[Jack-Devel] How to capture audio from speaker?

[Jack-Devel] How to capture audio from speaker?

garden_9652

Hi,

I'm writing an MacOSX app that is able to capture audio from speaker and save the audio file to disk in wav or whatever format for further replay.

I googled a lot and found out that Jack might help me to do this kind of thing.

Is there any tutorials for this? Should I download JackOSX? I have cloned jack2 source code and successfully build example-clients/capture_client.c .

Could you give me some guide?

Thank you very much

Re: How to capture audio from speaker?

Kjetil Matheussen-2
On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 10:33 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm writing an MacOSX app that is able to capture audio from speaker and save the audio file to disk in wav or whatever format for further replay.
>
> I googled a lot and found out that Jack might help me to do this kind of thing.
>
> Is there any tutorials for this? Should I download JackOSX? I have cloned jack2 source code and successfully build example-clients/capture_client.c .
>
> Could you give me some guide?

Hi,
I don't know whether you are doing this for fun/learning experience,
or you are looking for a program that does this.
But if the latter is true, this is the main purpose of the program
jack_capture: http://archive.notam02.no/arkiv/src/jack_capture-0.9.73.tar.gz

Re: How to capture audio from speaker?

garden_9652
Hi

Thank you so much for your quick response.
I'm doing this for a side project, I need to capture the audio from speak and do some other tasks on the audio file once it's saved on disk.

I'll look into jack_capture

Thank you

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 10:49 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thank you so much for your quick response.
> I'm doing this for a side project, I need to capture the audio from speak and do some other tasks on the audio file once it's saved on disk.
>
> I'll look into jack_capture

Yes, that's what jack_capture was made for. Just run it without any
arguments, and it will record a stereo file, floating point wav, to
disk.
github page: https://github.com/kmatheussen/jack_capture

Re: How to capture audio from speaker?

garden_9652
Hi

I have install jack_capture and how can I run it?

$ jack_capture
./jack_capture
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
>>> jack_client_open() failed, status = 0x11

So I start jackd :

$ jackd -d coreaudio

then start jack_capture

$ jack_capture

then it starts to record, but the audio file I got jack_capture_01.wav is just blank

Anything wrong?

Thanks

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 11:01 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have install jack_capture and how can I run it?
>
> $ jack_capture
> ./jack_capture
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server request channel
> jack server is not running or cannot be started
> JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
> JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
>

> So I start jackd :
>
> $ jackd -d coreaudio
>
> then start jack_capture
>
> $ jack_capture
>
> then it starts to record, but the audio file I got jack_capture_01.wav is just blank
>
> Anything wrong?

Is jack playing anything? (jack_capture only records audio played by jack)

Re: How to capture audio from speaker?

garden_9652
Hi

What do you mean `jack playing something?`

I just played some youtube video on Chrome.

What else should I do?

Thanks

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 11:08 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What do you mean `jack playing something?`
>
> I just played some youtube video on Chrome.
>
> What else should I do?

You need to hook up Chrome to play audio through jack. I don't know if
you can do that anymore though. Maybe with the help of Soundflower,
it's possible.

Re: How to capture audio from speaker?

garden_9652
Hi

It does not have to be Chrome, in order to use jack_capture

How can play something use jack?

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 11:16 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> It does not have to be Chrome, in order to use jack_capture
>
> How can play something use jack?

The best way is if the program has been written to output it's audio
to jack, using the libjack api.

Another way is to make an audio pipe, where you have a program/system
that creates two virtual audio devices, where the output device sends
the audio to the input device. If you have something like that, you
can make the output driver the default audio output device (all
programs sends to this device), and let jackd connect to the input
device. Maybe soundflower can do that, or maybe some other software.
You'll have to look around.

Re: How to capture audio from speaker?

garden_9652
Hi

What I want is something like jack_capture, capture audio from system speaker and save it to disk, but without modify/setup any other thing like hook chrome to jack to play something.

I can simply use this app to capture the audio originated from chrome,  itunes or skype. anything.

Is jack capable to do this kind of thing?

Or do you know other ways to do this kind of thing?

Thank you

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 12:56 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What I want is something like jack_capture, capture audio from system speaker and save it to disk, but without modify/setup any other thing like hook chrome to jack to play something.
>
> I can simply use this app to capture the audio originated from chrome,  itunes or skype. anything.
>
> Is jack capable to do this kind of thing?
>
> Or do you know other ways to do this kind of thing?

Don't think it's possible to run a program that does this for you
installing a virtual driver. But you better ask on a mac forum for
these types of things. This mailing list is about jack.

Re: How to capture audio from speaker?

Kjetil Matheussen-2
On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM Kjetil Matheussen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't think it's possible to run a program that does this for you
> installing a virtual driver.

That sentence should say "that does this for you without installing a
virtual driver". Another solution is to physically cable up output to
input on your soundcard.

Re: How to capture audio from speaker?

garden_9652
Thank you very much.

I googled and someone said that jack might be able to this, so I asked here
Sorry

Thanks