[Jack-Devel] MacOS support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Jack-Devel] MacOS support

Stefan Hellkvist
Hi list,

(Sorry this question has already been discussed but the search function in the archive of the list does not work)

Is anyone working on the problem of getting Jack up and running on MacOS again? I installed Jack with brew but I get these “could not handle external client request” errors which seems to be old problems from looking at search results and GitHub discussions - problems introduced when MacOS audio architecture was changed a while back. Is there any progress on these matters? Is someone working on it? I need Jack as it is a dependency to another library I would like to use but I realize that I might have to abandon MacOS as a platform in the process.

Kindest regards,
Stefan
_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Michael
PLEASE.

I am still using Mac OS 10.9.5 because of Jack. If Jack can be updated to a newer OS, then I can finally upgrade.

On 2018-02-01, at 5:59 AM, Stefan Hellkvist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> (Sorry this question has already been discussed but the search function in the archive of the list does not work)
>
> Is anyone working on the problem of getting Jack up and running on MacOS again? I installed Jack with brew but I get these “could not handle external client request” errors which seems to be old problems from looking at search results and GitHub discussions - problems introduced when MacOS audio architecture was changed a while back. Is there any progress on these matters? Is someone working on it? I need Jack as it is a dependency to another library I would like to use but I realize that I might have to abandon MacOS as a platform in the process.
>
> Kindest regards,
> Stefan
> _______________________________________________
> Jack-Devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Michael
In reply to this post by Stefan Hellkvist
PLEASE.

I am still using Mac OS 10.9.5 because of Jack. If Jack can be updated to a newer OS, then I can finally upgrade.

On 2018-02-01, at 5:59 AM, Stefan Hellkvist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> (Sorry this question has already been discussed but the search function in the archive of the list does not work)
>
> Is anyone working on the problem of getting Jack up and running on MacOS again? I installed Jack with brew but I get these “could not handle external client request” errors which seems to be old problems from looking at search results and GitHub discussions - problems introduced when MacOS audio architecture was changed a while back. Is there any progress on these matters? Is someone working on it? I need Jack as it is a dependency to another library I would like to use but I realize that I might have to abandon MacOS as a platform in the process.
>
> Kindest regards,
> Stefan
> _______________________________________________
> Jack-Devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Chris Caudle
In reply to this post by Michael
On Thu, February 1, 2018 10:08 am, Michael wrote:
> I am still using Mac OS 10.9.5 because of Jack. If Jack can be updated to
> a newer OS, then I can finally upgrade.

I think one of two things needs to happen:
1) the jack users who want Mac OS support to get cleaned up need to
recruit some Mac developers to help work on this

2) buy a new Mac for some of the current jack maintainers to use for
development and debug

As far as I know (and Filipe can correct this if I am mistaken), the
developers who originally worked on the Mac port of jackd have moved on to
other projects and are no longer actively involved in jack development (or
at least not much).  Previously Harrison had some interest in keeping the
Mac port usable, but now that Mixbus has the native audio backends from
Ardour, I don't think that there is any commercial entity supporting jack
on Windows or Mac, and the current maintainer is primarily a linux dev
working on jack as a volunteer, so users are going to have to step up and
find a way to keep this going.

--
Chris Caudle


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Kjetil Matheussen-2


On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, February 1, 2018 10:08 am, Michael wrote:
> I am still using Mac OS 10.9.5 because of Jack. If Jack can be updated to
> a newer OS, then I can finally upgrade.

I think one of two things needs to happen:
1) the jack users who want Mac OS support to get cleaned up need to
recruit some Mac developers to help work on this

2) buy a new Mac for some of the current jack maintainers to use for
development and debug

As far as I know (and Filipe can correct this if I am mistaken), the
developers who originally worked on the Mac port of jackd have moved on to
other projects and are no longer actively involved in jack development (or
at least not much).  Previously Harrison had some interest in keeping the
Mac port usable, but now that Mixbus has the native audio backends from
Ardour, I don't think that there is any commercial entity supporting jack
on Windows or Mac, and the current maintainer is primarily a linux dev
working on jack as a volunteer, so users are going to have to step up and
find a way to keep this going.


