[Jack-Devel] Question regarding the Jack API and compiling Errors

[Jack-Devel] Question regarding the Jack API and compiling Errors

DaemoniumAer
Could someone please have a look at  this
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48336952/fail-to-compile-source-with-jack-api>
? I have been trying to solve this for far too long hoping I could figure it
out by myself. I really want to start using JACK in my project though and I
am getting kind of frustrated. Maybe someone could tell me what they have
running on their machine? Distro/Compiler/Compiling Arguments/Any other
Programs/...
Every help is appreciated :) If you feel like something doesn't add up, I am
happy to retry everything.
Kind regards,
Ariel

--
Sent from: http://jack-audio.10948.n7.nabble.com/Jackit-f3.html

Re: Question regarding the Jack API and compiling Errors

Yuri Klopovsky
Should have replied to all. My bad.

Hello.

I'm running Arch with JACK1.
Building programs works fine.

I've looked at the headers on my system.
It seems that the control.h files differ between JACK1 & JACK2.
The documentation on jackaudio.org is consistent with JACK1.
Don't know what that's all about.

To reiterate.
Try pacman -S jack .
This will force you to remove jack2 and will probably break some packages though =/

Also I'm now interested myself what's the deal with inconsistent headers.

Could someone please have a look at  this
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48336952/fail-to-compile-source-with-jack-api>
? I have been trying to solve this for far too long hoping I could figure it
out by myself. I really want to start using JACK in my project though and I
am getting kind of frustrated. Maybe someone could tell me what they have
running on their machine? Distro/Compiler/Compiling Arguments/Any other
Programs/...
Every help is appreciated :) If you feel like something doesn't add up, I am
happy to retry everything.
Kind regards,
Ariel

--
Sent from: http://jack-audio.10948.n7.nabble.com/Jackit-f3.html

Re: Question regarding the Jack API and compiling Errors

Hanspeter Portner-2
On 21.01.2018 01:39, DaemoniumAer wrote:
> Could someone please have a look at  this
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48336952/fail-to-compile-source-with-jack-api>
> ? I have been trying to solve this for far too long hoping I could figure it
> out by myself. I really want to start using JACK in my project though and I
> am getting kind of frustrated. Maybe someone could tell me what they have
> running on their machine? Distro/Compiler/Compiling Arguments/Any other
> Programs/...
> Every help is appreciated :) If you feel like something doesn't add up, I am
> happy to retry everything.

You seem to be wanting to write a JACK client, right?

The "jack/control.h" header is meant for implementing JACK server
control utilities. Those are specific to the JACK implementation you're
running on your system and thus differ between JACK1 and JACK2.

That header is not menat to be included by JACK client applications.

So, don't include that header and don't use any functions in it for
writing a JACK client. Include the "jack/jack.h" header instead, that's
the one with all the API calls for JACK clients.

Best start off with the simple_client [1] to get a minmal working example.

[1]
https://github.com/jackaudio/example-clients/blob/7fa089095c81e81dacd2554ae3184acc7f2d58ed/simple_client.c

Re: Question regarding the Jack API and compiling Errors

DaemoniumAer
Yuri Klopovsky wrote
> Try pacman -S jack .
> This will force you to remove jack2 and will probably break some packages
> though =/
>
> Also I'm now interested myself what's the deal with inconsistent headers.

Thanks for your help. I never really considered going back to jack1 since I
really like C++ and would like to contribute to the project down the road.
Right now, I am more of a beginner and wouldn't be too much help though. So
I get that jack/control.h is not available to jack2? Alright, I guess I will
have to work around that then. Maybe we should seperate the docs between
jack1 and jack2?
Ariel

--
Sent from: http://jack-audio.10948.n7.nabble.com/Jackit-f3.html

Re: Question regarding the Jack API and compiling Errors

DaemoniumAer
Hanspeter Portner-2 wrote

> You seem to be wanting to write a JACK client, right?
>
> The "jack/control.h" header is meant for implementing JACK server
> control utilities. Those are specific to the JACK implementation you're
> running on your system and thus differ between JACK1 and JACK2.
>
> That header is not menat to be included by JACK client applications.
>
> So, don't include that header and don't use any functions in it for
> writing a JACK client. Include the "jack/jack.h" header instead, that's
> the one with all the API calls for JACK clients.

Actually I am writing a server program which should be able to start and
stop a jack server when needed to save resources. Everything basically
revolves around NetJack2 and connecting different Slaves. I just thought it
would be nice to include the function to start a server if the API supports
it. I guess that was the reason QJackCtl used QProcess and started Jack as a
program in its program instead of trying what I did. So some functions work
with Jack2 in jack/control.h? Which ones? And as I suggested in another
reply, maybe we should mention that in the API somewhere, or maybe I missed
it and you could point me to it?

Hanspeter Portner-2 wrote
> Best start off with the simple_client [1] to get a minmal working example.

I got that working thankfully! I will work around it for now, thank you
anyways! Finally I can stop doubting my skills and start working on that
project of mine...

--
Sent from: http://jack-audio.10948.n7.nabble.com/Jackit-f3.html

Re: Question regarding the Jack API and compiling Errors

DaemoniumAer
Alright, I just figured it out by myself. Didn't know you had to include an
extra libary to use jack/control.h
g++ -o PRG PRG.cpp -jack -ljackserver
Maybe I will start updating some of the Docs, because this was totally
unnecessary...
-Ariel

--
Sent from: http://jack-audio.10948.n7.nabble.com/Jackit-f3.html

Re: Question regarding the Jack API and compiling Errors

benravin
I was able to build jack2 latest version 1.9.12,
I build the example_client.c app using the below cmdline and it built successfully.

gcc ./simple_client.c -o simple_client -ljack

-ben