[Jack-Devel] Jack and thunderbolt

1234567 ... 9

Re: Jack Problems

liebrecht
Thank you, this is helpful I will adapt the script to work for me.

> But the other way (using my main PC for audio, too) is possible. I did
> it and after I understood that Pulsaudio can be a problem I configured
> it to
>
> - not autospawn
> - output via jackd
>
> and start a script automaticall when logging in that handles it all for
> me. There are many, many other ways to do it but I am a more technical
> guy and want it simple and reproducable.
>
> -- snip --

Re: Jack Problems

Anders Genell

> 23 mars 2019 kl. 09:45 skrev Holger Marzen <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I havent been on an audio related usergroup where anything positive has been
>> said (except largely what I posted) about jack. By large 95% of users complain
>> about jack.
>
> Many people can't handle if they get too many screws they can turn. They
> see Windows, they can increase the buffer size and not more, they are
> happy.
>
> But that should be no reason to distribute a "simplejackd" that's
> hardcoded to use the ALSA backend, 2 buffers and the same audio adapter
> for in and out.

Sorry to barge in - I don’t really have anything to add as such but I wanted to say that on the one hand I can understand the frustration about pulse, alsa and jack - it took me a very long time to get to grips with Linux audio. On the other hand now that I have waded through an expansive marsh of online documentation, mail list and forum posts and done a lot of trial and error, I very much prefer the vastly superior configurability of linux audio to the mysteries within Windows. Windows works fine for web browsing, Skype calls etc, but is horrible for any advanced audio routing unless it is directly hardware supported (RME has their nice mixer/router system eg). I suppose it’s all down to a combination of learning curve and personal taste...

>> If I cannot make sense of it and become an "expert" who will unless they have
>> special information. Do the expert study the coded, basically become a
>> developer. ?
>>
>> With software, a lack of proper specification and scriptable advice, leads to
>> no one being able to come to grips unless they go study the code - even if the
>> application is dead simple. I dont want to do that and shouldnt need to as
>> just need to be a user in this case that wants to become an expert if
>> possible.
>
> As I wrote before: Most of the confusion results in the many audio
> architectures available for Linux. That's one of the reasons for audio
> oriented Linux distributions.
>
> But the other way (using my main PC for audio, too) is possible. I did
> it and after I understood that Pulsaudio can be a problem I configured
> it to
>
> - not autospawn
> - output via jackd
>
> and start a script automaticall when logging in that handles it all for
> me. There are many, many other ways to do it but I am a more technical
> guy and want it simple and reproducable.
>
> -- snip --
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> FREQ=48000
> BUFFERS=2
> PERIODS=128
> PRIO=90
>
> killall -9 pulseaudio
> killall -9 jackd
> killall -9 alsa_out
> killall -9 jack_mixer
> killall -9 jack_thru
> killall -9 jack-plumbing
>
> sleep 1
>
> aplay -l | grep CODEC 2>&1 >/dev/null
> RC=$?
>
> if [ $RC = 0 ]
> then
>  HW=CODEC
> else
>  aplay -l | grep USB 2>&1 >/dev/null
>  RC=$?
>
>  if [ $RC = 0 ]
>  then
>    HW=USB
>  else
>    HW=PCH
>  fi
> fi
>
> /usr/bin/jackd -P$PRIO -p512 -t2000 -dalsa \
>  -r$FREQ -p$PERIODS -n$BUFFERS -Xseq -dhw:$HW \
>> /tmp/jackd-hm.log 2>&1 &
> JACKPID=$!
>
> jack_wait -w
>
> pulseaudio --exit-idle-time=-1 -D
> PULSEPID=$!
>
> sleep 1
>
> jack_thru main &
> JACKTHRUPID=$!
>
> xfce4-terminal -T jack-plumbing -e ~/scripts/jack-plumbing.sh &
> JACKPLUMBINGPID=$!
>
> wait
> -- snap --

That is a brilliant script that I may just implement straight off the shelf!! Thanks!!

Regards,
Anders

Re: Jack Problems

Thomas Brand
On Sat, March 23, 2019 09:59, [hidden email] wrote:
> Thank you, this is helpful I will adapt the script to work for me.

