[Jack-Devel] Jack2 1.9.11 Windows installers to test

[Jack-Devel] Jack2 1.9.11 Windows installers to test

Re: Jack2 1.9.11 Windows installers to test

John Emmas
On 25/04/2016 10:40, Stéphane Letz wrote:
> Two new installers to test for Windows :
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28869550/Jack_v1.9.11_32_setup.exe
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28869550/Jack_v1.9.11_64_setup.exe

I just tested the 32-bit installer on Windows 8.1.  Firstly, I've
attached a png file which shows an anomaly with one of the displayed
dialog pages.  It's all okay up to the License Agreement page but the
page for selecting a destination folder looks like the attached png
(assuming it comes through).  I've tried running the installer several
times and I see the same problem each time.

Secondly, I tested with Harrison Mixbus-3 which gave me a run time error
saying "Jack: jack_port_set_name: deprecated".  Presumably that's
something that Mixbus or Ardour will need to sort out?  Best regards,

John

Jack-installer-Destination-page.png (69K) Download Attachment

Re: Jack2 1.9.11 Windows installers to test

Robin Gareus
On 04/25/2016 12:34 PM, John Emmas wrote:
> Jack: jack_port_set_name: deprecated"

That's fine.

Ardour binaries are compatible back to Ubuntu 10.04 so we cannot use the
newer API. If you (or a distro) compiles it there's a configuration
check as for which API to use.

jackd should not report this as *error* at runtime.

A user cannot do anything about it. It should only be a compile time
*warning*.

Even though deprecated, removing the function would break jack's ABI, so
marking this as error is even more questionable.

2c,
robin

Re: Jack2 1.9.11 Windows installers to test

John Emmas
On 25/04/2016 10:40, Stéphane Letz wrote:
> Two new installers to test for Windows :
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28869550/Jack_v1.9.11_32_setup.exe
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28869550/Jack_v1.9.11_64_setup.exe

I just found an opportunity to try the 64-bit installer.

Firstly, the installation folder it offered was "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Jack" (which suggests that its actually a 32-bit installer).
Secondly, whenever I try to launch the newly installed jackd.exe I see
an error message from Windows (see attachment).

FWIW I've tried looking for a DLL called libjackserver64.dll but there
doesn't seem to be one (the installer seems to have installed
libjackserver.dll).  So it looks like there's some kind of mix-up
somewhere.  Maybe the 64-bit installer contains some mixture of 64-bit
and 32-bit modules?

John

Error-when-launching-Jack-v1.9.11-(64-bit).png (177K) Download Attachment

Re: [Jack-Devel] Jack2 1.9.11 Windows installers to test

ChurchOrganist
Does this fix the issue of the installer installing the 32bit jackrouter.dll in a 64 bit machine with consequent detrimental effects on connecting applications to JACK via ASIO?

On 01/05/2016 12:35, John Emmas wrote:

> I just found an opportunity to try the 64-bit installer.
>
> Firstly, the installation folder it offered was "C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Jack" (which suggests that its actually a 32-bit installer).
> Secondly, whenever I try to launch the newly installed jackd.exe I see
> an error message from Windows (see attachment).
>
> FWIW I've tried looking for a DLL called libjackserver64.dll but there
> doesn't seem to be one (the installer seems to have installed
> libjackserver.dll).  So it looks like there's some kind of mix-up
> somewhere.  Maybe the 64-bit installer contains some mixture of 64-bit
> and 32-bit modules?

Just wondered if anyone else can reproduce these problems?

error.PNG (55K) Download Attachment
log.PNG (20K) Download Attachment

On 06/05/2016 07:40, happy musicmaker wrote:

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 1:37 PM, John Emmas <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just found an opportunity to try the 64-bit installer.

Firstly, the installation folder it offered was "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack" (which suggests that its actually a 32-bit installer). Secondly, whenever I try to launch the newly installed jackd.exe I see an error message from Windows

[...]

