[Jack-Devel] Jack-devel mailing list is shutting down

[Jack-Devel] Jack-devel mailing list is shutting down

Filipe Coelho-2
Hello everyone, I bring some sad news.

While moving jackaudio.org to be under my control (I have been speaking
with Paul Davis lately about it), everything was apparently going smooth
until we realized we completely forgot about the mailing list.

If someone really wants to keep it going, and is willing to take over
that side of things, please contact me directly.
At this point it will have to be a new setup though.

Me and a few others in #lad IRC channel have been talking about creating
an online space for communication.
I have been experimenting with RocketChat myself, and it is working well.
In any case, it is very likely that at some point later this year we
will have some new way of bringing community together.

Anything that happens will be posted under https://jackaudio.org/news/

Thank you, and I am sorry, at the same time.

Re: Jack-devel mailing list is shutting down

Sunset Tech
Can we get an F going in the list? F βœŠπŸ˜”.Β
Gonna miss the occasional delivery to my inbox of extensive threads and diatribes by people who have no idea what they're doing or talking about

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, 6:03 PM Filipe Coelho <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Malik Costet

Came for an odd question (which got answered), and stayed for the often
fascinating discussions even though I barely got half of it.

On 2019-10-08 00:13, Sunset Tech wrote:

> Can we get an F going in the list? F βœŠπŸ˜”.Β
> Gonna miss the occasional delivery to my inbox of extensive threads and
> diatribes by people who have no idea what they're doing or talking about
>
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, 6:03 PM Filipe Coelho <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone, I bring some sad news.
>
>     While moving jackaudio.org <http://jackaudio.org> to be under my
>     control (I have been speaking
>     with Paul Davis lately about it), everything was apparently going
>     smooth
>     until we realized we completely forgot about the mailing list.
>
>     If someone really wants to keep it going, and is willing to take over
>     that side of things, please contact me directly.
>     At this point it will have to be a new setup though.
>
>     Me and a few others in #lad IRC channel have been talking about
>     creating
>     an online space for communication.
>     I have been experimenting with RocketChat myself, and it is working
>     well.
>     In any case, it is very likely that at some point later this year we
>     will have some new way of bringing community together.
>
>     Anything that happens will be posted under https://jackaudio.org/news/
>

>     Thank you, and I am sorry, at the same time.

Re: Jack-devel mailing list is shutting down

Robin Gareus
On 10/8/19 12:03 AM, Filipe Coelho wrote:

> Hello everyone, I bring some sad news.
>
> While moving jackaudio.org to be under my control (I have been speaking
> with Paul Davis lately about it), everything was apparently going smooth
> until we realized we completely forgot about the mailing list.
>
> If someone really wants to keep it going, and is willing to take over
> that side of things, please contact me directly.
> At this point it will have to be a new setup though.
>
> Me and a few others in #lad IRC channel have been talking about creating
> an online space for communication.
> I have been experimenting with RocketChat myself, and it is working well.
> In any case, it is very likely that at some point later this year we
> will have some new way of bringing community together.
>
> Anything that happens will be posted under https://jackaudio.org/news/
>

> Thank you, and I am sorry, at the same time.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

robin

Re: Jack-devel mailing list is shutting down

Thomas Brand
On 2019-10-08 00:29, Malik Costet wrote:

> Came for an odd question (which got answered), and stayed for the often
> fascinating discussions even though I barely got half of it.
>

> On 2019-10-08 00:13, Sunset Tech wrote:
>> Can we get an F going in the list? F βœŠπŸ˜”.Β
>> Gonna miss the occasional delivery to my inbox of extensive threads
>> and
>> diatribes by people who have no idea what they're doing or talking
>> about
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, 6:03 PM Filipe Coelho <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello everyone, I bring some sad news.
>>
>>     While moving jackaudio.org <http://jackaudio.org> to be under my
>>     control (I have been speaking
>>     with Paul Davis lately about it), everything was apparently going
>>     smooth
>>     until we realized we completely forgot about the mailing list.
>>
>>     If someone really wants to keep it going, and is willing to take
>> over
>>     that side of things, please contact me directly.
>>     At this point it will have to be a new setup though.
>>
>>     Me and a few others in #lad IRC channel have been talking about
>>     creating
>>     an online space for communication.
>>     I have been experimenting with RocketChat myself, and it is
>> working
>>     well.
>>     In any case, it is very likely that at some point later this year
>> we
>>     will have some new way of bringing community together.
>>
>>     Anything that happens will be posted under
>> https://jackaudio.org/news/
>>

>>     Thank you, and I am sorry, at the same time.

I think mailing lists are underestimated by younger people. It has some
benefits over online forum, irc etc.

If moving jackaudio.org means to loose the mailing list, I'd not move
jackauiod.org until this is solved. Removing the mailing list is
actively destroying the remaining jack community.