I want to add this: The first thing to do on an arbitrary system is to
start jack with the dummy backend. If that does not work, you can blame
jackd.

If jacks doesn't work with other backends, it's very dependent on how it
does not work. Obviously in these cases, jack has to interact without the
outside world such as a bogus configured system, bogus packaged software,
other audio servers, PEBCAK etc. It's too simple to blame jack for that.

Why is it said that jack is only for expert users? I don't share this view
but the reasoning behind this is that most users won't need to route audio
between applications. There is another aspect to it which is low-latency.
It's not needed for every audio task. If you need low-latency, you really
want no other audio servers being in the way / stack down to the hardware.
Also you don't want to run a low-latency jack just for viewing a few
youtube videos, low-latency stresses the system and is thus not very
battery-friendly on notebooks.

For serious audio, reserve hardware to run just the minimal stuff needed.
To make some analogy, a surgeon doesn't operate on the kitchen table
(under normal circumstances).

Greetings
Thomas

Re: Jack Problems

John Rigg
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 06:30:50PM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dont want to sound disrespectful, but I need to ask.
>
> Who are the experts that will be using Jack.
>
> I havent been on an audio related usergroup where anything positive has
> been said (except largely what I posted) about jack. By large 95% of
> users complain about jack.

It appears to me that you've been having problems with Pulseadudio,
but you insist on saying it's jack's fault. My advice: get rid of
pulseaudio, which has no business being on a serious recording
system at all IMO.

Jack was designed for pro audio use. That doesn't mean others shouldn't
use it, but like any professional tool there's some learning involved.

I don't know who those users are who have nothing good to say about
jack, but I suspect there's some ignorance involved (I don't mean to
be rude). I've used jack since 2005 in my work as an audio engineer,
and it allows me to do things that my Windows- and Mac-using colleagues
are unable to do due to the arbitrary restrictions built in to so much
proprietary software. There's no way I'd go back to those systems even
though I could easily afford to.

> I myself have been using Linux since 97 and did a lot of
> unix and assembler programming before 97.
> I wrote some of the most complex numerical software on Linux for
> clusters. I am well educated with three postgraduate degrees one of
> which is numerical methods. Audio has been a lifelong interest, and
> still is semi-professionally as I have been a performing musician my
> entire life.
>
> If I cannot make sense of it and become an "expert" who will unless they
> have special information.

I have to admit I'm a little puzzled here. Surely the source code is
the obvious documentation to use for an experienced programmer is it
not? Even without that there's a lot of documentation out there on
the alsa and jack web sites, and a quick look with top or ps would
tell you if you have two conflicting audio servers running (which I
suspect is the cause of your problem).

> With software, a lack of proper specification and scriptable advice,
> leads to no one being able to come to grips unless they go study the
> code - even if the application is dead simple. I dont want to do that
> and shouldnt need to as just need to be a user in this case that wants
> to become an expert if possible.

There is a proper specification: the API docs. It sounds like you want
to become an expert but don't want to do any of the necessary work to
achieve that. That may sound harsh, but I think you've made a lot of
unfair and misdirected criticisms in this thread.

John

Re: Jack Problems

Ralf Mardorf
On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 20:28:47 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
>My advice: get rid of pulseaudio, which has no business being on a
>serious recording system at all IMO.

That's true for some of us, you and me. OTOH you could edit a radio
interview using a remote control and bluetooth headphones sitting in
your garden, instead of sitting in your studio. A workaround could be to
use USB audio with bluetooth instead of just using bluetooth, see
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19721#p103800.

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-pussytoes,-cornflower,,-securityink}}|cut -d\  -f2
5.0.3.arch1-1

Re: Jack Problems

Ralf Mardorf
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 00:22:16 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 20:28:47 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
>>My advice: get rid of pulseaudio, which has no business being on a
>>serious recording system at all IMO.
>
>That's true for some of us, you and me. OTOH you could edit a radio
>interview using a remote control and bluetooth headphones sitting in
>your garden, instead of sitting in your studio. A workaround could be
>to use USB audio with bluetooth instead of just using bluetooth, see
>https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19721#p103800.

PS:

Btw. I don't use a remote control. I share wav files between a Linux
tower PC running Ardour and an iPadPro. Off-topic: I still don't own
usable bluetooth phones, so hints are welcome off-list.