Radium only has a Jack backend. If jack stops working on MacOS I will
certainly look into it, but I haven't noticed jack not working on any version
of MacOS (including high sierra), and I haven't heard any user compaining
about Jack not working on OSX before now.

Stefan, can you try to install Jack included with Radium instead of using brew?



_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Stéphane Letz

> Le 1 févr. 2018 à 17:33, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>
>
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, February 1, 2018 10:08 am, Michael wrote:
> > I am still using Mac OS 10.9.5 because of Jack. If Jack can be updated to
> > a newer OS, then I can finally upgrade.
>
> I think one of two things needs to happen:
> 1) the jack users who want Mac OS support to get cleaned up need to
> recruit some Mac developers to help work on this
>
> 2) buy a new Mac for some of the current jack maintainers to use for
> development and debug
>
> As far as I know (and Filipe can correct this if I am mistaken), the
> developers who originally worked on the Mac port of jackd have moved on to
> other projects and are no longer actively involved in jack development (or
> at least not much).  Previously Harrison had some interest in keeping the
> Mac port usable, but now that Mixbus has the native audio backends from
> Ardour, I don't think that there is any commercial entity supporting jack
> on Windows or Mac, and the current maintainer is primarily a linux dev
> working on jack as a volunteer, so users are going to have to step up and
> find a way to keep this going.
>
>
> Radium only has a Jack backend. If jack stops working on MacOS I will
> certainly look into it, but I haven't noticed jack not working on any version
> of MacOS (including high sierra), and I haven't heard any user compaining
> about Jack not working on OSX before now.
>
> Stefan, can you try to install Jack included with Radium instead of using brew?
> http://users.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/demos/macosx/?C=M;O=D
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Jack-Devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org


The lastest JackOSX.0.92_b3.zip work indeed  up to high sierra, with the restriction that JackRouter device cannot be used as « Audio default device » anymore for CoreAudio application (known issue since Yosemite 10.10 I think)

Stéphane


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Chris Caudle
On Thu, February 1, 2018 10:42 am, Stephane Letz wrote:
> The lastest JackOSX.0.92_b3.zip work indeed  up to high sierra, with the
> restriction that JackRouter device cannot be used as « Audio default
> device » anymore for CoreAudio application (known issue since Yosemite
> 10.10 I think)

Version numbers are confusing for MacOS, I think JackOSX 0.92 is actually
jackd 1.9.10, correct?

In any event Filipe said specifically that 1.9.12 was not building
correctly on Mac OS, there is only a source tarball available for Mac and
Windows, binary builds of 1.9.12 are only available for linux.  Having
some static old build in use forever is not going to be sustainable.

--
Chris Caudle


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Kjetil Matheussen-2


On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 6:27 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, February 1, 2018 10:42 am, Stephane Letz wrote:
> The lastest JackOSX.0.92_b3.zip work indeed  up to high sierra, with the
> restriction that JackRouter device cannot be used as « Audio default
> device » anymore for CoreAudio application (known issue since Yosemite
> 10.10 I think)

Version numbers are confusing for MacOS, I think JackOSX 0.92 is actually
jackd 1.9.10, correct? 
  
In any event Filipe said specifically that 1.9.12 was not building
correctly on Mac OS, there is only a source tarball available for Mac and
Windows, binary builds of 1.9.12 are only available for linux.  Having
some static old build in use forever is not going to be sustainable.


As I said, if jack stops working on OSX in the future, I'm going to look at it,
at least if no one else is. Jack on OSX is pretty much a finished product
as far as I can judge.


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Kjetil Matheussen-2


On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 6:34 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 6:27 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, February 1, 2018 10:42 am, Stephane Letz wrote:
> The lastest JackOSX.0.92_b3.zip work indeed  up to high sierra, with the
> restriction that JackRouter device cannot be used as « Audio default
> device » anymore for CoreAudio application (known issue since Yosemite
> 10.10 I think)

Version numbers are confusing for MacOS, I think JackOSX 0.92 is actually
jackd 1.9.10, correct? 
  
In any event Filipe said specifically that 1.9.12 was not building
correctly on Mac OS, there is only a source tarball available for Mac and
Windows, binary builds of 1.9.12 are only available for linux.  Having
some static old build in use forever is not going to be sustainable.


