Channel USB Audio interface, will Jackaudio controll/ bypass Alsa, and then allow 8 channel inputs record directly to 8 SIMULTANEOUS tracks of a live band into Traction Waveform or Ardour? Or does Jackaudio just work as a plugin with extra functions to the Alsa drivers, and merely allow the DAW software and hardware interface work together at the same time? I am NOT gonna be programming a midi drumset, but I am gonna  be recording an actual real live drumset, with bass guitar, lead  guitar, and a temporary vocal track to record the foundation of each song for an upcoming album project. THEN my musicians will go back and punch in any mistakes and dub over them. So, IS Jackaudio capable of SIMULTANEOUS Channel to Track recording of more than two channel/ tracks? That is all I need to know before I make my hardware and software purchases over the next couple of weeks. Thank you for the answers to my questions.
And if this ISN"T the correct forum, please send me a link to the correct one so I don't trouble the wrong teams that are busy working on pure code work. Thank you again for your patience. OH and for the record, If/ when Jackaudio can do this task for us, I'll be bragging on everybody involved for the rest of my career. thanks again, and have a wonderful week.
Fraternally,
Nathan.


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hello, total Jackaudio Newbie

Joshua Sterner
Yeah, JACK can handle that. You will probably need to tell it how many input and output channels your audio interface has though.  Basically the signal flow when your using JACK is this: Audio Interface -> ALSA -> JACK -> DAW/whatever else -> JACK -> ALSA -> Audio Interface.

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hello, total Jackaudio Newbie

Chris Caudle
In reply to this post by Nathan Reddancer
On Tue, August 6, 2019 3:42 pm, Nathan Reddancer wrote:
>   If I buy an 8 Channel USB Audio interface, will Jackaudio controll/
> bypass Alsa, and then allow 8 channel inputs record directly to 8
> SIMULTANEOUS tracks of a live band into Traction Waveform or Ardour?

The jack server uses the ALSA driver for your audio interface, and routes
audio between applications and the driver.

If you do not need to route audio between different applications then you
do not really need jack, you can just let your application connect
directly to the ALSA driver.  That is the current recommendation for
Ardour.

> And if this ISN"T the correct forum, please send me a link to the correct
> one so I don't trouble the wrong teams

Users of jackd use this mailing list, not just the developers, but for
general linux recording questions probably the linux-audio-users list is
the best place.
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user

--
Chris Caudle


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hello, total Jackaudio Newbie

Holger Marzen
In reply to this post by Nathan Reddancer
JACK uses the lower ALSA functions, you might name them device drivers.

After starting jackd it presents as many system:capture inputs
(system:capture_1, system:capture_2 and so on) as the device offers.
You can record them all at the same time, e.g. with Audacity or a DAW.
You have to make the connections from the system:capture inputs to the
DAW's buses/tracks, that can be done within the DAW in most cases. Else
use Qjackctl.

Best Regards
Holger


On Tue, 6 Aug 2019, Nathan Reddancer wrote:

> Hello,
>  I do not know if this is the correct and appropriate location to post this
> question, I was looking for a  Jackaudio forum and this is the first page
> that came up. SOooo, here's my delimmna, as a musician and part time geek:
>   If I buy an 8 Channel USB Audio interface, will Jackaudio controll/
> bypass Alsa, and then allow 8 channel inputs record directly to 8
> SIMULTANEOUS tracks of a live band into Traction Waveform or Ardour? Or
> does Jackaudio just work as a plugin with extra functions to the Alsa
> drivers, and merely allow the DAW software and hardware interface work
> together at the same time? I am NOT gonna be programming a midi drumset,
> but I am gonna  be recording an actual real live drumset, with bass guitar,
> lead  guitar, and a temporary vocal track to record the foundation of each
> song for an upcoming album project. THEN my musicians will go back and
> punch in any mistakes and dub over them. So, IS Jackaudio capable of
> SIMULTANEOUS Channel to Track recording of more than two channel/ tracks?
> That is all I need to know before I make my hardware and software purchases
> over the next couple of weeks. Thank you for the answers to my questions.
> And if this ISN"T the correct forum, please send me a link to the correct
> one so I don't trouble the wrong teams that are busy working on pure code
> work. Thank you again for your patience. OH and for the record, If/ when
> Jackaudio can do this task for us, I'll be bragging on everybody involved
> for the rest of my career. thanks again, and have a wonderful week.
> Fraternally,
> Nathan.
>
_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org