Just wondered if anyone else can reproduce these problems?

Download Jack just now.  Tried W7 64 bit, Beside dll erorr, also got a behavior warning.

Stephane - are me and Happy Musicmaker the only 2 people who've experienced problems with the latest installers?  Or should we assume the problems aren't fixable?

John

Re: Jack2 1.9.11 Windows installers to test

John Emmas
On 01/05/2016 12:35, John Emmas wrote:

> I just found an opportunity to try the 64-bit installer.
>
> Firstly, the installation folder it offered was "C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Jack" (which suggests that its actually a 32-bit installer).
> Secondly, whenever I try to launch the newly installed jackd.exe I see
> an error message from Windows (see attachment).

Oops - I think I just realised that the 2nd problem might be my own
fault :-(

Inside the folder "C:\Windows\Jack" there were previously some DLLs
which got installed by Mixbus.  In order to prevent them from getting
over-written I renamed them temporarily.  But it seems like Jack was
still trying to load them - even though they no longer had the extension
".dll".  I just moved them out of that folder and I no longer see the
attached error message.

I'm still not sure though whether the installer installed 64-bit jack or
32-bit.  Is there any way I can find out?

On 14/05/2016 19:12, John Emmas wrote:

> I'm still not sure though whether the installer installed 64-bit jack
> or 32-bit.  Is there any way I can find out?

Okay, I'm not sure if anyone's actually reading these reports but after
some further experiments, I think I finally figured this out. Here's
what I said in my original report:-

On 01/05/2016 12:35, John Emmas wrote:

> I just found an opportunity to try the 64-bit installer.
>
> Firstly, the installation folder it offered was "C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Jack" (which suggests that its actually a 32-bit installer)

What seems to be happening is that the 64-bit installer is installing 2
x 32-bit components, namely:-

       C:\Windows\System32\libjack.dll
       C:\Windows\System32\libjackserver.dll

These are in addition to their 64-bit counterparts which get installed
here:-

       C:\Windows\libjack64.dll
       C:\Windows\libjackserver64.dll

I think it's those 32-bit components which cause Windows to offer the
32-bit install location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack) instead of the
more traditional C:\Program Files\Jack

Having said that... the installer for v1.9.10 seems to be the same - so
maybe it's intentional?

John

Re: Jack2 1.9.11 Windows installers to test

Stéphane Letz

> Le 15 mai 2016 à 12:53, John Emmas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On 14/05/2016 19:12, John Emmas wrote:
>>
>> I'm still not sure though whether the installer installed 64-bit jack or 32-bit.  Is there any way I can find out?
>>

> Okay, I'm not sure if anyone's actually reading these reports but after some further experiments, I think I finally figured this out. Here's what I said in my original report:-
>

> On 01/05/2016 12:35, John Emmas wrote:
>>
>> I just found an opportunity to try the 64-bit installer.
>>
>> Firstly, the installation folder it offered was "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack" (which suggests that its actually a 32-bit installer)
>>

> What seems to be happening is that the 64-bit installer is installing 2 x 32-bit components, namely:-
>
>      C:\Windows\System32\libjack.dll
>      C:\Windows\System32\libjackserver.dll
>
> These are in addition to their 64-bit counterparts which get installed here:-
>
>      C:\Windows\libjack64.dll
>      C:\Windows\libjackserver64.dll
>
> I think it's those 32-bit components which cause Windows to offer the 32-bit install location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack) instead of the more traditional C:\Program Files\Jack
>
> Having said that... the installer for v1.9.10 seems to be the same - so maybe it's intentional?
>
> John

Re: Jack2 1.9.11 Windows installers to test

Happy
Installed Jack 64 bit on Win 10 (latest fast channel preview) yesterday (May 31) and now it installed correctly. (Link from the Jack 2 webpage). Only it seem my Focusrite 18i20 is not detected in Jack and on internal hardware it won't start either. (always errors)