As I said, if jack stops working on OSX in the future, I'm going to look at it,
at least if no one else is. Jack on OSX is pretty much a finished product
as far as I can judge.


Oh, and go here to find binaries and sources:
0.92_b3 is the same as 1.9.12, not 1.9.10.



_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Stéphane Letz
And my old OS X G5 machine still on OS X 10.6, were all that JackOSX stuff was developed, just died a few days ago ((-;

End of JackOSX on GRAME side probably...

Stéphane

> Le 1 févr. 2018 à 18:36, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>
>
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 6:34 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 6:27 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, February 1, 2018 10:42 am, Stephane Letz wrote:
> > The lastest JackOSX.0.92_b3.zip work indeed  up to high sierra, with the
> > restriction that JackRouter device cannot be used as « Audio default
> > device » anymore for CoreAudio application (known issue since Yosemite
> > 10.10 I think)
>
> Version numbers are confusing for MacOS, I think JackOSX 0.92 is actually
> jackd 1.9.10, correct?
>  
> In any event Filipe said specifically that 1.9.12 was not building
> correctly on Mac OS, there is only a source tarball available for Mac and
> Windows, binary builds of 1.9.12 are only available for linux.  Having
> some static old build in use forever is not going to be sustainable.
>
>
> As I said, if jack stops working on OSX in the future, I'm going to look at it,
> at least if no one else is. Jack on OSX is pretty much a finished product
> as far as I can judge.
>
>
> Oh, and go here to find binaries and sources:
>  http://www.jackaudio.org/downloads/
> 0.92_b3 is the same as 1.9.12, not 1.9.10.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Jack-Devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Chris Caudle
On Thu, February 1, 2018 11:52 am, Stéphane Letz wrote:
> And my old OS X G5 machine still on OS X 10.6, were all that JackOSX stuff
> was developed, just died a few days ago ((-;
>
> End of JackOSX on GRAME side probably...

It is encouraging that the JackOSX 0.92_b3 package is actually 1.9.12, but
very confusing that the naming is so wildly different that it is
impossible to tell what jackd version is contained in that package.

Did falktx build that JackOSX package?  It is not clear why his 1.9.12
announce message indicated that there were no 1.9.12 builds for Mac OS if
the Mac OS builds were working properly. Did someone else step in and help
build after that announcement email?  Did falk get his Mac builds working?

--
Chris Caudle


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Stéphane Letz

> Le 1 févr. 2018 à 20:21, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On Thu, February 1, 2018 11:52 am, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>> And my old OS X G5 machine still on OS X 10.6, were all that JackOSX stuff
>> was developed, just died a few days ago ((-;
>>
>> End of JackOSX on GRAME side probably...
>
> It is encouraging that the JackOSX 0.92_b3 package is actually 1.9.12, but
> very confusing that the naming is so wildly different that it is
> impossible to tell what jackd version is contained in that package.
>
> Did falktx build that JackOSX package?  It is not clear why his 1.9.12
> announce message indicated that there were no 1.9.12 builds for Mac OS if
> the Mac OS builds were working properly. Did someone else step in and help
> build after that announcement email?  Did falk get his Mac builds working?
>
> --
> Chris Caudle
>

I’ve built JackOSX 0.92_b3 on the now died G5 machine.

Stéphane
_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Chris Caudle
On Thu, February 1, 2018 1:24 pm, Stéphane Letz wrote:
> I've built JackOSX 0.92_b3 on the now died G5 machine.

Then I refer back to my previous message, shipping an old version forever
is not sustainable, jackd on Mac users who want support going forward from
now need to recruit Mac developers to help, or at least get together and
buy a Mac for falktx to use.

--
Chris Caudle


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Kjetil Matheussen-2


On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:18 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, February 1, 2018 1:24 pm, Stéphane Letz wrote:
> I've built JackOSX 0.92_b3 on the now died G5 machine.

Then I refer back to my previous message, shipping an old version forever
is not sustainable, jackd on Mac users who want support going forward from
now need to recruit Mac developers to help, or at least get together and
buy a Mac for falktx to use.


If mac users wants to help, they can do so. The repository seems to contain
everything that's needed. There's both xcode files, and support for darwin in the wscript file.
If needed, it shouldn't be much work to create new jack releases.