Cheers
Thomas

Re: Jack-devel mailing list is shutting down

Fons Adriaensen-3
On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 at 03:25:34PM +0200, Thomas Brand wrote:

> I think mailing lists are underestimated by younger people. It has some
> benefits over online forum, irc etc.
>
> If moving jackaudio.org means to loose the mailing list, I'd not move
> jackauiod.org until this is solved. Removing the mailing list is actively
> destroying the remaining jack community.

Agreed 100 %

Re: Jack-devel mailing list is shutting down

John Rigg
On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 at 03:25:34PM +0200, Thomas Brand wrote:
> I think mailing lists are underestimated by younger people. It has some
> benefits over online forum, irc etc.
>
> If moving jackaudio.org means to loose the mailing list, I'd not move
> jackauiod.org until this is solved. Removing the mailing list is
> actively destroying the remaining jack community.

I agree. Mailing lists provide an easy way to archive plain text
versions of posts on topics of interest. I have copies of jack-devel
posts going back 15 years. They also provide an easy way of CC'ing
others or sending OT replies straight to the recipient. In addition
they save the trouble of checking a web interface every day, which
is a real time saver.

Having said all that, I think if the mailing list is taken over by
someone there needs to be some moderation to weed out email which
is not related to jack (or jack client) development. The signal to
noise ratio on the list has declined seriously in the last year or
so.

John

Re: Jack-devel mailing list is shutting down

g4-lisz
On 08.10.19 21:59, John Rigg wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 at 03:25:34PM +0200, Thomas Brand wrote:
>> I think mailing lists are underestimated by younger people. It has some
>> benefits over online forum, irc etc.
>>
>> If moving jackaudio.org means to loose the mailing list, I'd not move
>> jackauiod.org until this is solved. Removing the mailing list is
>> actively destroying the remaining jack community.
> I agree. Mailing lists provide an easy way to archive plain text
> versions of posts on topics of interest. I have copies of jack-devel
> posts going back 15 years. They also provide an easy way of CC'ing
> others or sending OT replies straight to the recipient. In addition
> they save the trouble of checking a web interface every day, which
> is a real time saver.
>
> Having said all that, I think if the mailing list is taken over by
> someone there needs to be some moderation to weed out email which
> is not related to jack (or jack client) development. The signal to
> noise ratio on the list has declined seriously in the last year or
> so.
>
> John

What about opening a project on Sourceforge and then only use the
mailing list capabilities?

Just my two cents.

Till

Re: Jack-devel mailing list is shutting down

Tim-2
On 10/8/19 3:59 PM, John Rigg wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 at 03:25:34PM +0200, Thomas Brand wrote:
>> I think mailing lists are underestimated by younger people. It has some
>> benefits over online forum, irc etc.
>>
>> If moving jackaudio.org means to loose the mailing list, I'd not move
>> jackauiod.org until this is solved. Removing the mailing list is
>> actively destroying the remaining jack community.

In MusE Sequencer's case we opened a forum on LinuxMusicians.
All we get on our ML is spam now ;-)
It's been a lot of fun. Seems a much wider audience now.
Much more engaging. It feels more like an actual community.
Casual viewers can read posts from any browser without having to
  go to an archive. You can opt for notifications on any topic.
You can PM others. Pictures, not sent to mailbox. Statistics. More.
The forums are moderated not only by the forum'ers but also by LM.
Having to use an email account to participate in a discussion
  of your favourite topic now seems... archaic.

I wanted to mention archiving and I saw this:

> I agree. Mailing lists provide an easy way to archive plain text
> versions of posts on topics of interest. I have copies of jack-devel
> posts going back 15 years.

Good point. I was wondering about our forum, whether it was even
  possible to archive. I searched but can't find anything about it.
What if the place goes down?
In Jack's case Filipe will be running the site, so maybe could be done?

Thanks!
Cheers to the Jack community and devs for moving forward.
I'm happy to see it really quite active still.
I think the parity with Jack1 thing is cool.

[ He said, on this here Jack mailing list... ]

Tim.

> They also provide an easy way of CC'ing
> others or sending OT replies straight to the recipient. In addition
> they save the trouble of checking a web interface every day, which
> is a real time saver.
>
> Having said all that, I think if the mailing list is taken over by
> someone there needs to be some moderation to weed out email which
> is not related to jack (or jack client) development. The signal to
> noise ratio on the list has declined seriously in the last year or
> so.
>
> John

Re: Jack-devel mailing list is shutting down

Billy Youdelman
Fons Adriaensen wrote, quoting Thomas Brand:

>> I think mailing lists are underestimated by younger people. It has
>> some benefits over online forum, irc etc.
>>
>> If moving jackaudio.org means to loose the mailing list, I'd not move
>> jackauiod.org until this is solved. Removing the mailing list is
>> actively destroying the remaining jack community.

> Agreed 100 %

I agree as well.  I'd offer to run the list, but I'm now quite old (72)
and would prefer it be handled by someone likely to live longer than me.
  Heh.

ビγƒͺγƒΌ γƒ¨γƒΌγƒ‡γƒ«γƒžγ‚“
+1 310 839 7673
http://MIX.ORG/