Re: Jack Problems

David Nielson-2
On Fri, 2019-03-22 at 18:30 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dont want to sound disrespectful, but I need to ask.
>
> Who are the experts that will be using Jack.
>
> I havent been on an audio related usergroup where anything positive has
> been said (except largely what I posted) about jack. By large 95% of
> users complain about jack.

It's just selection bias. I'll write more positive things, I promise. :)

> I wrote some of the most complex numerical software on Linux for
> clusters. I am well educated with three postgraduate degrees one of
> which is numerical methods. Audio has been a lifelong interest, and
> still is semi-professionally as I have been a performing musician my
> entire life.
>
> If I cannot make sense of it and become an "expert" who will unless they
> have special information. Do the expert study the coded, basically
> become a developer. ?

I started with Linux much later (2005) but my approach was very different. I've never
looked at the source code to either jackd implementation. My career with Linux revolved
around system administration tasks and doing weird-but-interesting experiments involving
doing things over the network that should never be done over the network. I consider myself
an "expert" in using Jack, either by itself or with Pulseaudio, unless firewire is at play;
I have no experience there. My expertise is in knowing the right things to ask Google, from
having built the whole Linux audio stack from source many, many times, and from discovering
basically every way to do it wrong before finding the right solution.

It's just like learning a piece of music: you're going to play it wrong a bunch of times in
a bunch of ways before you play it right.

Don't be afraid to embarrass yourself in #lad either. We're a friendly bunch; just be
polite.

> With software, a lack of proper specification and scriptable advice,
> leads to no one being able to come to grips unless they go study the
> code - even if the application is dead simple. I dont want to do that
> and shouldnt need to as just need to be a user in this case that wants
> to become an expert if possible.

Documentation is lacking. I offered to help a while ago but the wiki was unusable for some
reason. (Is that still the case?) Maybe I'll start one of my own, focusing on specific use
cases people might encounter. I've probably run into all of them at some point...

David Nielson

[Jack-Devel] Uninstalled Pulseaudio Jack/jackd2 Jack Reinstalled still wont start.

liebrecht
Ok, the consensus from about everyone is seemingly that pulseaudio is
the culprit causing all the problems with jack. So I will give that
route a try.

I uninstalled pulseaudio pavucontrol jackd2 jack completely.
I only reinstalled jack, the jackd2 need I dont get so I left it out.

After jack is installed, I try to start it through mixbus which is about
the only application I found that can actually start jack. I used mixbus
for about 6 months with jack on another distro. qjacktcl does nothing
but parse irrelevance and promisses so I dont use it anymore.

I start mixbus from command line.
It starts up but says it cannot find/start jack.
The tail of the terminal output contains the jack start string (which
fails completely to start jack).

resetting paste count
Mixbus:  Screen height is 1080; Font scale is 1; User-scale is 1;
Suggested scale: 1.05469
caught signal - shutting down.
JACK command line will be:  -t 200 -p 2048 -R -T -d alsa -n 2 -r 48000
-p 128 -d hw:VSL,0
Butler drops pool trash
resetting paste count

After which it reports the screenshot.
"http://grossmann-venter.com/issues/jack/jack-mixbus.png"

So, same problem without pulseaudio.

[Jack-Devel] Uninstalled Pulseaudio Jack/jackd2 Jack Reinstalled still wont start.

liebrecht
To add to my previous post by the same title;
When I try to start jack through Mixbus I get.

jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1,
skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1,
skipping unlock

So, there is no pulseaudio anymore in any form it is purged from the
system.

Still jack cannot start even if freshly installed.
I added the jackd2 daemon too, make no difference.

Re: Jack Problems

liebrecht

On 2019-03-24 12:33, David Nielson wrote:

> It's just like learning a piece of music: you're going to play it
> wrong a bunch of times in
> a bunch of ways before you play it right.

Software is either deterministic and converge and it is
non-deterministic and either have stable oscillations or divergence.
It seems to me that jack is not deterministic as the manuals which I
studied up as much as I could, does not seem to result =in a
deterministic understanding of jack.
I think the problem is that jack is sort of a stable oscillation, which
makes it basically impossible to write a single manual for. The manuals
are good but in my opinion does not describe jack in a deterministic
way.
Most of the trouble I get is not covered by the manual.

