[Jack-Devel] Processing multichannel inputs in JACK

[Jack-Devel] Processing multichannel inputs in JACK

benravin
Hi,

I have a requirement to process and analyze more than 5 audio stereo inputs simultaneously capture and analyze using a client program.
How it can be achieved with JACK.

-ben

Re: Processing multichannel inputs in JACK

David Kastrup
Benny Alexandar <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a requirement to process and analyze more than 5 audio stereo
> inputs simultaneously capture and analyze using a client program.
> How it can be achieved with JACK.

You use a sound interface with more than 5 audio stereo inputs.  Nothing
special is required to work with those, and there is a whole slew of
them.  Personally, I am using a Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer with Firewire
card that has 8 mono and 4 stereo channels and delivers 18 channels (2
additional channels for the Main Mix).  But of course there are other
devices delivering similar functionality.

It's also common to have sound interfaces with 8 analog inputs of their
own able to synchronize on an ADAT source where you employ another
8-channel A/D converter in order to get 16 (or 24 channels) of result.

For more comparable results, there are interfaces like an RME Digiface
which accept several A/D converters (which you need to set up such that
they synchronize to a common clock).

Of course, the solutions with additional A/D converters are not exactly
cheap, so a multichannel mixer with computer interface, though quite
bulky, might be the most affordable option once you cross the "8 analog
inputs" threshold: few dedicated sound interfaces have more than that.

--
David Kastrup

Re: Processing multichannel inputs in JACK

benravin
Hi David,

I saw M-Audio  M-Track has 8 channel products,
https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-M-Track-Eight-8-Channel-High-Resolution/dp/B0010SZIQM/ref=sr_1_3/143-0161247-1947411?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1521291550&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_location_browse-bin%3A2711220011

With this If I capture all audio signals, do I need to do any clock synchronization ?  assuming all will be captured using single clock.

-ben

Benny Alexandar <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a requirement to process and analyze more than 5 audio stereo
> inputs simultaneously capture and analyze using a client program.
> How it can be achieved with JACK.

You use a sound interface with more than 5 audio stereo inputs.  Nothing
special is required to work with those, and there is a whole slew of
them.  Personally, I am using a Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer with Firewire
card that has 8 mono and 4 stereo channels and delivers 18 channels (2
additional channels for the Main Mix).  But of course there are other
devices delivering similar functionality.

It's also common to have sound interfaces with 8 analog inputs of their
own able to synchronize on an ADAT source where you employ another
8-channel A/D converter in order to get 16 (or 24 channels) of result.

For more comparable results, there are interfaces like an RME Digiface
which accept several A/D converters (which you need to set up such that
they synchronize to a common clock).

Of course, the solutions with additional A/D converters are not exactly
cheap, so a multichannel mixer with computer interface, though quite
bulky, might be the most affordable option once you cross the "8 analog
inputs" threshold: few dedicated sound interfaces have more than that.

--
David Kastrup

Re: Processing multichannel inputs in JACK

David Kastrup
Benny Alexandar <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi David,

>> Benny Alexandar <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> I have a requirement to process and analyze more than 5 audio stereo
>>> inputs simultaneously capture and analyze using a client program.
>>> How it can be achieved with JACK.
>>
>> You use a sound interface with more than 5 audio stereo inputs.

[...]

> I saw M-Audio  M-Track has 8 channel products,
> https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-M-Track-Eight-8-Channel-High-Resolution/dp/B0010SZIQM/ref=sr_1_3/143-0161247-1947411?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1521291550&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_location_browse-bin%3A2711220011
> Amazon.com: M-Audio M-Track Eight | 8-Channel High
> ...<https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-M-Track-Eight-8-Channel-High-Resolution/dp/B0010SZIQM/ref=sr_1_3/143-0161247-1947411?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1521291550&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_location_browse-bin%3A2711220011>
> Buy M-Audio M-Track Eight | 8-Channel High-Resolution USB 2.0 Audio
> Interface with Octane Preamp (24-bit/96 kHz): Digital Voice Recorders
> - Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY ...
> www.amazon.com
>

> With this If I capture all audio signals, do I need to do any clock
> synchronization ?  assuming all will be captured using single clock.

You wrote "more than 5 audio stereo inputs".  8-channel devices are good
for just 4 audio stereo inputs, so you need to be able to combine
several of them (or combine them with other A/D devices), requiring
clock synchronization of some manner.

--
David Kastrup

Re: Processing multichannel inputs in JACK

Ralf Mardorf
In that price range consider to get a a Focus­rite Scar­lett 18i20 or a
Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL + a Behringer ADA8200 or similar + a BNC Angle
T Connection 75 Ohm + a BNC Resistor 75 Ohms + a BNC Cable 75 Ohms + 2
optical cables. You would get 8 prosumer quality stereo IOs without sync
issues.

On Sat, 2018-03-17 at 16:10 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> In that price range consider to get a a Focus­rite Scar­lett 18i20 or a
> Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL + a Behringer ADA8200 or similar + a BNC Angle
> T Connection 75 Ohm + a BNC Resistor 75 Ohms + a BNC Cable 75 Ohms + 2
> optical cables. You would get 8 prosumer quality stereo IOs without sync
> issues.

Oops, I'm mistaken, for audio recordings you would get 8 stereo IOs
without noticeable sync issues, "to process and analyze" you might get 4
stereo IOs without sync issues + additional 4 IOs without sync issues,
but between the first 4 pairs and the second 4 pairs, there might be a
latency difference.