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Filipe Coelho
In reply to this post by Chris Caudle
On 01.02.2018 22:18, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Thu, February 1, 2018 1:24 pm, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>> I've built JackOSX 0.92_b3 on the now died G5 machine.
> Then I refer back to my previous message, shipping an old version forever
> is not sustainable, jackd on Mac users who want support going forward from
> now need to recruit Mac developers to help, or at least get together and
> buy a Mac for falktx to use.

No need to get me a Mac, I already have a new MacBook from the company
that I can use (temporarily) and a Mac-mini myself.
(I also have macOS in a VM for quick stuff)

In my view, JACK will always be focused on more open platforms first.

For macOS, new builds will be handled with waf instead of XCode.
But won't be a priority at first, there's some cleanup and handling of
the code that I think needs to be done first,
which doesn't change the end result much so no new binaries really
required for now.


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

David Kastrup
In reply to this post by Kjetil Matheussen-2
Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:18 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, February 1, 2018 1:24 pm, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>> > I've built JackOSX 0.92_b3 on the now died G5 machine.
>>
>> Then I refer back to my previous message, shipping an old version forever
>> is not sustainable, jackd on Mac users who want support going forward from
>> now need to recruit Mac developers to help, or at least get together and
>> buy a Mac for falktx to use.
>>
>>
> If mac users wants to help, they can do so. The repository seems to
> contain everything that's needed. There's both xcode files, and
> support for darwin in the wscript file.

If Mac users were able to work with XCode files and Darwin support,
they'd be using Linux instead.

MacOSX and Windows are operating systems mainly for terminal users, with
"terminal" being an adjective rather than a noun.  They form a caste
separate from "programmers" and it is the latters' duty to serve the
formers' needs: that's what they are paid for.

Except that with free software, they rarely are getting paid.  On
systems like GNU/Linux the dearth of pay for free software is not
different, but free software is much more common.  As a result, the
social norms around expectations and programming tasks are more
favorable to sticking with a community as a free software programmer.

> If needed, it shouldn't be much work to create new jack releases.

Maybe take a look at GUB <http://www.lilypond.org/gub> ?  Very few of
the active developers of LilyPond have a clue about how it works (and
when it breaks every few years, it tends to be months out of order), but
it does provide binary installers for LilyPond on a number of different
platforms for every single release.  Automatically.  Using humongous
amounts of CPU time (I think first release still takes days when
starting from scratch, but afterwards it's about 6 hours per release on
an 8-processor machine.  To be fair, most of it is compiling the
documentation), but that's more affordable than human time.

Basically, as long as things work, binary installers for Windows and
MacOSX just fall out as part of the release process.

--
David Kastrup
_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Stefan Hellkvist
In reply to this post by Kjetil Matheussen-2


Oh, and go here to find binaries and sources:
0.92_b3 is the same as 1.9.12, not 1.9.10.


Yes, this is one of the versions I tried. 

What I am trying to do is to use a tool jltcdump which is part of ltc-tools (brew install ltc-tools) - a tool for reading so called linear timecodes (smtpe) encoded in audio. 

Part of my problems is to begin with the two versions of jack - Jack1 and Jack2 - which seems to both exist and both be “stable”. The binary above - 0.92_b3 seems to be of the Jack2 kind if I am not mistaken. When I install that version it (JackPilot) starts fine but I don’t seem to be able to re-route the default audio device in System preferences to use JackRouter. JackRouter shows up in System preferences but there is nothing that indicates that any app that uses audio (such as iTunes) actually connects. I was hoping for functionality as in the Youtube tutorial from 2013 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhrJ9rTMcBU - where different audio clients show up in the routes of JackPilot but this is not repeatable for me as it was back in 2013 at least. 

Also, when I build and run ltc-tools with the above release I get some errors like these: 
$ ./jltcdump
unknown option character l
connect(2) call to jackdmp 1.9.11/jack-502/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)


It seems like there is a call to “jackdmp” with some “unknown option character l”, so there seems to be some incompatibility with ltc-tools and this version of libjack (at least that is my guess). 


