[Jack-Devel] Time for a separate jack-users list?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Jack-Devel] Time for a separate jack-users list?

John Rigg
A lot of the traffic on jack-devel lately has been
routine linux audio user questions, often concerning
problems that aren't anything to do with JACK. This
makes it difficult to follow actual JACK development
posts as they tend to get buried.

Would a separate jack-users list be a good idea?

John
_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Time for a separate jack-users list?

Chris Caudle
> Would a separate jack-users list be a good idea?

Possibly, but there are long periods of time with very low traffic on the
list, and traditionally a lot of the questions have been such that the
developers were some of the few people with expertise to answer.

My personal  opinion is that based on historical patterns, just
recommending some threads be moved to linux-audio-users would probably be
better than starting a separate mailing list which might end up with very
few people monitoring.

--
Chris Caudle


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Time for a separate jack-users list?

John Rigg
On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 10:41:01AM -0500, Chris Caudle wrote:

> > Would a separate jack-users list be a good idea?
>
> Possibly, but there are long periods of time with very low traffic on the
> list, and traditionally a lot of the questions have been such that the
> developers were some of the few people with expertise to answer.
>
> My personal  opinion is that based on historical patterns, just
> recommending some threads be moved to linux-audio-users would probably be
> better than starting a separate mailing list which might end up with very
> few people monitoring.

Fair points. The jackaudio.org web site does mention the
linux-audio-user list, but maybe it could be made clearer
there that LAU is more appropriate than jack-devel for
general user questions.

John
_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Time for a separate jack-users list?

Christopher Arndt
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 10:41:01AM -0500, Chris Caudle wrote:
>> My personal  opinion is that based on historical patterns, just
>> recommending some threads be moved to linux-audio-users would probably be
>> better

Agree.

And the example of linux-audio-users and linux-audio-dev shows that most
people aren't able to post their questions to the correct group there
either. ;-/

Am 09.08.19 um 18:02 schrieb John Rigg:
> The jackaudio.org web site does mention the
> linux-audio-user list, but maybe it could be made clearer
> there that LAU is more appropriate than jack-devel for
> general user questions.

The source of the jackaudio.org content is on Github, so it's easy to
make PR with a better wording:

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/pulls

I'm not sure who's responsible for merging it and updating the site
then, though.


Chris

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org

0x1E0D97B33A4E1F31.asc (13K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Time for a separate jack-users list?

Tim-2
In reply to this post by John Rigg
On 8/9/19 12:02 PM, John Rigg wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 10:41:01AM -0500, Chris Caudle wrote:
>>> Would a separate jack-users list be a good idea?
>>
>> Possibly, but there are long periods of time with very low traffic on the
>> list, and traditionally a lot of the questions have been such that the
>> developers were some of the few people with expertise to answer.

I've noticed things generally have been quiet these days here and
  on LAD, LAU. Wonder why.
But I am happy to see that actually there is much action on
  Jack github, much development and discussion happening still.

>> My personal  opinion is that based on historical patterns, just
>> recommending some threads be moved to linux-audio-users would probably be
>> better than starting a separate mailing list which might end up with very
>> few people monitoring.
>
> Fair points. The jackaudio.org web site does mention the
> linux-audio-user list, but maybe it could be made clearer
> there that LAU is more appropriate than jack-devel for
> general user questions.
>
> John

Although this is a Jack developer list, hopefully members do not mind
  occasional discussions about how others program for Jack (as I am
  engaged in ATM) with experts watching to correct something.

Tim.
_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org