[Jack-Devel] JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

[Jack-Devel] JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Alexandros Drymonitis
I'm running jack to use my firewire sound card (presonus firebox) with pure data running this in the terminal: $ jackd -dfirewire
and jack runs with the firewire. But when I open pure data in another terminal window with this $ pd -rt -jack
I get this in jack's terminal:
JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
and the audio every now and then quits for half or a whole second and then comes back. Does this error say something about this behaviour? I've tried several stuff but can't get it to work properly. I also tried jack with audacity and I got drop outs there as well. I'm on ubuntu 12.04 with jack 1.9.8
Can anyone help me out?

Re: JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Jonathan Woithe-2
Hi Alexandros

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 06:31:51PM +0200, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> I'm running jack to use my firewire sound card (presonus firebox) with pure
> data running this in the terminal: $ jackd -dfirewire
> and jack runs with the firewire. But when I open pure data in another
> terminal window with this $ pd -rt -jack
> I get this in jack's terminal:
> JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
> and the audio every now and then quits for half or a whole second and then
> comes back.

I *think* this indicates an issue in PureData.  However, if others more
familiar with jackd messages indicate that it's a problem within FFADO I'll
take this up.  If it is a FFADO problem it would be best to take the
discussion to the ffado-user mailing list (detail are in the "Contact" link
the ffado.org.

After the dropout, is PureData usable and does the Firebox play back PureData
audio?

> I also tried jack with audacity and I got drop outs there as well.

Is the error message similar?  If it is it would tend to suggest that the
problem is not within PureData or audacity.

> I'm on ubuntu 12.04 with jack 1.9.8
> Can anyone help me out?

It would be worth trying a lowlatency kernel if you're not already using
one.  This should be available via the Ubuntu package manager.

Jonathan
(FFADO developer)

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Jonathan Woithe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Alexandros

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 06:31:51PM +0200, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> I'm running jack to use my firewire sound card (presonus firebox) with pure
> data running this in the terminal: $ jackd -dfirewire
> and jack runs with the firewire. But when I open pure data in another
> terminal window with this $ pd -rt -jack
> I get this in jack's terminal:
> JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
> and the audio every now and then quits for half or a whole second and then
> comes back.

I *think* this indicates an issue in PureData.  However, if others more
familiar with jackd messages indicate that it's a problem within FFADO I'll
take this up.  If it is a FFADO problem it would be best to take the
discussion to the ffado-user mailing list (detail are in the "Contact" link
the ffado.org.

After the dropout, is PureData usable and does the Firebox play back PureData
audio?
Yes Pure Data is usable and the Firebox does play the Pure Data audio

> I also tried jack with audacity and I got drop outs there as well.

Is the error message similar?  If it is it would tend to suggest that the
problem is not within PureData or audacity.
There's no error printed when I open Audacity, but when I close it this is printed in Jack's terminal:
JackProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 426660 err = Connection timed out
JackEngine::ClientDeactivate wait error ref = 3 name = PortAudio

No idea if this should be or not..also, when I quit Pd though, I get this in Jack's terminal:
JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 1
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe

> I'm on ubuntu 12.04 with jack 1.9.8
> Can anyone help me out?

It would be worth trying a lowlatency kernel if you're not already using
one.  This should be available via the Ubuntu package manager.
Hmm, I'm a noob to Linux, some tips on how to do this? what should I type in the synaptic package manager? If I type lowlatency I get a bunch of stuff (linux-headers-lowlatenct, linux-image-lowlatency etc.)