So then I instead try and install jack with “brew install jack” and I install a ltc-tools (brew install ltc-tools) which depend on this version of jack (which I guess is Jack1 ?). I then start jackd manually with jackd -d coreaudio and it starts. But with this setting there is nothing showing up at all in audio System Preferences. And I also get these errors "could not handle external client request” when a client accesses. The jltcdump program in this case seems to think that it has connected to the call to jackdmp seems to work with this version of jack. But it does not seem to receive any audio and jack d shows errors like "could not handle external client request” which makes me suspicious that there is some issue. So then I search for this error and find these GitHub discussions: https://github.com/Qix-/CaptainJack/issues/3 https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/issues/305

…which, together with my own experiences and confusions, made me to believe that jack is broken on OSX. Then others here say that it is indeed working…which make me even more confused. But perhaps it is different use cases that we are talking about and jack on MacOS might still support some of them but perhaps not all. 

I also tried to use PortAudio (https://github.com/gordonklaus/portaudio) to do other types of audio processing, but this one also depends on jack and I got similar faults. So to me it seems like there are quite a few audio tools (don’t know how much they are used on MacOS though) that depend on jack and these tools have at least at some point been working on MacOS but that, at least to me, it seems like jack has fallen behind on MacOS which brings with it these other tool-chains. Not complaining at all. Just wanted to know if someone else was feeling the same pain - and it seems, as I said, that some things are working for some people. 

/Stefan

 


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Neil C Smith-2
In reply to this post by David Kastrup


On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 at 22:16 David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
If Mac users were able to work with XCode files and Darwin support,
they'd be using Linux instead. ...  MacOSX and Windows are operating systems mainly for terminal users, with
"terminal" being an adjective rather than a noun.

<snip> ... *really* not helpful!


Maybe take a look at GUB <http://www.lilypond.org/gub> ?

While I have access to a Mac Mini for testing / building purposes, I wonder whether Travis CI might also be an option worth looking at?

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Praxis LIVE - hybrid visual IDE for creative coding - www.praxislive.org

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Stefan Hellkvist
In reply to this post by Kjetil Matheussen-2


Radium only has a Jack backend. If jack stops working on MacOS I will
certainly look into it, but I haven't noticed jack not working on any version
of MacOS (including high sierra), and I haven't heard any user compaining
about Jack not working on OSX before now.

Stefan, can you try to install Jack included with Radium instead of using brew?


I tried this version. It seems to be the same as on the jack…org/download page, right? It seems to work as far as your use case is concerned (started your radium and it seems to connect to that jack server). The ltc-tools (with jltcdump as I mentioned in another mail in this thread). Does not seem to be compatible with this version of jack though. I get the same “failed to connect errors” as before. 

$ jltcdump
unknown option character l
connect(2) call to jackdmp 1.9.11/jack-502/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)

So, it seems like Jack2 works in some ways (as in your use case) but perhaps that the tools that link to its dynamic libraries are not always fully compatible. Or that the programming interface between jack1 and jack2 has changed over time, I don’t know. 

