[Jack-Devel] Jack to Bluetooth

jamie marchant
Hi:
  I'm new to Jack. Can it be used to redirect audio output over
Bluetooth? Could you use it as a headset with a PS3 in that case?

--
-Jamie Marchant

Re: Jack to Bluetooth

Chris Caudle
On Wed, May 31, 2017 10:19 am, jamie marchant wrote:
>   I'm new to Jack. Can it be used to redirect audio output over
> Bluetooth?

Jack relies on system audio drivers, so that question really depends on
whether there is an ALSA driver for bluetooth.  As such it is not really a
jack question at all, so you would need to ask on the ALSA and pulseaudio
lists.

Most use of bluetooth would be connecting to a bluetooth device, i.e.
playing computer audio through a bluetooth headphone.  What you want is
for your computer to act as if the computer is a bluetooth headphone.
That is not a common use case, so I would be very surprised if that
connection direction is supported.

--
Chris

Re: Jack to Bluetooth

sqweek
On 31 May 2017 at 23:46, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2017 10:19 am, jamie marchant wrote:
>   I'm new to Jack. Can it be used to redirect audio output over
> Bluetooth?

Most use of bluetooth would be connecting to a bluetooth device, i.e.
playing computer audio through a bluetooth headphone.  What you want is
for your computer to act as if the computer is a bluetooth headphone.
That is not a common use case, so I would be very surprised if that
connection direction is supported.

IIRC once I setup bluetooth my phone automatically routed audio through to my [archlinux] laptop when connected, at least for notifications and the like. It was never something I setup intentionally though so I can't help with details. Pretty sure I was using a windows phone at the time; possibly it was android.

... not that any of this brings the subject closer to being on topic for JACK. I'll be quiet now :)
-sqweek

Re: Jack to Bluetooth

Athanasios Silis
Hi there,
has the OP managed to find a solution to their request on this topic?

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 5:05 PM, sqweek <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31 May 2017 at 23:46, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2017 10:19 am, jamie marchant wrote:
>   I'm new to Jack. Can it be used to redirect audio output over
> Bluetooth?

Most use of bluetooth would be connecting to a bluetooth device, i.e.
playing computer audio through a bluetooth headphone.  What you want is
for your computer to act as if the computer is a bluetooth headphone.
That is not a common use case, so I would be very surprised if that
connection direction is supported.

IIRC once I setup bluetooth my phone automatically routed audio through to my [archlinux] laptop when connected, at least for notifications and the like. It was never something I setup intentionally though so I can't help with details. Pretty sure I was using a windows phone at the time; possibly it was android.

... not that any of this brings the subject closer to being on topic for JACK. I'll be quiet now :)
-sqweek

Re: Jack to Bluetooth

Ruslan N. Marchenko

On 07.07.2017 09:42, Athanasios Silis wrote:
Hi there,
has the OP managed to find a solution to their request on this topic?

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 5:05 PM, sqweek <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31 May 2017 at 23:46, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2017 10:19 am, jamie marchant wrote:
>   I'm new to Jack. Can it be used to redirect audio output over
> Bluetooth?

Most use of bluetooth would be connecting to a bluetooth device, i.e.
playing computer audio through a bluetooth headphone.  What you want is
for your computer to act as if the computer is a bluetooth headphone.
That is not a common use case, so I would be very surprised if that
connection direction is supported.

IIRC once I setup bluetooth my phone automatically routed audio through to my [archlinux] laptop when connected, at least for notifications and the like. It was never something I setup intentionally though so I can't help with details. Pretty sure I was using a windows phone at the time; possibly it was android.

... not that any of this brings the subject closer to being on topic for JACK. I'll be quiet now :)
-sqweek

That is workings of the PuleAudio. PA acts as a A2DP client and Jack can just use its sinks/sources injected into Jack as ports via bluetooth-jack driver - or via ALSA mediator.
So PA does remember your connections to each port and restores them once both ends of connection become available (done by various *-restore modules).
The problem with this setup of course is latency - PA+BT = (almost) indefinite latency. So jack bus can be used here - but with little or no benefits. Much easier (and more reliable) would be to connect them all by PA.

--RR