[Jack-Devel] Will development on Jack for Windows be continuing ?

[Jack-Devel] Will development on Jack for Windows be continuing ?

Michael Z Freeman
Hi,

I've found Jack on Windows to be very good. But its quite limited with
only 4 channels. It's actually allowed me to setup, after many problems
with other methods, a way of having vinyl timecode control into Mixxx
through Jack with good latency (8.71ms, Mixxx recommended <10ms). I can
also route a single stereo channel from Reaper into Mixxx Aux input. The
setup runs very well and I've had no underuns or audio artefacts so far.
So I'm actually very impressed with what Jack can do on Windows but the
last release seems to have been in 2016 and I don't see any mention of
adding further audio channels beyond the already existing 4.

So are there plans for further releases ? Or maybe I'm missing any forked
versions for windows that may be out there?

Cheers and thanks for Jack !

Michael Z Freeman

Re: Will development on Jack for Windows be continuing ?

Chris Caudle
On Mon, April 30, 2018 2:41 pm, Michael Z Freeman wrote:
> But its quite limited with only 4 channels.

I thought that was configurable, but I can't find in the FAQ any
information on configuring port count.  I'm pretty sure there is a
configuration file or command line option you can change to have an
arbitrary number of ports.

--
Chris Caudle

Re: Will development on Jack for Windows be continuing ?

Fons Adriaensen-3
On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 03:38:33PM -0500, Chris Caudle wrote:

> On Mon, April 30, 2018 2:41 pm, Michael Z Freeman wrote:
> > But its quite limited with only 4 channels.
>
> I thought that was configurable, but I can't find in the FAQ any
> information on configuring port count.  I'm pretty sure there is a
> configuration file or command line option you can change to have an
> arbitrary number of ports.

Indeed, same as on Linux. At work I have a Windows machine running
Jack with RME's USB MADI interface, that's 64 in and 64 out.
There's a Windows version of qjackctl as well.

Ciao,

Re: Will development on Jack for Windows be continuing ?

Stéphane Letz
The port number is used by the JackRouter driver (Jack/ASIO bridge). It is configurable in a JackRouter.ini text file that is located somewhere (don’t remember the details)

Stéphane

On Tue, May 1, 2018 1:10 am, Stephane Letz wrote:
> (don't remember the details)

It seems that the details of Windows specific and OS X specific features
are not documented fully, or at least not collected together into an
easily accessible location.

I'm not sure how to fix the problem of matching incentives to interests
and capabilities for that.  Jack has been (I think) much more widely used
on linux than OS X or Windows, so the user base to find people willing to
contribute documentation, wiki updates, etc. is a lot smaller.

How important is cultivating the Windows and Mac user base for the health
of jack?  Should we care?  If we do care then how do we recruit some
caretakers for those platforms?  If we don't care, then should we start
marking those ports as only partially supported so users do not have
expectations that cannot be met?

--
Chris Caudle

Re: Will development on Jack for Windows be continuing ?

Kjetil Matheussen-2

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 3:27 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:

If we don't care, then should we start
marking those ports as only partially supported so users do not have
expectations that cannot be met?

We shouldn't create a problem that doesn't exist. If there are problems with
the windows or osx versions of Jack, they will be fixed. I will at least try to
fix them since Radium uses jack and I don't see any reason to ditch jack. The main reason there
hasn't been a new release for a while is because there hasn't been any reason
to create a new release. They work just fine.

On Tue, May 1, 2018 2:35 pm, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 3:27 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> If we don't care, then should we start
>> marking those ports as only partially supported so users do not have
>> expectations that cannot be met?
>>

> We shouldn't create a problem that doesn't exist. If there are problems
> with the windows or osx versions of Jack, they will be fixed. I will at
> least try to fix them since Radium uses jack and I don't see any reason to
> ditch jack. The main reason there
> hasn't been a new release for a while is because there hasn't been any
> reason to create a new release. They work just fine.

Thanks for this. That's what I was wondering. It does work fine in
32bit/x86 (see below) as I've found out. Below 5ms latency and now with 16
channels after I followed advice in other replies. Thanks people.

Docs mention contacting list if 64bit support required. I installed dual
32/64 version. Fine in 32, however with 64bit Mixxx it can't see the Jack
ASIO driver and with Reaper it can see it but the driver always crashes
and Reaper gives a message (have not got it in front of me just now).

Michael

Re: Will development on Jack for Windows be continuing ?

Graham Goode
For JACK in Windows 64-bit you have an extra manual installation step

From ...The Jack v 1.9.8/64bits/JackRouter.dll still has to be registered “manually” with regsvr32

Have you done that?

On May 2, 2018 at 5:38 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, May 1, 2018 2:35 pm, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 3:27 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> If we don't care, then should we start
>> marking those ports as only partially supported so users do not have
>> expectations that cannot be met?
>>

> We shouldn't create a problem that doesn't exist. If there are problems
> with the windows or osx versions of Jack, they will be fixed. I will at
> least try to fix them since Radium uses jack and I don't see any reason to
> ditch jack. The main reason there
> hasn't been a new release for a while is because there hasn't been any
> reason to create a new release. They work just fine.

Thanks for this. That's what I was wondering. It does work fine in
32bit/x86 (see below) as I've found out. Below 5ms latency and now with 16
channels after I followed advice in other replies. Thanks people.

Docs mention contacting list if 64bit support required. I installed dual
32/64 version. Fine in 32, however with 64bit Mixxx it can't see the Jack
ASIO driver and with Reaper it can see it but the driver always crashes
and Reaper gives a message (have not got it in front of me just now).

Michael

Re: Will development on Jack for Windows be continuing ?

Michael Z Freeman
Hi, sorry, I forgot about that. I did do that with 64bit Mixxx and then
Mixxx always crashed on startup until I unregistered the DLL again. Then
Mixxx startup was OK. Could be a bug with Mixxx but I think the 64bit
version could see and use ReaRoute 64bit. I have not yet tried registering
the DLL and checking Reaper 64bit again.