[Jack-Devel] JACK2 1.9.11-RC1 is now tagged

[Jack-Devel] JACK2 1.9.11-RC1 is now tagged

Filipe Coelho
Hello everyone.

Most of you don't know, but after this year LAC Stephane gave me
permission to maintain the JACK2 project.

One thing that was highly requested by users and other developers was to
make a new release.
So I went ahead and made one.

I'm calling this one RC1 because I'm not confident enough to call it a
full new release just yet.
I need to try to get Windows and OSX builds working (hopefully doable
with mingw and osx + waf after the last wscript updates).
If someone wants to volunteer to maintain and take care of those it
would much appreciated.

The website is not updated yet.
Paul Davis will try to get an auto-update hook from github to
jackaudio.org, so we don't have to ask him to update for every little
change...
Hopefully happens this weekend.

Re: JACK2 1.9.11-RC1 is now tagged

Hermann Meyer
I wonder how much work you will put on your shoulders.
Finger tip!

--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit WEB.DE Mail gesendet.

Filipe Coelho <[hidden email]> schrieb:
[...]

Kjetil Matheussen-2
Great news Filipe!

I'm happy that you are the new maintainer.

Regarding the version for the new release, I wonder if it would be better if the next version was 1.9.12, and not 1.9.11? The reason is that we have already had a 1.9.11 release for Windows (when you go to jackaudio.org and download for windows, you find 1.9.11). I've been using 1.9.11, and included it with Radium, since long before it was officially released. And it works fine too as far as I know.

Another thing. Regarding the versioning type on OSX. Maybe it would be a good idea to use the same versioning as for Linux and Windows? I don't know the reason for using 0.9x instead of 1.9.x on OSX though.

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great news Filipe!

I'm happy that you are the new maintainer.

Just to be clear, Stephane did a very good job too of course.

> The reason is that we have already had a 1.9.11 release for Windows (when you go to jackaudio.org and download for windows, you find 1.9.11).

Also, the last OSX release is placed under a "1.9.11" directory, so I guess that one is a 1.9.11 release as well.

Re: JACK2 1.9.11-RC1 is now tagged

Stéphane Letz

> Le 14 juin 2017 à 14:14, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great news Filipe!
>
> I'm happy that you are the new maintainer.
>

> Just to be clear, Stephane did a very good job too of course.
>

> > The reason is that we have already had a 1.9.11 release for Windows (when you go to jackaudio.org and download for windows, you find 1.9.11).
>
> Also, the last OSX release is placed under a "1.9.11" directory, so I guess that one is a 1.9.11 release as well.

The latest JackOSX 0.93 package was indeed based on jackd 1.9.11. Having a same numbering for OS X stuff would certainly help. The hard part is to create this OS X specific package again.

Stéphane

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Filipe Coelho <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to try to get Windows and OSX builds working (hopefully doable
with mingw and osx + waf after the last wscript updates).
If someone wants to volunteer to maintain and take care of those it
would much appreciated.

I'm already maintaining the qjackctl releases for windows, at least it's my build that's included in the latest jack for windows. It might not be so much work to create binary releases for windows, but I don't want to take on too much work. If we are able to cross-compile jack on windows under linux (which shouldn't be a problem), I guess it would be natural for me to make releases, and to a certain degree maintain it (although I don't know so much about the jack codebase), so that both qjackctl and jack are in sync on windows.

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Stéphane Letz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also, the last OSX release is placed under a "1.9.11" directory, so I guess that one is a 1.9.11 release as well.

The latest JackOSX 0.93 package was indeed based on jackd 1.9.11. Having a same numbering for OS X stuff would certainly help. The hard part is to create this OS X specific package again.

Hi, is there a JackOSX 0.93 package, or did you mean 0.92?

Re: JACK2 1.9.11-RC1 is now tagged

Stéphane Letz

> Le 14 juin 2017 à 14:27, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Stéphane Letz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Also, the last OSX release is placed under a "1.9.11" directory, so I guess that one is a 1.9.11 release as well.
>
> The latest JackOSX 0.93 package was indeed based on jackd 1.9.11. Having a same numbering for OS X stuff would certainly help. The hard part is to create this OS X specific package again.
>

> Hi, is there a JackOSX 0.93 package, or did you mean 0.92?

