[Jack-Devel] JACK custom-data API

Filipe Coelho
Hi there everyone.

What do you think of the JACK custom-data API:
https://github.com/falkTX/jack2/blob/master/common/jack/custom.h
?

I like the API and have been using it myself for various patchbay client hints.
There are many usecases out there for this, for example: https://github.com/original-male/non/issues/61

I think it would be a nice addition to the official JACK API.
It was originally designed for use in JACK-iOS, but we've tweaked the code so that it builds on all systems.

I have a git repo with this API enabled here: https://github.com/falkTX/jack2
Patch for latest official JACK2 git is here: https://raw.github.com/falkTX/jack2/master/patches/jack2-custom-data.patch

Re: JACK custom-data API

Hermann Meyer
Am 24.09.2013 01:21, schrieb Filipe Coelho:
> Hi there everyone.
>
> What do you think of the JACK custom-data API:
> https://github.com/falkTX/jack2/blob/master/common/jack/custom.h
> ?

Reminds me that there is a issue with JACK_OPTIONAL_WEAK_EXPORT in
jack1, reported in 2011. Didn't know if it is solved already, but I
guess it is a good idea to check this, before adding more weak linkage.

Re: JACK custom-data API

Paul Davis

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM, hermann meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am <a href="tel:24.09.2013%2001" value="+12409201301" target="_blank">24.09.2013 01:21, schrieb Filipe Coelho:

Hi there everyone.

What do you think of the JACK custom-data API:
https://github.com/falkTX/jack2/blob/master/common/jack/custom.h
?

Reminds me that there is a issue with JACK_OPTIONAL_WEAK_EXPORT in jack1, reported in 2011. Didn't know if it is solved already, but I guess it is a good idea to check this, before adding more weak linkage.

Weak linkage will be removed in an upcoming version of the JACK API.

I have also announced on IRC in a discussion wtih Filipe and others that I plan to implement a version of the meta-data API that has been discussed on #jack several times in the last year or two. I plan to do so next week.

If successful, this will provide the functionality of Filipe's proposal and more, including the long sought port meta-data stuff.

Re: JACK custom-data API

Patrick Shirkey

On Tue, September 24, 2013 12:40 pm, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM, hermann meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 24.09.2013 01:21, schrieb Filipe Coelho:
>>
>>  Hi there everyone.
>>>
>>> What do you think of the JACK custom-data API:
>>> https://github.com/falkTX/**jack2/blob/master/common/jack/**custom.h<https://github.com/falkTX/jack2/blob/master/common/jack/custom.h>
>>> ?
>>>

>> Reminds me that there is a issue with JACK_OPTIONAL_WEAK_EXPORT in
>> jack1,
>> reported in 2011. Didn't know if it is solved already, but I guess it is
>> good idea to check this, before adding more weak linkage.
>

> Weak linkage will be removed in an upcoming version of the JACK API.
>
> I have also announced on IRC in a discussion wtih Filipe and others that I
> plan to implement a version of the meta-data API that has been discussed
> on
> #jack several times in the last year or two. I plan to do so next week.
>
> If successful, this will provide the functionality of Filipe's proposal
> and
> more, including the long sought port meta-data stuff.

Sounds good, will these additions be compatible or extendable to support
the iqm format for 3d modelling data?

http://sauerbraten.org/iqm/

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd

Re: JACK custom-data API

Paul Davis

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Patrick Shirkey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sounds good, will these additions be compatible or extendable to support
the iqm format for 3d modelling data?

http://sauerbraten.org/iqm/

what would this have to do with JACK?

Re: JACK custom-data API

Patrick Shirkey

On Tue, September 24, 2013 10:27 pm, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Patrick Shirkey
> <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>

>> Sounds good, will these additions be compatible or extendable to support
>> the iqm format for 3d modelling data?
>>
>> http://sauerbraten.org/iqm/
>>

> what would this have to do with JACK?

There is this rumour of a 3d extension for JACK that would allow 3d
applications such as Blender, Make Human, etc.. to share realtime 3d
modelling data with other 3d engines such as source, tesseract, ogre,
unigine, etc...

IIUC, it is similar to the jack-video extension that salsaman provided but
for 3d modelling data instead.

Given that JACK is the defacto standard for open source multimedia (audio,
midi, session, network), data sharing it makes sense to me that video and
3d data can be part of the API too.

If you are going to go to the effort of adding support for arbitrary data
formats it might be useful to know of this other project too.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd

Re: JACK custom-data API

Paul Davis
Meta-data is not data.

Adding new port types is a totally separate task, and the jack-video stuff was rejected because it didn't add new ports types in the way that we intended when the API was designed.

This is about adding meta-data to existing objects (clients, ports) within JACK, not new types of port-transferrable data.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Patrick Shirkey <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, September 24, 2013 10:27 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Patrick Shirkey
> <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>

>> Sounds good, will these additions be compatible or extendable to support
>> the iqm format for 3d modelling data?
>>
>> http://sauerbraten.org/iqm/
>>

> what would this have to do with JACK?

There is this rumour of a 3d extension for JACK that would allow 3d
applications such as Blender, Make Human, etc.. to share realtime 3d
modelling data with other 3d engines such as source, tesseract, ogre,
unigine, etc...

IIUC, it is similar to the jack-video extension that salsaman provided but
for 3d modelling data instead.

Given that JACK is the defacto standard for open source multimedia (audio,
midi, session, network), data sharing it makes sense to me that video and
3d data can be part of the API too.

If you are going to go to the effort of adding support for arbitrary data
formats it might be useful to know of this other project too.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd

Re: JACK custom-data API

Paul Davis
The "uuid" branch of JACK1 now contains a functioning but not necessarily finished API and implementation for arbitrary meta-data for JACK clients and ports. The implementation uses the Berkeley DB routines to painlessly deal with interprocess issues including data sharing, locking and so forth. It has been designed to be very fast for looking up or deleting specific metadata, less efficient for looking or deleting multiple metadata (e.g. all metadata associated with a given client).

There is a new tool in the (theoretically shared) tools/ folder called jack_property which can be used to set/list/delete metadata. It not finished and there is no man page for it yet.

Work continues. I promised that this would be fully functional by the end of this week.

--p