Jonathan
(FFADO developer)
Thanks

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 06:57:10PM +0200, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Jonathan Woithe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 06:31:51PM +0200, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> > > I'm running jack to use my firewire sound card (presonus firebox) with pure
> > > data running this in the terminal: $ jackd -dfirewire
> > > and jack runs with the firewire. But when I open pure data in another
> > > terminal window with this $ pd -rt -jack
> > > I get this in jack's terminal:
> > > JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2
> > > JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
> > > and the audio every now and then quits for half or a whole second and then
> > > comes back.
> >
> > I *think* this indicates an issue in PureData.  However, if others more
> > familiar with jackd messages indicate that it's a problem within FFADO I'll
> > take this up.  If it is a FFADO problem it would be best to take the
> > discussion to the ffado-user mailing list (detail are in the "Contact" link
> > the ffado.org.
> >
> > After the dropout, is PureData usable and does the Firebox play back
> > PureData
> > audio?
> >
> Yes Pure Data is usable and the Firebox does play the Pure Data audio

Hmm, interesting.  Do you only see the dropouts when you *start* PureData.
If so then it would appear that the problem might be associated with
application startup or some issue with the way PureData does things while
its jack system is starting up.

> > > I also tried jack with audacity and I got drop outs there as well.
> >
> > Is the error message similar?  If it is it would tend to suggest that the
> > problem is not within PureData or audacity.
> >
> There's no error printed when I open Audacity, but when I close it this is
> printed in Jack's terminal:
> JackProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 426660 err = Connection timed
> out
> JackEngine::ClientDeactivate wait error ref = 3 name = PortAudio
>
> No idea if this should be or not..

No, me neither.

> also, when I quit Pd though, I get this
> in Jack's terminal:
> JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 1
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe

I don't run PureData myself.  It would be interesting to hear whether others
see this.  This in turn may provide a clue as to whether it is related in
some way to the start up glitch.

> > > I'm on ubuntu 12.04 with jack 1.9.8
> > > Can anyone help me out?
> >
> > It would be worth trying a lowlatency kernel if you're not already using
> > one.  This should be available via the Ubuntu package manager.
> >
> Hmm, I'm a noob to Linux, some tips on how to do this? what should I type
> in the synaptic package manager? If I type lowlatency I get a bunch of
> stuff (linux-headers-lowlatenct, linux-image-lowlatency etc.)

Hopefully an ubuntu user can chime in here.  I'd have to see a full list of
the "lowlatency" matchs and guess based on name.

Regards
  jonathan

Re: JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Hanspeter Portner
On 08.01.2014 07:10, Jonathan Woithe wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 06:57:10PM +0200, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
>>> I *think* this indicates an issue in PureData.  However, if others more
>>> familiar with jackd messages indicate that it's a problem within FFADO I'll
>>> take this up.  If it is a FFADO problem it would be best to take the
>>> discussion to the ffado-user mailing list (detail are in the "Contact" link
>>> the ffado.org.
>>>
>>> After the dropout, is PureData usable and does the Firebox play back
>>> PureData
>>> audio?
>>>
>> Yes Pure Data is usable and the Firebox does play the Pure Data audio
> Hmm, interesting.  Do you only see the dropouts when you *start* PureData.
> If so then it would appear that the problem might be associated with
> application startup or some issue with the way PureData does things while
> its jack system is starting up.

>>> Is the error message similar?  If it is it would tend to suggest that the
>>> problem is not within PureData or audacity.
>>>
>> There's no error printed when I open Audacity, but when I close it this is
>> printed in Jack's terminal:
>> JackProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 426660 err = Connection timed
>> out
>> JackEngine::ClientDeactivate wait error ref = 3 name = PortAudio
>>
>> No idea if this should be or not..
> No, me neither.
>
>> also, when I quit Pd though, I get this
>> in Jack's terminal:
>> JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 1
>> JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
>> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
>> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
>> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
>> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
>> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
>> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
>> Cannot write socket fd = 44 err = Broken pipe
> I don't run PureData myself.  It would be interesting to hear whether others
> see this.  This in turn may provide a clue as to whether it is related in
> some way to the start up glitch.
I can confirm this, I get those messages too from time to time when
trying to use Pd's Jack backend.
It does run once in a while with Jack, but then there are terrible audio
latencies (~0.5s!) to live event
inputs (OSC, MIDI) which makes it pretty much useless for me.

Pd 0.45.3, jackdmp 1.9.9.5, ArchLinux, kernel 3.12.6 x86_64

Apart from Pd, my Jack/audio setup works flawlessly, which makes Pd the
most probable culprit and not Jack itself, IMHO.
I'd recommend to search/ask the Pd list whether this is a known issue,
additionally.

