[Jack-Devel] Test 1,2

Thomas Brand

Can we get a non-RC release for X-Mas, please?

Re: Test 1,2

Filipe Coelho
On 10.12.2017 12:24, Thomas Brand wrote:
> Can we get a non-RC release for X-Mas, please?

I don't see why not :)

I was trying to get windows builds working, but got sidetracked with
other stuff.
The release notes are already done, I will do this soon.

Re: Test 1,2

Thomas Brand
On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:03, Filipe Coelho wrote:

> On 10.12.2017 12:24, Thomas Brand wrote:
>
>> Can we get a non-RC release for X-Mas, please?
>>

> I don't see why not :)
>

> I was trying to get windows builds working, but got sidetracked with
> other stuff. The release notes are already done, I will do this soon.

+1 for windows build! so that we have the same shiny version on linux and
windows. I hope that non-critical pull-requests will find the way into the
release.

Cheers
Thomas

Re: Test 1,2

Filipe Coelho
On 10.12.2017 14:09, Thomas Brand wrote:

> On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:03, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>> On 10.12.2017 12:24, Thomas Brand wrote:
>>
>>> Can we get a non-RC release for X-Mas, please?
>>>
>> I don't see why not :)
>>

>> I was trying to get windows builds working, but got sidetracked with
>> other stuff. The release notes are already done, I will do this soon.
>>
> +1 for windows build! so that we have the same shiny version on linux and
> windows. I hope that non-critical pull-requests will find the way into the
> release.

I think I was not clear enough.

I was not able to get windows builds. I don't even got to update my
mingw build.
1.9.12 is kinda tagged already (just not officially).
So 1.9.12 *will not have windows or macOS builds*.

Maybe next time, but focus right now goes on the source tarball for the
linux distros.

Re: Test 1,2

Thomas Brand
On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:11, Filipe Coelho wrote:

> On 10.12.2017 14:09, Thomas Brand wrote:

>>> I don't see why not :)
>>>

>>> I was trying to get windows builds working, but got sidetracked with
>>> other stuff. The release notes are already done, I will do this soon.
>>>
>> +1 for windows build! so that we have the same shiny version on linux
>> and windows. I hope that non-critical pull-requests will find the way
>> into the release.
>
> I think I was not clear enough.
>

> I was not able to get windows builds. I don't even got to update my
> mingw build. 1.9.12 is kinda tagged already (just not officially).
> So 1.9.12 *will not have windows or macOS builds*.

hm, ok ..
I'm speculating that
"Kjetil Matheussen" <[hidden email]>
could help you there. It would make most sense to have at least one other
supported platform so that it's "multi"-platform. For an audio abstraction
layer like JACK it's even more important since multi-platform makes the
abstraction complete.
Cheers

> Maybe next time, but focus right now goes on the source tarball for the
> linux distros.

Re: Test 1,2

Filipe Coelho
On 10.12.2017 14:19, Thomas Brand wrote:

> On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:11, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>> I think I was not clear enough.
>>

>> I was not able to get windows builds. I don't even got to update my
>> mingw build. 1.9.12 is kinda tagged already (just not officially).
>> So 1.9.12 *will not have windows or macOS builds*.
>>
> hm, ok ..
> I'm speculating that
> "Kjetil Matheussen" <[hidden email]>
> could help you there. It would make most sense to have at least one other
> supported platform so that it's "multi"-platform. For an audio abstraction
> layer like JACK it's even more important since multi-platform makes the
> abstraction complete.
> Cheers

True, but I don't agree with some of the ideas Kjetil proposed regarding
windows builds.
I do not want to do a refactoring of jack2 code.

So likely I will end up doing the windows builds myself.
Something for next year.

Re: Test 1,2

Thomas Brand
On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:24, Filipe Coelho wrote:

> On 10.12.2017 14:19, Thomas Brand wrote:
>
>> On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:11, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>>
>>> I think I was not clear enough.
>>>

>>> I was not able to get windows builds. I don't even got to update my
>>> mingw build. 1.9.12 is kinda tagged already (just not officially). So
>>> 1.9.12 *will not have windows or macOS builds*.
>>>

>> hm, ok .. I'm speculating that
>> "Kjetil Matheussen" <[hidden email]>
>> could help you there. It would make most sense to have at least one
>> other supported platform so that it's "multi"-platform. For an audio
>> abstraction layer like JACK it's even more important since
>> multi-platform makes the abstraction complete. Cheers
>>

> True, but I don't agree with some of the ideas Kjetil proposed regarding
> windows builds. I do not want to do a refactoring of jack2 code.
>

> So likely I will end up doing the windows builds myself.
> Something for next year.

