[Jack-Devel] Jack cannot run after re-installing

[Jack-Devel] Jack cannot run after re-installing

Alexandros Drymonitis
Hi,
I'm trying to use Jack with an Odroid-U3. I re-installed a Debian Wheezy image which had Jack installed and was working fine with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 sound card.
I did an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" and then I installed libasound2-dev and libjack-dev because I wanted to compile Pure Data from source, and these packages are necessary.
After compiling Pure Data I realized that Jack had been uninstalled (no idea why), so I installed it again, along with Qjackctl, via apt-get.
Now when I try to run Jack through Qjackctl, with the same sound card, Jack starts but after half a second it stops. Here are the messages I get:

20:34:15.291 Patchbay deactivated.

20:34:15.293 Statistics reset.

20:34:15.424 ALSA connection change.

connect(2) call to /tmp/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=Connection refused)

attempt to connect to server failed

20:34:15.443 ALSA connection graph change.

20:34:37.680 JACK is starting...

20:34:37.681 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -Xraw -D -Chw:USB -Phw:USB -i2 -o4

connect(2) call to /tmp/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=Connection refused)

attempt to connect to server failed

jackd 0.124.1

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

20:34:37.696 JACK was started with PID=21882.

apparent rate = 48000

creating alsa driver ... hw:USB|hw:USB|1024|2|48000|2|4|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods

ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for capture

ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

20:34:39.919 JACK connection change.

20:34:39.920 Server configuration saved to "/home/odroid/.jackdrc".

20:34:39.922 Statistics reset.

20:34:39.971 Client activated.

20:34:39.977 Buffer size change (1024).

20:34:40.493 Shutdown notification.

20:34:40.495 Client deactivated.

20:34:40.497 JACK is being forced...

cannot read server event (Success)

cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)

graph error - calling shutdown handler

cannot send request type 7 to server

cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)

cannot send request type 7 to server

cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)

20:34:40.594 JACK has crashed.

20:34:40.704 JACK was stopped

Can anyone shed some light on this one?

Thanks

Re: Jack cannot run after re-installing

John Rigg-16
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 08:45:24PM +0200, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> 20:34:37.681 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -Xraw -D -Chw:USB
> -Phw:USB -i2 -o4

What happens if you leave out the -i2 and -o4 options?

John

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 9:20 AM, John Rigg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 08:45:24PM +0200, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> 20:34:37.681 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -Xraw -D -Chw:USB
> -Phw:USB -i2 -o4

What happens if you leave out the -i2 and -o4 options?
The same. Here are the messages when using the default Channels I/O:

10:04:03.999 Patchbay deactivated.

10:04:04.003 Statistics reset.

10:04:04.117 ALSA connection change.

connect(2) call to /tmp/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)

attempt to connect to server failed

10:04:04.151 ALSA connection graph change.

10:04:21.737 JACK is starting...

10:04:21.738 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -Xraw -D -Chw:USB -Phw:USB

connect(2) call to /tmp/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)

attempt to connect to server failed

jackd 0.124.1

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

10:04:21.753 JACK was started with PID=3690.

apparent rate = 48000

creating alsa driver ... hw:USB|hw:USB|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods

ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for capture

10:04:23.820 Server configuration saved to "/home/odroid/.jackdrc".

10:04:23.822 Statistics reset.

10:04:23.929 Client activated.

10:04:23.933 Buffer size change (0).

ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

10:04:24.721 Buffer size change (1024).

10:04:24.722 JACK connection graph change.

10:04:24.733 JACK connection change.

10:04:25.674 Shutdown notification.

10:04:25.682 Client deactivated.

10:04:25.684 JACK is being forced...

cannot read server event (Success)

cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)

graph error - calling shutdown handler

cannot send request type 7 to server

cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)

cannot send request type 7 to server

cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)

10:04:25.692 JACK has crashed.

10:04:25.885 JACK was stopped

Re: Jack cannot run after re-installing

Adrian Knoth
On 10/24/16 20:45, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:

Hi!

> I'm trying to use Jack with an Odroid-U3. I re-installed a Debian Wheezy
> image which had Jack installed and was working fine with a Focusrite
> Scarlett 2i4 sound card.

> After compiling Pure Data I realized that Jack had been uninstalled (no
> idea why), so I installed it again, along with Qjackctl, via apt-get.

> connect(2) call to /tmp/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=Connection
> refused)
>
> jackd 0.124.1

In short, you've messed up your jackd installation. I have no idea what
you did to your sources.list or if you compiled jackd manually, but
you're clearly no longer using the jackd1 provided by Debian Wheezy.