Yes 0.92 b3 sorry.

Re: JACK2 1.9.11-RC1 is now tagged

Thomas Brand
On Wed, June 14, 2017 14:17, Stéphane Letz wrote:

>> Le 14 juin 2017 à 14:14, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]>
>> a écrit :
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Kjetil Matheussen
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Great news Filipe!
>>

>> I'm happy that you are the new maintainer.
>>

>> Just to be clear, Stephane did a very good job too of course.
>>

>>> The reason is that we have already had a 1.9.11 release for Windows
>>> (when you go to jackaudio.org and download for windows, you find
>>> 1.9.11).
>>>

>> Also, the last OSX release is placed under a "1.9.11" directory, so I
>> guess that one is a 1.9.11 release as well.
>
> The latest JackOSX 0.93 package was indeed based on jackd 1.9.11. Having
> a same numbering for OS X stuff would certainly help. The hard part is to
> create this OS X specific package again.
>
> Stéphane

Hi,
i'm just thinking out loud for releases -

Hand-crafting a release for OS X or Windows sounds like serious magic for
most people while for Linux it's relatively straight forward.

If there would be a release process that's doing all the hard work
automatically, a new release wouldn't bind resources that are more
valuable to invest in other aspects. There wouldn't be -RC releases and
found to be good binaries would be just a specific release out of a
(RC-style release) series.

IMO the Ardour project is a good example of how to handle releases. They
manage to automatically create binaries (in several variations) for Linux,
OS X and Windows on a daily basis.
While the JACK codebase won't change on a daily basis, the release process
can be handy nonetheless. I wondered if some of the Ardour build
infrastructure could be re-used for JACK? Like surfing on the same wave.
Robin could do it i'm sure - I'm wondering if this is looked at as a
reasonable proposal. I'm sure we'd find community members to sponsor the
needed initial work in some way to people who can do it.
Any thoughts?

Best regards
Thomas

Re: JACK2 1.9.11-RC1 is now tagged

Robin Gareus
On 06/14/2017 02:14 PM, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[..]

> Just to be clear, Stephane did a very good job too of course.

Indeed.

Thank you very much for jack2 and all the work over the years, Stephane!
As long time jack2/jackdbus user I appreciate it very much.

Cheers!
robin

On 14.06.2017 14:08, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> Regarding the version for the new release, I wonder if it would be
> better if the next version was 1.9.12, and not 1.9.11?

Sounds like a good idea actually.
Let's sort out the Windows and OSX builds and then call it 1.9.12.

For the Windows builds, it should be possible to build the jack2 code
with waf and mingw, other have mentioned it but I never tried it myself.
My mingw build is quite old, I will have to update it first.
If you succeed on this before me, let me know.

OSX builds sound more the tricky one.
I think it's better to get a working Windows build first. Then focus on OSX.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:17 AM, Filipe Coelho <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14.06.2017 14:08, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> Regarding the version for the new release, I wonder if it would be
> better if the next version was 1.9.12, and not 1.9.11?

Sounds like a good idea actually.
Let's sort out the Windows and OSX builds and then call it 1.9.12.

For the Windows builds, it should be possible to build the jack2 code
with waf and mingw, other have mentioned it but I never tried it myself.
My mingw build is quite old, I will have to update it first.
If you succeed on this before me, let me know.

It wasn't much work. A few lines had to be fixed in the source (made a pull request),
and then to compile it:

"
ARCH=x86_64-w64-mingw32.shared # e.g.

PKGCONFIG=$ARCH-pkg-config CC=$ARCH-gcc CXX=$ARCH-g++ ./waf configure --platform=win32

PKGCONFIG=$ARCH-pkg-config CC=$ARCH-gcc CXX=$ARCH-g++ ./waf build -v
"

I'm using a fairly updated mingw from mxe.cc as cross-compiler.

Haven't tried to run it though, but it compiles.