I don't know what Kjetil proposed but so or so it should be possible in
the future to use sort of an official build tool chain for windows (and
mac, probably less cumbersome since it's ~POSIX) so that anyone interested
can build.
2 cent

Re: Test 1,2

Filipe Coelho
On 10.12.2017 14:28, Thomas Brand wrote:

> On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:24, Filipe Coelho wrote:

>>> hm, ok .. I'm speculating that
>>> "Kjetil Matheussen" <[hidden email]>
>>> could help you there. It would make most sense to have at least one
>>> other supported platform so that it's "multi"-platform. For an audio
>>> abstraction layer like JACK it's even more important since
>>> multi-platform makes the abstraction complete. Cheers
>>>
>> True, but I don't agree with some of the ideas Kjetil proposed regarding
>> windows builds. I do not want to do a refactoring of jack2 code.
>>

>> So likely I will end up doing the windows builds myself.
>> Something for next year.
>>

> I don't know what Kjetil proposed but so or so it should be possible in
> the future to use sort of an official build tool chain for windows (and
> mac, probably less cumbersome since it's ~POSIX) so that anyone interested
> can build.
> 2 cent

Yes, I agree completely.
And this is how I plan to do these builds.
No commercial IDEs to build stuff (Visual Studio or XCode), but use the
provided waf system instead.
There were quite a few commits (coming from pull requests) regarding
this, but I haven't tested them too much.

Re: Test 1,2

Kjetil Matheussen-2

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Thomas Brand <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:11, Filipe Coelho wrote:
> On 10.12.2017 14:09, Thomas Brand wrote:

>>> I don't see why not :)
>>>

>>> I was trying to get windows builds working, but got sidetracked with
>>> other stuff. The release notes are already done, I will do this soon.
>>>
>> +1 for windows build! so that we have the same shiny version on linux
>> and windows. I hope that non-critical pull-requests will find the way
>> into the release.
>
> I think I was not clear enough.
>

> I was not able to get windows builds. I don't even got to update my
> mingw build. 1.9.12 is kinda tagged already (just not officially).
> So 1.9.12 *will not have windows or macOS builds*.

hm, ok ..
I'm speculating that
"Kjetil Matheussen" <[hidden email]>
could help you there. It would make most sense to have at least one other
supported platform so that it's "multi"-platform. For an audio abstraction
layer like JACK it's even more important since multi-platform makes the
abstraction complete.
Cheers

The windows versions of Radium has included a custom version of jack 1.9.12 since october. If you want to manually upgrade jack on your windows machine, it might work just to replace the old jack files with the one included in Radium. As I've expressed before, the installer should be removed, and jack should be installed locally for all programs wanting to use it. This will not break any programs. Radium partly does this already. Radium first checks if Jack is installed globally, and if not, it uses the version of jack installed in the "jack_local" directory. But for this to work properly with more than one client, jack needs to inform where the currently used libraries are placed so that different clients aren't using different versions of the jack libraries.

Re: Test 1,2

Thomas Brand
On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:31, Filipe Coelho wrote:

> On 10.12.2017 14:28, Thomas Brand wrote:

>>> True, but I don't agree with some of the ideas Kjetil proposed
>>> regarding windows builds. I do not want to do a refactoring of jack2
>>> code.
>>>

>>> So likely I will end up doing the windows builds myself.
>>> Something for next year.
>>>

>> I don't know what Kjetil proposed but so or so it should be possible in
>>  the future to use sort of an official build tool chain for windows
>> (and
>> mac, probably less cumbersome since it's ~POSIX) so that anyone
>> interested can build. 2 cent
>>

> Yes, I agree completely.
> And this is how I plan to do these builds.
> No commercial IDEs to build stuff (Visual Studio or XCode), but use the
> provided waf system instead. There were quite a few commits (coming from
> pull requests) regarding this, but I haven't tested them too much.

nice..
as an easy vision to understand, when calling jackaudio.org it'd be
inviting to see trustful direct download links for all major platforms,
same version :)
enjoy the weekend

Re: Test 1,2

Thomas Brand
On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:33, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Thomas Brand <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think I was not clear enough.
>>>