> Don't be afraid to embarrass yourself in #lad either. We're a friendly
> bunch; just be
> polite.

> Documentation is lacking. I offered to help a while ago but the wiki
> was unusable for some
> reason. (Is that still the case?) Maybe I'll start one of my own,
> focusing on specific use
> cases people might encounter. I've probably run into all of them at
> some point...

Jack is MUCH needed software and we dont really have an alternative, so
I remind myself not to beat up on it. If it was an alpha project, I
would be happy to leave it till later, but it is apparently not.
Since you found a solution it would be great if you could document it.
but I understand it is a huge amount of work.

If I can get a repeatable way to
a) Run it
b) add/remove any other sources and targets without compromise
c) Have deterministic behavior
I would sure write up my findings and help the project.

The time it takes just to get jack working starts to equal that of
studying the source code, see where the gremlins lie, fix it, and
probably fork it if changes are resisted.
I have no interest though to start another software development problem.
I have enough of my own in other fields.
The problem just is that Jack is unique and one of the most needed
pieces of Linux software, which sadly isnt made available to the user,
even educated-user in a digestible form.

It is a real pity.

Re: Jack Problems

liebrecht
On 2019-03-23 16:28, John Rigg wrote:

> It appears to me that you've been having problems with Pulseadudio,
> but you insist on saying it's jack's fault. My advice: get rid of
> pulseaudio, which has no business being on a serious recording
> system at all IMO.

Completely purged pulseaudio from my system. Reinstalled jack. Made sure
only jack and alsa is installed
jack still wont start - go figure.
I guess now it will be alsa's fault since pulseaudio is not around
anymore -- just following the logic.

< I've used jack since 2005 in my work as an audio engineer,
> and it allows me to do things that my Windows- and Mac-using colleagues
> are unable to do due to the arbitrary restrictions built in to so much
> proprietary software. There's no way I'd go back to those systems even
> though I could easily afford to.

I totally agree with you.
Jack is indispensable.
Since you get it running with such impunity, why dont you write it up in
a document from scratch how you get it up reliably and help us all
understand what is needed.
I for one will REALLY appreciate it.

> I have to admit I'm a little puzzled here. Surely the source code is
> the obvious documentation to use for an experienced programmer is it
> not? Even without that there's a lot of documentation out there on
> the alsa and jack web sites, and a quick look with top or ps would
> tell you if you have two conflicting audio servers running (which I
> suspect is the cause of your problem).

Nope and not true, see next answer below. There is an expert user and
there is no other "expert" except the program developer. The programmer
is the only expert on the other side. You cannot ask users to become
program developers.
We are talking on expert users here right ?

> There is a proper specification: the API docs. It sounds like you want
> to become an expert but don't want to do any of the necessary work to
> achieve that. That may sound harsh, but I think you've made a lot of
> unfair and misdirected criticisms in this thread.

Excuse me..
The API is not even remotely a user specification. It is more of the
definition of an interface for the programmer and has nothing to do with
the user.

There is no specification as it stands
A specification in Layman's terms will describe the proposed software to
be released as a "Black Box" and that is long after the API. The
specification is for issuing to the the operator if it is consistent
and is NOT an operation manual. It is the testbed conditions to evaluate
the software, clearly repeatably and consistently, by anyone wanting to
use it.
In modern days, simulators of a piece of equipment running software can
be viewed as a dynamic form of specification as it can only operate
within a specification to be valid.
The simulator is written on the basis of the blackbox behavior.
Obviously not the API as it involves the programmer. A specification
evaluates the software independent from its creators equally valid for
anyone, no bias.

1) Therefore you need to define inputs outputs. This has several
subsections.
2) Points of instability.
3) Operational Dependencies on other software.
...and the list goes on.
There is no formal /specification which would force the software into a
usuable object by testing it against specification or junk and rewrite
if it doesnt conform.
I understand that specification is not really a commercial/casual thing,
as linux is, and rather for mission critical situations, but it would
not hurt to adopt it as it will be usable to general users if it
conforms to a general black box specification and save everyone a lot of
time.