Pd works fine with ALSA directly, though.
Hanspeter

>>> It would be worth trying a lowlatency kernel if you're not already using
>>> one.  This should be available via the Ubuntu package manager.
>>>
>> Hmm, I'm a noob to Linux, some tips on how to do this? what should I type
>> in the synaptic package manager? If I type lowlatency I get a bunch of
>> stuff (linux-headers-lowlatenct, linux-image-lowlatency etc.)
> Hopefully an ubuntu user can chime in here.  I'd have to see a full list of
> the "lowlatency" matchs and guess based on name.
>
> Regards
>   jonathan

Re: JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

John Mills-2

> I don't run PureData myself.  It would be interesting to hear whether others
> see this.  This in turn may provide a clue as to whether it is related in
> some way to the start up glitch.

I started pd as 'pd -jack'

JACK messages were OK
I suspended pd with Ctrl-Z

I saw this:

JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 1
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
20:26:07.073 XRUN callback (1).
JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 1
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 1
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 1
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 1

- until I run pd in the background with
bg

HTH
John Mills
Ubuntu 12.10 (not rt kernel) jackdmp 1.9.9 (RT mode) Pd 0.43.2

Re: JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Alexandros Drymonitis

Apart from Pd, my Jack/audio setup works flawlessly, which makes Pd the
most probable culprit and not Jack itself, IMHO.
I'd recommend to search/ask the Pd list whether this is a known issue,
additionally.
I've been posting there, but got answers up to a certain point...

Pd works fine with ALSA directly, though.
Can I use my firewire sound card with ALSA?

Hanspeter

Re: JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Paul Davis

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Alexandros Drymonitis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Apart from Pd, my Jack/audio setup works flawlessly, which makes Pd the
most probable culprit and not Jack itself, IMHO.
I'd recommend to search/ask the Pd list whether this is a known issue,
additionally.
I've been posting there, but got answers up to a certain point...

PureData's support for JACK is known to be, ahem, a bit buggy when it comes to real-time safety conformance.

Pd works fine with ALSA directly, though.
Can I use my firewire sound card with ALSA?

not yet.

Re: JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Chris Caudle
On Wed, January 8, 2014 4:02 am, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
>> Pd works fine with ALSA directly, though.
> Can I use my firewire sound card with ALSA?

Perhaps using one of the alsa to jack bridge drivers, still use jack to
interface to the firewire audio interface, but have PD use the ALSA driver
to talk to the alsa-to-jack bridge rather than directly to jack.

--
Chris Caudle

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Fryderyk Dziarmagowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8 January 2014 15:25, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Alexandros Drymonitis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can I use my firewire sound card with ALSA?

not yet.

i'm fairly sure that original poster was not asking about whether or not they can rebuild their kernel with work-in-progress drivers. ALSA support for firewire audio interfaces is awesome and exciting but AFAIK, the work is not done yet.

Re: JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Adrian Knoth
On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 12:26:27PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> >> Can I use my firewire sound card with ALSA?
> >> not yet.
> > sure you can: https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve.git
>
> i'm fairly sure that original poster was not asking about whether or not
> they can rebuild their kernel with work-in-progress drivers. ALSA support
> for firewire audio interfaces is awesome and exciting but AFAIK, the work
> is not done yet.

This pretty much sums it up. It's heavy work-in-progress, far far away
from feature-complete (sometimes no clock selection, sometimes
playback-only).

I'm also happy to see the move to kernel space, one of my former
students has contributed some bits on DICE support, and we ran
bidirectional streaming at different rates without FFADO.

AFAIK, there's currently no userspace API for the various device
settings (clock, phantom power, other toggle options...), which either
could be done via ALSA's mixer API (like the RME drivers) or via
something completely different, but this would require additional
userspace tools.

