[Jack-Devel] JACK releases, jackaudio.org download

[Jack-Devel] JACK releases, jackaudio.org download

Thomas Brand

Hi,
there was this mesage on github announcing simplified handling of large
files in repos, "large file supprt". I wondered if this could replace the
dropbox links of the binaries for future releases.
cheers
Thomas

Re: JACK releases, jackaudio.org download

Neil C Smith-2
On 20 March 2016 at 00:54,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> there was this mesage on github announcing simplified handling of large
> files in repos, "large file supprt". I wondered if this could replace the
> dropbox links of the binaries for future releases.

Why choose either over GitHub's support for release binaries?

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Artist : Technologist : Adviser

Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections -
www.digitalprisoners.co.uk

Re: JACK releases, jackaudio.org download

Harry van Haaren
On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Neil C Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 20 March 2016 at 00:54,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > there was this mesage on github announcing simplified handling of large
> > files in repos, "large file supprt". I wondered if this could replace the
> > dropbox links of the binaries for future releases.

-1 from me to "Large files in repo", because it involves downloading
*all* of them on cloning a repo (unless eg --depth=1 is given, which provides no history)

Just source code and essential extras in a repo please :)

> Why choose either over GitHub's support for release binaries?

I never knew GitHub supported this - after a quick google:
https://help.github.com/articles/creating-releases/

Thanks, learn something new every day.

Cheers, -Harry

--

http://www.openavproductions.com

On Sun, March 20, 2016 14:10, Harry van Haaren wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Neil C Smith <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 20 March 2016 at 00:54,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> there was this mesage on github announcing simplified handling of
>>> large files in repos, "large file supprt". I wondered if this could
>>> replace
> the
>>> dropbox links of the binaries for future releases.
>
> -1 from me to "Large files in repo", because it involves downloading
> *all* of them on cloning a repo (unless eg --depth=1 is given, which
> provides no history)
>
> Just source code and essential extras in a repo please :)
>

>> Why choose either over GitHub's support for release binaries?
>>

> I never knew GitHub supported this - after a quick google:
> https://help.github.com/articles/creating-releases/
>

> Thanks, learn something new every day.

Harry, that's not an issue, it could be in a separate repo just for
releases, to not disturb the source repo. downloading binaries from a
dropbox account is somehow less confident. it could disappear anytime
while with github it's possible to clone and have a history etc.

Greetings

On Sun, March 20, 2016 11:17, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On 20 March 2016 at 00:54,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> there was this mesage on github announcing simplified handling of large
>>  files in repos, "large file supprt". I wondered if this could replace
>> the dropbox links of the binaries for future releases.
>
> Why choose either over GitHub's support for release binaries?

or that, a better match