Wheezy has version 0.121.3, yours is 0.124.1:

    https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/jackd1

Also, Debian's jackd uses /dev/shm and not /tmp (line 58):

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-multimedia/jack-audio-connection-kit.git/tree/debian/rules?h=debian/1%250.121.3%2b20120418git75e3e20b-2&id=86fb4bb017a88304e00b2069d5cf8189fa44f17d#n58

Just clean it all out (uninstall, rm, whatever) and go back to the
pre-packaged jackd.

HTH

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Adrian Knoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

As far as I remember the image was supposed to be a Jessie one, though when I SSH to the Odroid the login is "odroid@odroid-wheezy". Can't remember who made the image, all I remember is that it was posted as a Jessie image.
Here's what's in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ftp.gr.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.gr.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.gr.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.gr.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports non-free contrib main
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports non-free contrib main

deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

I guess that's why the Jessie version of Jack has been installed. I'm not so Linux-savvy, so not really sure what I should do. Should I change all "jessie" to "wheezy" in /etc/apt/sources.list?

Thanks for the hint!

Re: Jack cannot run after re-installing

Chris Caudle
> As far as I remember the image was supposed to be a Jessie one, though
> when I SSH to the Odroid the login is "odroid@odroid-wheezy".

cat /etc/debian_version
cat /etc/os-release  (probably a symlink to /usr/lib/os-release)
cat /etc/dogtag  (might not exist, I have that file on a BeagleBone)

> Should I change all "jessie" to "wheezy" in /etc/apt/sources.list?

Not unless you are really running wheezy.  It seems much more likely that
you just forgot what you have installed than somehow getting jessie
sources configured on a wheezy installation.
I think the only reason Adrian was suggesting to install the wheezy
version of jackd is because you specifically said you had a wheezy
installation, then showed versions of jackd which did not match a wheezy
installation.
If you actually have a jessie installation then the versions you showed
make sense.

--
Chris Caudle

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As far as I remember the image was supposed to be a Jessie one, though
> when I SSH to the Odroid the login is "odroid@odroid-wheezy".

cat /etc/debian_version
This gives jessie/sid

> Should I change all "jessie" to "wheezy" in /etc/apt/sources.list?

Not unless you are really running wheezy.  It seems much more likely that
you just forgot what you have installed than somehow getting jessie
sources configured on a wheezy installation.
Aparently it's a Jessie image (checked online and saw that "sid" means unstable, is that correct?)
I did a kernel update (since I was also trying to get access to some GPIOs of the Odroid, and refreshind the kernel was necessary), and used this one https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/tree/odroid-3.8.y
If I got it right, it was the latest that supported the U family of Odroid (I'm using an Odroid-U3). Then I installed libasound2-dev and libjack-dev cause I need them to compile Pure Data, but libjack-dev removes Qjackctl. /usr/bin/jackd is still there, but calling it doesn't seem to take any effect.
I tried the following:
/usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -Xraw -D -Chw:USB -Phw:USB

and seemed like Jack started, but when I launched Pure Data I got this:
[2]   Bus error               /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -Xraw -D -Chw:USB -Phw:USB
odroid@odroid-wheezy:~$ connect(2) call to /tmp/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=Connection refused)

(even though the login says "odroid-wheezy" it seems that the image is Jessie)

and Pure Data complained that Jack is not running.

Am I getting somewhere here?

Re: Jack cannot run after re-installing

David Nielson-2

On 10/26/2016 09:40 AM, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
>     > Should I change all "jessie" to "wheezy" in /etc/apt/sources.list?

No. That will break things very badly.

> Aparently it's a Jessie image (checked online and saw that "sid" means
> unstable, is that correct?)

For Debian 8 (Jessie), jessie/sid is correct. If a system is running sid
(as mine is) it will show stretch/sid.

> libjack-dev cause I need them to compile Pure Data, but libjack-dev
> removes Qjackctl. /usr/bin/jackd is still there, but calling it doesn't
> seem to take any effect.

I haven't read the whole thread, but this sounds an awful lot like
parallel installations of JACK. If you compiled from source, you MUST
remove ALL of Debian's JACK-related packages, some of which it installs
by default without asking. I have a reasonably reliable guide for
getting a solid, source-compiled JACK setup on Debian Jessie or Sid here:

https://wiki.naptastic.com/nndocs/lad

Warning: I rage pretty hard.

David Nielson

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 04:40:00PM +0200, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> Bus error

That used to happen before JACK was patched to work with ARM memory alignment.
IIRC it can also happen if jackd is started with too many ports. Default is
256. You could try eg. jackd -p16 -d alsa ...etc which starts it with 16 ports
max. A web search on "JACK audio linux ARM bus error" might be informative.

(IANAAU - I am not an ARM user - so treat the above comments accordingly)

John