In any case, exciting progress. As a rule of thumb, I'd say: If you're
somewhat familiar with device drivers (as in "hack a line or two") and
compiling kernels from git, it's worth a shot. Otherwise, wait until
it's in mainline. (read: under no circumstances, recommend this to the
occasional user who already has problems installing Ubuntu)

Cheers

--
mail: [hidden email]   http://adi.thur.de        PGP/GPG: key via keyserver

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Fryderyk Dziarmagowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8 January 2014 15:25, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Alexandros Drymonitis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can I use my firewire sound card with ALSA?

not yet.

i'm fairly sure that original poster was not asking about whether or not they can rebuild their kernel with work-in-progress drivers. ALSA support for firewire audio interfaces is awesome and exciting but AFAIK, the work is not done yet.
Well, a thread can always take its own way, but as the 'poster' of this thread, yes, I was asking whether (and if yes, how) can I use my Presonus Firebox with Jack and Pure Data on Ubuntu 12.04.
As far as sending data to ALSA and using the alsa-to-jack-bridge, I don't think that it will do, as it not just Pure Data, I also get drop outs with Audacity, so it must be something with the Firewire and the specific sound card. In FFADO's device support page, it's mentioned that this sound card is 'reported to work' (bottom of the page).
Is anyone using this sound card with any Linux distribution? I'd be happy to change my Linux distribution if I can use Pure Data and my Firebox...

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Adrian Knoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 12:26:27PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> >> Can I use my firewire sound card with ALSA?
> >> not yet.
> > sure you can: https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve.git
>
> i'm fairly sure that original poster was not asking about whether or not
> they can rebuild their kernel with work-in-progress drivers. ALSA support
> for firewire audio interfaces is awesome and exciting but AFAIK, the work
> is not done yet.

This pretty much sums it up. It's heavy work-in-progress, far far away
from feature-complete (sometimes no clock selection, sometimes
playback-only).

I'm also happy to see the move to kernel space, one of my former
students has contributed some bits on DICE support, and we ran
bidirectional streaming at different rates without FFADO.

AFAIK, there's currently no userspace API for the various device
settings (clock, phantom power, other toggle options...), which either
could be done via ALSA's mixer API (like the RME drivers) or via
something completely different, but this would require additional
userspace tools.

In any case, exciting progress. As a rule of thumb, I'd say: If you're
somewhat familiar with device drivers (as in "hack a line or two") and
compiling kernels from git, it's worth a shot. Otherwise, wait until
it's in mainline. (read: under no circumstances, recommend this to the
occasional user who already has problems installing Ubuntu)
With some directions I guess I could 'hack a line or two', but I am certainly not a programmer. I had no problems installing Ubuntu, or partitioning my hard drive. I don't mind messing around with some stuff or trying things out, it's a good way to learn. But only if someone who know is willing to give me some directions..

Cheers

On Wed, January 8, 2014 12:15 pm, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> I also get drop outs with Audacity,

Audacity is known for having a poor jack implementation.

I don't remember if it was this list or Linux audio users, but recently
someone suggested using jack_metro as a quick check.  Start jack, probably
using qjackctl is the easiest way to get everything set and connected
properly, once jack is running start jack_metro (something like jack_metro
-b 105 just starts with a default amplitude and 105 beats per minute), and
use the connection dialog in qjackctl to connect the metronome output to
your system playback ports.
That will tell you within about a minute whether jack is working  OK on
your system.

So far you have only checked with two applications that are both known to
have problems with their jack implementation, so I'm not sure you can make
any conclusions yet about the proper operation of jack, your firewire
drivers, or your system realtime capabilities yet.

--
Chris Caudle

Re: JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Florian Paul Schmidt-2

Re: JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2 JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Jonathan Woithe-2
On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 12:26:27PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Fryderyk Dziarmagowski <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 8 January 2014 15:25, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Alexandros Drymonitis <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >> Can I use my firewire sound card with ALSA?
> >>
> >> not yet.
> >
> > sure you can: https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve.git
>
> i'm fairly sure that original poster was not asking about whether or not
> they can rebuild their kernel with work-in-progress drivers. ALSA support
> for firewire audio interfaces is awesome and exciting but AFAIK, the work
> is not done yet.

