[Jack-Devel] Linux Distro with Least problems with Jack

[Jack-Devel] Linux Distro with Least problems with Jack

liebrecht
I am ditching my windows audio production workstation and need to get
the Linux software under my belt. Cant work with the crashorama and
closed nature of windows anymore. It bytes always in the end.

I therefore have to master Jack asap as it is crucial to the software I
will use (Mixbus by Harrison).

Questions

1) Please suggest a Linux distro that you have found works best with the
current newest Jack release

2) Please give me the best known in-depth tutorial on Jack that will get
me up and running.

3) Please suggest the best to your experience  visual connection
interface application that works with jack, e.g. qjackctl etc etc.

Thanks

Re: Linux Distro with Least problems with Jack

Robin Gareus
On 11/30/2018 05:34 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am ditching my windows audio production workstation and need to get
> the Linux software under my belt. Cant work with the crashorama and
> closed nature of windows anymore. It bytes always in the end.

Welcome aboard!

> I therefore have to master Jack asap as it is crucial to the software I
> will use (Mixbus by Harrison).

Mixbus runs just fine without JACK. You only need jackd if you want to
route audio/midi between applications (think rewire), or if you have a
firewire/1394 soundcard).

In general we recommend to just use Mixbus/ALSA, that's a lot easier to
get started with and switch to jack only if you want to or need to.

> Questions
>
> 1) Please suggest a Linux distro that you have found works best with the
> current newest Jack release

AVLinux or KXStudio

http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

> 2) Please give me the best known in-depth tutorial on Jack that will get
> me up and running.

http://libremusicproduction.com/workflow

Then again, AVLinux and KXStudio both have all this pre-configured.
AVLinux also comes with an exhaustive manual:
http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2018UserManual.pdf

> 3) Please suggest the best to your experience  visual connection
> interface application that works with jack, e.g. qjackctl etc etc.

That is mostly personal taste.

Cheers!
robin

Re: Linux Distro with Least problems with Jack

Holger Marzen
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018, [hidden email] wrote:

> 2) Please give me the best known in-depth tutorial on Jack that will get me up
> and running.

http://libremusicproduction.com/articles/demystifying-jack-%E2%80%93-beginners-guide-getting-started-jack

is not bad.

> 3) Please suggest the best to your experience  visual connection interface
> application that works with jack, e.g. qjackctl etc etc.

Don't miss the non-visual connection interface "jack-plumbing". It has
to run permanently and connects/disconnects based on rules like:

(connect    "PortAudio:out_.*[13579]" "jack_mixer:JACK R")
(connect    "PortAudio:out_.*[02468]" "jack_mixer:JACK L")
(disconnect "PortAudio:out_.*" "jack_mixer:JACK .*")
(disconnect "PortAudio:out_.*" "system:playback_.*")

That's handy for clients whose ports only show up when playing, like
Audacity.

Re: Linux Distro with Least problems with Jack

David Kastrup
Robin Gareus <[hidden email]> writes:

>> I am ditching my windows audio production workstation and need to get
>> the Linux software under my belt. Cant work with the crashorama and
>> closed nature of windows anymore. It bytes always in the end.
>
> Welcome aboard!
>
>> I therefore have to master Jack asap as it is crucial to the software I
>> will use (Mixbus by Harrison).
>
> Mixbus runs just fine without JACK. You only need jackd if you want to
> route audio/midi between applications (think rewire), or if you have a
> firewire/1394 soundcard.

It's worth pointing out that the threshold to "between applications" is
not actually all that high.  An application can be something as simple
as a desktop recorder for recording an audio processing
session/talk/demo.

> In general we recommend to just use Mixbus/ALSA, that's a lot easier
> to get started with and switch to jack only if you want to or need to.

Ardour can start jackd on its own in which case it's just the matter of
making a different selection in its audio startup dialog.  So getting
started, assuming a working installation, should not be significantly
more difficult.  And "assuming a working installation" is one of the
major points of

>> 1) Please suggest a Linux distro that you have found works best with the
>> current newest Jack release

or other typical free software rather than running the same, assuming
their respective availability, under Windows.

--
David Kastrup