[Jack-Devel] Would alsa_in reading from SPDIF input inject have pops and crackles into audio?

[Jack-Devel] Would alsa_in reading from SPDIF input inject have pops and crackles into audio?

crocket
alsa_in reading from ALSA loopback often injects pops and crackles into audio when vivaldi web browser has difficulty with real-time audio processing.

ALSA loopback's clock is fed from audio signal of ALSA applications which cannot have a regular clock.

I haven't tried alsa_in on any hardware soundcard, yet.
I don't see actual xruns from alsa_in or alsa_out, but I hear pops and crackles.

Would the following setup cause pops and crackles?

1. Vivaldi web browser, mpv, mplayer, ... --> ALSA dmix --> onboard SPDIF Out --> SPDIF In of Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB --(alsa_in) --> netjack1 ==(ethernet)==> Jack ALSA backend --> HiFiBerry Amp2 --> Speakers

2. netjack1 --(alsa_out)--> headphone jack of X-Fi HD USB --> headphones

-----On Raspberry Pi 3B+
jackd -P 90 -d alsa -d HiFiBerryAmp2 -p 512 -n 2 -P -r 48000
jack_netsource -H 192.168.30.2 -o 0 -i 2 -O 0 -I 0 -n 2 -N guardian

-----On This Computer
jackd -P 90 -d netone -p 512 -n 2 -r 48000
alsa_out -j headphones -d headphones -p 512 -n 3 -q 2
alsa_in -j spdif-in -d spdif-in -p 512 -n 3 -q 2

Re: Would alsa_in reading from SPDIF input inject have pops and crackles into audio?

liebrecht
On 2019-08-08 03:34, crocket wrote:>
> Would the following setup cause pops and crackles?
>
> 1. Vivaldi web browser, mpv, mplayer, ... --> ALSA dmix

I uninstalled mpv for exactly this reason. Everything would work and
then after a while pops and crackles starts. When I go to top, I then
see mpv is at 100% cpu.
I uninstalled it and the pops went away.
Might solve your problem or might not. it was a problem here.

Re: Would alsa_in reading from SPDIF input inject have pops and crackles into audio?

crocket
mpv doesn't cause other programs to induce pops. mpv is more robust against pops than web browsers. ALSA loopback is inherently unreliable.
I suspect a high quality USB soundcard could potentially solve the issue.

On 2019-08-08 03:34, crocket wrote:>
> Would the following setup cause pops and crackles?
>
> 1. Vivaldi web browser, mpv, mplayer, ... --> ALSA dmix

I uninstalled mpv for exactly this reason. Everything would work and
then after a while pops and crackles starts. When I go to top, I then
see mpv is at 100% cpu.
I uninstalled it and the pops went away.
Might solve your problem or might not. it was a problem here.

Re: Would alsa_in reading from SPDIF input inject have pops and crackles into audio?

Ralf Mardorf
On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 04:45:36 -0400, [hidden email]
wrote:

>On 2019-08-08 03:34, crocket wrote:>
>> Would the following setup cause pops and crackles?
>>
>> 1. Vivaldi web browser, mpv, mplayer, ... --> ALSA dmix
>
>I uninstalled mpv for exactly this reason. Everything would work and
>then after a while pops and crackles starts. When I go to top, I then
>see mpv is at 100% cpu.
>I uninstalled it and the pops went away.
>Might solve your problem or might not. it was a problem here.

Half OT:

Are you aware that you could use mpv with hardware video acceleration?
Around three weeks ago I compared mpv with and without hardware video
acceleration.

When I run 'mpv some.mp4' top showed a CPU usage >20% for mpv with
spikes up to ≈70%. When I run 'mpv --hwdec=vaapi some.mp4' top showed
CPU usage ≈10% for mpv and no mentionable spikes.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 17:55:18 +0900, crocket wrote:
>mpv doesn't cause other programs to induce pops. mpv is more robust
>against pops than web browsers. ALSA loopback is inherently
>unreliable. I suspect a high quality USB soundcard could potentially
>solve the issue.

I can't comment on your set-up, however, Firefox has got jack support.

Some distros might package Firefox with pulseaudio support only, if so
you could rebuild it with

ac_add_options --enable-alsa
ac_add_options --enable-jack

Re: Would alsa_in reading from SPDIF input inject have pops and crackles into audio?

crocket
I built firefox with jack support on gentoo linux. Firefox jack support is not useable. Firefox tries to manage its own connections, and I couldn't make it stop from doing so. I maintain my own jack connection manager.