If I wrote the software I would do it, but I understand that it is
unfortunately not the norm in civilian software development which is a
pity.

Re: Jack Problems

Holger Marzen
On Tue, 26 Mar 2019, [hidden email] wrote:

> Completely purged pulseaudio from my system. Reinstalled jack. Made sure only
> jack and alsa is installed
> jack still wont start - go figure.
> I guess now it will be alsa's fault since pulseaudio is not around anymore --
> just following the logic.

Don't have jackd started by other applications. It then needs a correct
~./jackdrc

Start jackd before other applications, either manually or with Qjackctl.
Then post the error message here.

Be sure to have your user added in the group "audio".

Re: Jack Problems

liebrecht
Thanks for your kind help Ralph, I appreciate it.
I reinstalled qjackctl, Configured it in the setup to use VSL (the
1818VSL)
Run start and it starts.

Here is the output.

jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
01:44:00.249 JACK was started with PID=18192.
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio1
creating alsa driver ...
hw:VSL|hw:VSL|256|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 256 frames (5.8 ms), buffer = 2
periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer
little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer
little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
port created: Midi-Through:midi/playback_1
port created: Midi-Through:midi/capture_1
port created: AudioBox-1818-VSL:midi/playback_1
port created: AudioBox-1818-VSL:midi/capture_1
port created: USB-Uno-MIDI-Interface:midi/playback_1
port created: USB-Uno-MIDI-Interface:midi/capture_1
port created: MidiSport-1x1:midi/playback_1
port created: MidiSport-1x1:midi/capture_1
port created: rosegarden:midi/capture_1
port created: rosegarden:midi/playback_2
port created: rosegarden:midi/playback_3
port created: rosegarden:midi/capture_3
port created: rosegarden:midi/playback_4
01:44:00.349 ALSA connection graph change.
01:44:02.472 JACK connection change.
01:44:02.475 Server configuration saved to "/home/johhnycrash/.jackdrc".
01:44:02.476 Statistics reset.
01:44:02.485 Client activated.
01:44:02.486 Patchbay deactivated.
01:44:02.487 Post-startup script...
01:44:02.488 /usr/bin/pajackconnect start && a2jmidid -e &
01:44:02.574 JACK connection graph change.
sh: 1: /usr/bin/pajackconnect: not found
01:44:02.893 Post-startup script terminated successfully.

With jack started with qjackctl, Mixbus fails unfortunately the same way
as before.
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot callback the server in notification thread!
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot callback the server in notification thread!
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot callback the server in notification thread!
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot callback the server in notification thread!
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot callback the server in notification thread!
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot callback the server in notification thread!
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot callback the server in notification thread!

Mixbus sends its own start string with jack, so I expect it will fail
since if jack works correctly, then mixbus always starts it without any
help from qjackctl as I found.

On 2019-03-26 01:40, Holger Marzen wrote:

> Don't have jackd started by other applications. It then needs a correct
> ~./jackdrc
>
> Start jackd before other applications, either manually or with
> Qjackctl.
> Then post the error message here.
>
> Be sure to have your user added in the group "audio".

Re: Jack Problems

liebrecht
I meant Holger not Ralph,regarding =response to this thread.
Sorry, my mistake.

[Jack-Devel] Pulseaudio Replacement

liebrecht
Since pulseaudio is now uninstalled.

What do you recommend should replace it in order that I can direct
browser/system audio to the interface of my choice that will now most
likely be jack as jack routes the interface.

Is there any audio package like pulse that will play nice with jack and
has e.g. panel applets etc. I dont want to willy nilly install and try
everything as you must have an idea what is the best replacement.
I will have to remap my entire audio keyboard too I guess to work with
something else.
It worked rather nicely with pulse.

Also
How do I connect my successfully configured bluetooth sound devices to
jack ?
that one I muiss from the manual.
Pulse does that very well.

Unfortunately the pulse jack-sync ro0ute in the manual doesnt work.
I cannot reroute pulse to use jack, so I rather ask what the expert
users use.

Re: Jack Problems

Holger Marzen
On Tue, 26 Mar 2019, [hidden email] wrote:

> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
> self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
> 01:44:00.249 JACK was started with PID=18192.
> audio_reservation_init
> Acquire audio card Audio1
> creating alsa driver ... hw:VSL|hw:VSL|256|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 256 frames (5.8 ms), buffer = 2 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

This looks good given VSL is the interface that should be used.