/Stefan


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MacOS support

Stéphane Letz
In reply to this post by Stefan Hellkvist

> Le 2 févr. 2018 à 10:51, Stefan Hellkvist <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>>
>>
>> Oh, and go here to find binaries and sources:
>>  http://www.jackaudio.org/downloads/
>> 0.92_b3 is the same as 1.9.12, not 1.9.10.
>
>
> Yes, this is one of the versions I tried.
>
> What I am trying to do is to use a tool jltcdump which is part of ltc-tools (brew install ltc-tools) - a tool for reading so called linear timecodes (smtpe) encoded in audio.
>
> Part of my problems is to begin with the two versions of jack - Jack1 and Jack2 - which seems to both exist and both be “stable”. The binary above - 0.92_b3 seems to be of the Jack2 kind if I am not mistaken. When I install that version it (JackPilot) starts fine but I don’t seem to be able to re-route the default audio device in System preferences to use JackRouter. JackRouter shows up in System preferences but there is nothing that indicates that any app that uses audio (such as iTunes) actually connects. I was hoping for functionality as in the Youtube tutorial from 2013 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhrJ9rTMcBU - where different audio clients show up in the routes of JackPilot but this is not repeatable for me as it was back in 2013 at least.
>
> Also, when I build and run ltc-tools with the above release I get some errors like these:
> $ ./jltcdump
> unknown option character l
> connect(2) call to jackdmp 1.9.11/jack-502/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
>
>
> It seems like there is a call to “jackdmp” with some “unknown option character l”, so there seems to be some incompatibility with ltc-tools and this version of libjack (at least that is my guess).
>
>
> So then I instead try and install jack with “brew install jack” and I install a ltc-tools (brew install ltc-tools) which depend on this version of jack (which I guess is Jack1 ?). I then start jackd manually with jackd -d coreaudio and it starts. But with this setting there is nothing showing up at all in audio System Preferences. And I also get these errors "could not handle external client request” when a client accesses. The jltcdump program in this case seems to think that it has connected to the call to jackdmp seems to work with this version of jack. But it does not seem to receive any audio and jack d shows errors like "could not handle external client request” which makes me suspicious that there is some issue. So then I search for this error and find these GitHub discussions: https://github.com/Qix-/CaptainJack/issues/3 https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/issues/305
>
> …which, together with my own experiences and confusions, made me to believe that jack is broken on OSX. Then others here say that it is indeed working…which make me even more confused. But perhaps it is different use cases that we are talking about and jack on MacOS might still support some of them but perhaps not all.
>
> I also tried to use PortAudio (https://github.com/gordonklaus/portaudio) to do other types of audio processing, but this one also depends on jack and I got similar faults. So to me it seems like there are quite a few audio tools (don’t know how much they are used on MacOS though) that depend on jack and these tools have at least at some point been working on MacOS but that, at least to me, it seems like jack has fallen behind on MacOS which brings with it these other tool-chains. Not complaining at all. Just wanted to know if someone else was feeling the same pain - and it seems, as I said, that some things are working for some people.
>
> /Stefan
>

Let me explain once again, and hopefully the last one ((-;

- we (at Grame) did a port of JACK1 C code base back in 2004-2005. This was actually more a prof of concept since we had to use very low-level mach specific primitives to make it work on OSX.

- at the same time we also developed this JackRouter JACK<==>CoreAudio bridge, a user-land audio device that allows any CoreAudio application to become a JACK client. We packaged JACK1 + JackRouter in the early version of the JackOSX tool.

- we started the  « rewrite JACK code base in C++, and work on the multi-processor model in 2005, on OS X first. This work was presented at LAC 2005. Port of this new code base on Linux was done later, then Windows starting in 2006.

- since C++ JACK code base was cleaner (my personal point of view of course..), more portable, and much more stable on OSX… we decide to put it in next versions of JackOSX tool.  This C++ code base became JACK2 at some point.

- at some point  (I don’t know exactly when) macports packagers decided, without consulting the JACK community at all... to package JACK1 in macport. This was actually a very poor idea. For years people could either install JACK1 from macport, or install everything (that is tools for users + all the stuff needed for developers...) using JackOSX. This was the recipe for all kind of hairy problems...

- JackRouter could be used by any CoreAudio application and also *be selected as the audio default device* in the OS X system (so to be used be applications like iTunes or Quicktime) up to OS X 10.8 (or 10.9, not sure anymore..). This « JackRouter as the default audio device »  broke at that time, for several technical reasons. One is that Apple decided to progressively raise their security model (sandbox model...whatever), and second was that the JackRouter driver model become obsolete. It would have to be entirely rewritten with the new recommended CoreAudio user-land driver model. I never had time to really estimate if the new model could 1) fit with JACK server/client model and all the needs in low-level OS primitives like sockets, shared memory, process synchronization.. 2) could really solve the « JackRouter use when selected as the audio default device » issue.

- I had to solve a specific issue in 10.10 (I think ?) when mach semaphore primitive could not be used anymore, and we have to switch to Posix Semaphore. After this change JACK2 continued to work up to 10.13 High Sierra, but without this «  JackRouter as the audio default device » . This last development is now in JackOSX 0.92_b3.

- we at Grame dropped the JACK project entirely. I think that having a new really usable JACK on OS X implementation is a bit or dedicated work…In the meantime we can hope that JackOSX 0.92_b3 will stay alive a bit longer.

Stéphane




_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
12