[Jack-Devel] Plan for new Jack 2 release?

[Jack-Devel] Plan for new Jack 2 release?

Christopher Arndt
Hi there,

before I go and open a ticket in Jack 2's Github issue tracker,
requesting a new release, I thought I'd ask whether this is already in
the making and ready in the short term?

IMHO the metadata support should be made available to Jack 2 users as
soon as possible, so developers can rely on it being available with a
broader user base.

Also, the latest release is now almost 1 1/2 years old.

Cheers, Chris

Am 22.05.19 um 21:58 schrieb Ethan Funk:
> Metadata support? Wow... I really want that for my application. That's a
> huge problem solver. Where can I find proposed API info?

The metadata API has been in existence for a couple of years already in
JACK 1:

http://jackaudio.org/api/group__Metadata.html

But unfortunately not many people know about it (I only was made aware
of it a couple of months ago), maybe in part because the only
non-technical description of it was lost, when the jackaudio.org web
site was compromised and then completely replaced a few years ago. I
restored a page about the topic from the old web site to the curernt
Github wiki a few weeks ago:

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/JACK-Metadata-API

Chris

Re: Plan for new Jack 2 release?

Thomas Brand
On 2019-05-22 21:55, Christopher Arndt wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> before I go and open a ticket in Jack 2's Github issue tracker,
> requesting a new release, I thought I'd ask whether this is already in
> the making and ready in the short term?
>
> IMHO the metadata support should be made available to Jack 2 users as
> soon as possible, so developers can rely on it being available with a
> broader user base.
>
> Also, the latest release is now almost 1 1/2 years old.

Hi Chris,
a release is due I think everybody knows that however only a few can
make it happen. Personally I'd love to see a more pro-active project
lead. It's a constraint given by available time most probably.
Greetings
Thomas

Re: Plan for new Jack 2 release?

Filipe Coelho
On 27.05.2019 19:45, Thomas Brand wrote:

> On 2019-05-22 21:55, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> before I go and open a ticket in Jack 2's Github issue tracker,
>> requesting a new release, I thought I'd ask whether this is already in
>> the making and ready in the short term?
>>
>> IMHO the metadata support should be made available to Jack 2 users as
>> soon as possible, so developers can rely on it being available with a
>> broader user base.
>>
>> Also, the latest release is now almost 1 1/2 years old.
>>

> Hi Chris,
> a release is due I think everybody knows that however only a few can
> make it happen. Personally I'd love to see a more pro-active project
> lead. It's a constraint given by available time most probably.

You are correct.
I (being the current jack maintainer) am right now in-between jobs, and
then moving to another country.
The beginning of the year had some complications of their own as well...

There were some changes made in jack2 git repo to make development
better (the integration of a develop branch for one).
I will write something about this later on.

Anyway, if you want to see a release coming faster, please help by
testing the new jack meta-data api.
It is the only remaining blocker for this release.
See
https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3Av1.9.13

I do not want to make a release with a new feature, that in the ends
turns out to have a nasty bug or something.
This will end up being shipped in "stable" distributions and be frozen
in there for a very long time...

Hopefully now with both jack1 and jack2 having meta-data, more
developers will make use of it.
For more information about meta-data usage in jack, see
https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/JACK-Metadata-API