> port created: Midi-Through:midi/playback_1
> port created: Midi-Through:midi/capture_1
> port created: AudioBox-1818-VSL:midi/playback_1
> port created: AudioBox-1818-VSL:midi/capture_1
> port created: USB-Uno-MIDI-Interface:midi/playback_1
> port created: USB-Uno-MIDI-Interface:midi/capture_1
> port created: MidiSport-1x1:midi/playback_1
> port created: MidiSport-1x1:midi/capture_1
> port created: rosegarden:midi/capture_1
> port created: rosegarden:midi/playback_2
> port created: rosegarden:midi/playback_3
> port created: rosegarden:midi/capture_3
> port created: rosegarden:midi/playback_4
> 01:44:00.349 ALSA connection graph change.
> 01:44:02.472 JACK connection change.
> 01:44:02.475 Server configuration saved to "/home/johhnycrash/.jackdrc".
> 01:44:02.476 Statistics reset.
> 01:44:02.485 Client activated.
> 01:44:02.486 Patchbay deactivated.
> 01:44:02.487 Post-startup script...
> 01:44:02.488 /usr/bin/pajackconnect start && a2jmidid -e &
> 01:44:02.574 JACK connection graph change.
> sh: 1: /usr/bin/pajackconnect: not found

Whatever pajackconnect is, it is missing. But I think it's only needed
when Pulseaudio is running and is to be configured to output to jackd.

> 01:44:02.893 Post-startup script terminated successfully.

Now try jack clients like Audacity configured for jack. Rosegarden seems
to use the MIDI ports at least.

> With jack started with qjackctl, Mixbus fails unfortunately the same way as
> before.
> [ERROR]: JACK: Cannot callback the server in notification thread!

Mixbus wants to do its own thing. Maybe it needs a jackd running with an
associated server name that's nonstandard. Since Mixbus is a commercial
product I'd ask the vendor/manufacturer.

If they want to run jackd with a different name then everything else
will become a bit more complicated. But that's not jackd's fault.

Re: Jack Problems

liebrecht
Mixbus was the only reliable use I could get out of jack in the past,
but lets give up on that for now.

I have to killall -KILL jack and especially qjackctl a couple of times
until I get jack to start with qjackctl. It seems jack starts as I see
it as a process but qjackctl falsely reports it as not being started.
After a few kills it eventually sees it.
I will just start jack with a string as I did in the past and drop the
qjack thing, but for now I will try and use it.

I can confirm that I get sound out to the 1818VSL by using a Synthesizer
organ app.
SetBfree.
I can play keys and it is passed to the 1818vsl, however I have no
functional global volume controls as my keyboard mappings are not
recognized by jack or whatever now handles the mappings.
Its all raw maximum volume.

The output from qjackctl seems to indicate that setbfree uses jack.
02:47:49.435 JACK connection change.
02:47:49.752 JACK connection graph change.
Destination port in attempted (dis)connection of setBfree DSP Tonewheel
Organ:control and system:midi_capture_1 is not an input port

So does jack even have a mixer of some sort so I dont have to blow the
walls down with the default settings as it is now.?

> Mixbus wants to do its own thing. Maybe it needs a jackd running with
> an
> associated server name that's nonstandard. Since Mixbus is a commercial
> product I'd ask the vendor/manufacturer.
>
> If they want to run jackd with a different name then everything else
> will become a bit more complicated. But that's not jackd's fault.

Re: Jack Problems

Holger Marzen
On Tue, 26 Mar 2019, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have to killall -KILL jack and especially qjackctl a couple of times until I
> get jack to start with qjackctl. It seems jack starts as I see it as a process
> but qjackctl falsely reports it as not being started. After a few kills it
> eventually sees it.
> I will just start jack with a string as I did in the past and drop the qjack
> thing, but for now I will try and use it.

There might be a program that starts jackd when logging in. That could
even by Pulseaudio when playing some system sounds. The script I posted
here makes a "clean table" by killing everything that might get in the
way.