To provide further clarification about this, the snd-firewire driver work is
the first visible sign of moving the FFADO audio streaming code into the
kernel (device control will most likely be userspace due to certain
reasons).  I expect that once the initial code by Takashi is done we will
start to see more movement of the FFADO streaming component into the kernel
by using the initial drivers as a template.  I am very keen to do this for
the devices I maintain but there is a currently a lack of documentation
about how to go about writing such a driver within the ALSA framework.
Hense the reliance on an initial driver as a template.

Having said that, snd-firewire is, as Paul said, a work in progress
experimental driver.  YMMV and it currently supports only certain devices
(each device family requires its own driver code; the current code is for
some DICE and BeBoB devices).  I believe the initial code may be pulled for
3.13 or 3.14 but further tweaks will almost certainly be needed.  This is
still very much under development and testing is certainly welcomed.
However, it is certainly not ready for end-users who just need things to
work.

I hope this helps.

jonathan

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 07:13:05PM +0100, Adrian Knoth wrote:

> > > sure you can: https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve.git
> >
> > i'm fairly sure that original poster was not asking about whether or not
> > they can rebuild their kernel with work-in-progress drivers. ALSA support
> > for firewire audio interfaces is awesome and exciting but AFAIK, the work
> > is not done yet.
>
> This pretty much sums it up. It's heavy work-in-progress, far far away
> from feature-complete (sometimes no clock selection, sometimes
> playback-only).

Agreed.

> AFAIK, there's currently no userspace API for the various device
> settings (clock, phantom power, other toggle options...), which either
> could be done via ALSA's mixer API (like the RME drivers) or via
> something completely different, but this would require additional
> userspace tools.

The current plan is to stick with the existing FFADO "mixer"
control/settings framework.  While some devices are simple enough that the
ALSA mixer API *could* be used, there are others for which it is unlikely to
work well.  We'll see how it pans out.  In any case, kernel streaming is the
most important part from the stability and usability point of view.

> In any case, exciting progress. As a rule of thumb, I'd say: If you're
> somewhat familiar with device drivers (as in "hack a line or two") and
> compiling kernels from git, it's worth a shot. Otherwise, wait until
> it's in mainline. (read: under no circumstances, recommend this to the
> occasional user who already has problems installing Ubuntu)

Correct; I agree completely.

jonathan

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 08:15:39PM +0200, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> Well, a thread can always take its own way, but as the 'poster' of this
> thread, yes, I was asking whether (and if yes, how) can I use my Presonus
> Firebox with Jack and Pure Data on Ubuntu 12.04.
> As far as sending data to ALSA and using the alsa-to-jack-bridge, I don't
> think that it will do, as it not just Pure Data, I also get drop outs with
> Audacity, so it must be something with the Firewire and the specific sound
> card. In FFADO's device support page, it's mentioned that this sound card
> is 'reported to work <http://ffado.org/?q=devicesupport/list&page=2>'
> (bottom of the page).

It may be a separate issue, but are you using a "lowlatency" kernel?

> Is anyone using this sound card with any Linux distribution? I'd be happy
> to change my Linux distribution if I can use Pure Data and my Firebox...

People are using the Firebox successfully under Linux with FFADO.  PureData
seems to be slightly problematic in its jackd support, but others using the
firebox were not, as far as I recall, using pd.  So there *may* be a pd
issue at play under all this in your case.

I vaguely recall a PD discussion on the FFADO lists during 2013, and the end
result might have been a patch to PD.  The details escape me at present but
I can't check the archive for this right now, so I don't know if it might be
relevant to your situation.  Checking the FFADO user and devel lists might
still be worth a shot.

Regards
  jonathan

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, January 8, 2014 4:02 am, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
>> Pd works fine with ALSA directly, though.
> Can I use my firewire sound card with ALSA?

Perhaps using one of the alsa to jack bridge drivers, still use jack to
interface to the firewire audio interface, but have PD use the ALSA driver
to talk to the alsa-to-jack bridge rather than directly to jack.
Can you suggest an alsa-to-jack bridge? Nothing really comes up in Ubuntu's 'software center'?

--
Chris Caudle