>>> I was not able to get windows builds. I don't even got to update my
>>> mingw build. 1.9.12 is kinda tagged already (just not officially). So
>>> 1.9.12 *will not have windows or macOS builds*.
>>>

>> hm, ok .. I'm speculating that
>> "Kjetil Matheussen" <[hidden email]>
>> could help you there. It would make most sense to have at least one
>> other supported platform so that it's "multi"-platform. For an audio
>> abstraction layer like JACK it's even more important since
>> multi-platform makes the abstraction complete. Cheers
>>

> The windows versions of Radium has included a custom version of jack
> 1.9.12
> since october. If you want to manually upgrade jack on your windows
> machine, it might work just to replace the old jack files with the one
> included in Radium. As I've expressed before, the installer should be
> removed, and jack should be installed locally for all programs wanting to
>  use it. This will not break any programs. Radium partly does this
> already. Radium first checks if Jack is installed globally, and if not, it
> uses the version of jack installed in the "jack_local" directory. But for
> this to work properly with more than one client, jack needs to inform
> where the currently used libraries are placed so that different clients
> aren't using different versions of the jack libraries.

This sound sort of crazy, but why not just wrap an nsis installer around
your 1.9.12 build?

Re: Test 1,2

Kjetil Matheussen-2

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> wrote:

This will not break any programs.

Not sure what I was thinking here. It might not be necessary to break programs, i.e. they have to be recompiled for the new jack, but considering how few programs using jack on windows, it's probably not very important to care about backwards compatibility.

Re: Test 1,2

Kjetil Matheussen-2

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Thomas Brand <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:33, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Thomas Brand <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think I was not clear enough.
>>>

>>> I was not able to get windows builds. I don't even got to update my
>>> mingw build. 1.9.12 is kinda tagged already (just not officially). So
>>> 1.9.12 *will not have windows or macOS builds*.
>>>

>> hm, ok .. I'm speculating that
>> "Kjetil Matheussen" <[hidden email]>
>> could help you there. It would make most sense to have at least one
>> other supported platform so that it's "multi"-platform. For an audio
>> abstraction layer like JACK it's even more important since
>> multi-platform makes the abstraction complete. Cheers
>>

> The windows versions of Radium has included a custom version of jack
> 1.9.12
> since october. If you want to manually upgrade jack on your windows
> machine, it might work just to replace the old jack files with the one
> included in Radium. As I've expressed before, the installer should be
> removed, and jack should be installed locally for all programs wanting to
>  use it. This will not break any programs. Radium partly does this
> already. Radium first checks if Jack is installed globally, and if not, it
> uses the version of jack installed in the "jack_local" directory. But for
> this to work properly with more than one client, jack needs to inform
> where the currently used libraries are placed so that different clients
> aren't using different versions of the jack libraries.

This sound sort of crazy, but why not just wrap an nsis installer around
your 1.9.12 build?

If you know how, please do. But it's the wrong way forward. What's the advantage of installing jack globally? If all jack programs provide jack themselves, the user can easily choose which version of jack to run, just by starting qjackctl (or a similar program) compiled for the version of jack you want to use.

Re: Test 1,2

Thomas Brand
On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:42, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Thomas Brand <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The windows versions of Radium has included a custom version of jack
>>> 1.9.12
>>> since october. If you want to manually upgrade jack on your windows
>>> machine, it might work just to replace the old jack files with the
>>> one included in Radium. As I've expressed before, the installer should
>>> be removed, and jack should be installed locally for all programs
>>> wanting to use it. This will not break any programs. Radium partly
>>> does this already. Radium first checks if Jack is installed globally,
>>> and if not,
>> it
>>> uses the version of jack installed in the "jack_local" directory. But
>>> for this to work properly with more than one client, jack needs to
>>> inform where the currently used libraries are placed so that different
>>> clients aren't using different versions of the jack libraries.
>>>
>> This sound sort of crazy, but why not just wrap an nsis installer
>> around your 1.9.12 build?
>>

>> If you know how, please do. But it's the wrong way forward. What's the
>>
> advantage of installing jack globally? If all jack programs provide jack
> themselves, the user can easily choose which version of jack to run, just
>  by starting qjackctl (or a similar program) compiled for the version of
> jack you want to use.