> I can confirm that I get sound out to the 1818VSL by using a Synthesizer organ
> app.
> SetBfree.

Great. So jackd works and Mixbus' behaviour is the problem.

> I can play keys and it is passed to the 1818vsl, however I have no functional
> global volume controls as my keyboard mappings are not recognized by jack or
> whatever now handles the mappings.
> Its all raw maximum volume.

Yep. Jackd has no master volume. I once suggested adding it but no-one
was interested. There are several workarounds:

- If the audio interface has a software controllable mixer, use alsamixer
- Use jack-mixer and set up jack-plumbing to disconnect every
  application from system:out and connect it to one of jack-mixer's
  inputs. Of course it should connect jack-mixer's outputs to
  system:out.

> The output from qjackctl seems to indicate that setbfree uses jack.
> 02:47:49.435 JACK connection change.
> 02:47:49.752 JACK connection graph change.
> Destination port in attempted (dis)connection of setBfree DSP Tonewheel
> Organ:control and system:midi_capture_1 is not an input port
>
> So does jack even have a mixer of some sort so I dont have to blow the walls
> down with the default settings as it is now.?

No. But you can connect your apps to a mixer like jack-mixer as I
described above or use alsamixer.

Re: Jack Problems

liebrecht

Thank you holger.

The remaining problem I now have is for jack to see the 1818vsl inputs.
It looks to me if mixbus will work if jack can just successfully route
the 1818vsl inputs to mixbus. The inputs is seemingly reported as some
system device inputs in the patchage diagram. Would you mind to take a
look.
We know now that the outputs to the 1818vsl works as it should, but
inputs seems missing.

I start jack now by command line and skip the qjackctl abomination.
I installed patchage and my setup is as follows.
Mixbus runs and is connected properly, and should output sound as its
output is connected to the same output as setbfree which works as clear
from patchage.

The problem with mixbus is the inputs.
I have a known to be working and tested spdif keyboard connection that
mixbus dont see any input for.
It is correctly configured in mixbus, it is just that it now cannot get
any signal from jack.

See the patchage output. Unfortunately patchage doesnt have a horizontal
configuration so text might be blurry as it is all portrait and thus
small.

"http://grossmann-venter.com/issues/jack/patchage_status-01.png"

On 2019-03-26 03:29, Holger Marzen wrote:

> Yep. Jackd has no master volume. I once suggested adding it but no-one
> was interested. There are several workarounds:
>
> - If the audio interface has a software controllable mixer, use
> alsamixer
> - Use jack-mixer and set up jack-plumbing to disconnect every
>   application from system:out and connect it to one of jack-mixer's
>   inputs. Of course it should connect jack-mixer's outputs to
>   system:out.

Ok, I see and get the hang of it rather quickly now.

Just a VERY SERIOUS request.
Insist that any newcomer completely PURGE pulseaudio before they get
help here. It will save everyone a lot of time. Even the taskbar applet
which interfered and I had to uninstall it to get jack to work.
Once jack works then tell them try to get pulse back in a responsible
way.
This should be stressed in bold letters on top of the manual and the
first response to someone asking for help rather to say that pulse can
work but is troublesome.

Pulse wasted months of my time and we can avoid it by just removing it
as it is written in a ramrod way with no regard to other applications,
almost as bad as systemd.

Re: Jack Problems

Holger Marzen
On Tue, 26 Mar 2019, [hidden email] wrote:

> The remaining problem I now have is for jack to see the 1818vsl inputs.
> It looks to me if mixbus will work if jack can just successfully route the
> 1818vsl inputs to mixbus. The inputs is seemingly reported as some system
> device inputs in the patchage diagram. Would you mind to take a look.
> We know now that the outputs to the 1818vsl works as it should, but inputs
> seems missing.

Your screenshot shows that jackd has them and Mixbus is connected to
them (audio inputs).

> The problem with mixbus is the inputs.
> I have a known to be working and tested spdif keyboard connection that mixbus
> dont see any input for.
> It is correctly configured in mixbus, it is just that it now cannot get any
> signal from jack.

I don't know if and how SPDIF-input appears in jackd and if it has to be
routed IN the interface by some magic platform-dependent software.
I'd test the analog inputs first since they are connected to mixbus.
1234567 ... 9