The JACK API didn't change much so it makes sense to have that server as a
system-wide library IMHO. Not sure about ABI. This won't prevent to
package it along with the application, but this should be looked at as a
special case.
I've done some stuff with nsis in the past, it's pretty straight forward.
I can provide the install script if needed at some point in time.
Greetings

Re: Test 1,2

Kjetil Matheussen-2
By the way, here is my Makefile for compiling cross-compiling jack for windows under mxe:

Just install mxe first, and then run Makefile -f Makefile.mingw.jack

Re: Test 1,2

Kjetil Matheussen-2

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Thomas Brand <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:42, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Thomas Brand <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The windows versions of Radium has included a custom version of jack
>>> 1.9.12
>>> since october. If you want to manually upgrade jack on your windows
>>> machine, it might work just to replace the old jack files with the
>>> one included in Radium. As I've expressed before, the installer should
>>> be removed, and jack should be installed locally for all programs
>>> wanting to use it. This will not break any programs. Radium partly
>>> does this already. Radium first checks if Jack is installed globally,
>>> and if not,
>> it
>>> uses the version of jack installed in the "jack_local" directory. But
>>> for this to work properly with more than one client, jack needs to
>>> inform where the currently used libraries are placed so that different
>>> clients aren't using different versions of the jack libraries.
>>>
>> This sound sort of crazy, but why not just wrap an nsis installer
>> around your 1.9.12 build?
>>

>> If you know how, please do. But it's the wrong way forward. What's the
>>
> advantage of installing jack globally? If all jack programs provide jack
> themselves, the user can easily choose which version of jack to run, just
>  by starting qjackctl (or a similar program) compiled for the version of
> jack you want to use.

The JACK API didn't change much so it makes sense to have that server as a
system-wide library IMHO. Not sure about ABI. This won't prevent to
package it along with the application, but this should be looked at as a
special case.
I've done some stuff with nsis in the past, it's pretty straight forward.
I can provide the install script if needed at some point in time.
Greetings

My point is that when the jack server is started, it writes the path to the jack libraries somewhere global, and removes it when it shuts down. This way all clients will use the same libraries.

Re: Test 1,2

Kjetil Matheussen-2

My point is that when the jack server is started, it writes the path to the jack libraries somewhere global, and removes it when it shuts down. This way all clients will use the same libraries.

And to clarify some more: The only difference for the user compared to the current situation, is that the user doesn't have to install jack. If the user wants to upgrade jack, the user only have to download the latest version of qjackctl (or similar software). Normal clients doesn't have to include the jack libraries, only programs that wants to start the server have to include the jack libraries.

Re: Test 1,2

Kjetil Matheussen-2

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> wrote:

My point is that when the jack server is started, it writes the path to the jack libraries somewhere global, and removes it when it shuts down. This way all clients will use the same libraries.

And to clarify some more: The only difference for the user compared to the current situation, is that the user doesn't have to install jack. If the user wants to upgrade jack, the user only have to download the latest version of qjackctl (or similar software). Normal clients doesn't have to include the jack libraries, only programs that wants to start the server have to include the jack libraries.

And of course, it should be like this for Linux and OSX as well. I'm mainly just proposing this as a way to work around the problem with the current installer in windows which (most probably) can't be cross-compiled.

Re: Test 1,2

Markus Seeber
On 12/10/2017 02:34 PM, Thomas Brand wrote:

> On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:31, Filipe Coelho wrote:

>>> I don't know what Kjetil proposed but so or so it should be possible in
>>>  the future to use sort of an official build tool chain for windows
>>> (and
>>> mac, probably less cumbersome since it's ~POSIX) so that anyone
>>> interested can build. 2 cent
>>>
>> Yes, I agree completely.
>> And this is how I plan to do these builds.
>> No commercial IDEs to build stuff (Visual Studio or XCode), but use the
>> provided waf system instead. There were quite a few commits (coming from
>> pull requests) regarding this, but I haven't tested them too much.
> nice..
> as an easy vision to understand, when calling jackaudio.org it'd be
> inviting to see trustful direct download links for all major platforms,
> same version :)
> enjoy the weekend
Just having the files hosted in a sensible place would be marvellous.
For example on the GitHub releases/tags, then linking to them would
be the trivial part.

Re: Test 1,2

Kjetil Matheussen-2

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sorry for replying to myself again. Just to avoid misunderstanding, although this is proposed as a workaround, it's also a far better solution the the current one. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, I would be interested in knowing why.