[Jack-Devel] advice on xruns

Re: advice on xruns

liebrecht
On 2019-07-28 12:59, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Linux a 1818vsl works at 48KHz. IIRC I only connected it to a Linux

Thank you for confirming that Ralf.
I must be screwing it up somehow.
If you say what is true, jack/alsa should configure the 181vsl to work
at 48kHz and I dont need all the windows preconfiguring.

I will try it again.

Re: advice on xruns

Ralf Mardorf
In a "PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL" thread from Dec 2016 on LAU, I
mentioned that "ALSA mixer allows to set up the clock, available are
"ADAT", "SPDIF" or "internal". I chose "internal" and sync the ADA8000
by wc."

Re: advice on xruns

Holger Marzen
On Sun, 28 Jul 2019, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 2019-07-28 11:41, Robin Gareus wrote:
> > On 7/28/19 5:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > I just wish I could work at 48000Hz.
> >
> > I use the VSL1818 at 48kHz exclusively. I still have a 8+ year old
> > original firmware (and I have to force USB3 ports to USB2 compat).
> >
> > I heard that some people have issues once the device as at least once
> > connected to a Mac or Window box. Maybe a factory reset can help?
> >
> > > Maybe I dont understand alsa correctly, because a 48kHZ jackd string
> > doesnt work at 48kHz.
> >
> > That's jackd's fault. Jack's ALSA backend always silently falls back the
> > "closest available" samplerate. -- IMHO it should rather fail instead,
> > but it doesn't.
> >
> > You can check with the `jack_bufsize` commmandline tool. That prints the
> > actual current buffesize and samplerate.
> >
> > HTH,
> > robin
>
> In my case I dont get a sample rate only bguffer size.
>
> ~$ jack_bufsize
> 128
> ~$

Yes, there are different versions giving different output. I stumbled
over that when I wrote my graphical frontend
http://marzen.de/Holger/jack_bufsize/

You can get the samplerate with jack_samplerate.

Re: advice on xruns

Holger Marzen
On Sun, 28 Jul 2019, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 12:07:52 -0400, wrote:
> >Although 1818vsl works great now I am stuck withy 44100.
>
> I once tested it, before I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen.

Note that Focusrite support wrote me that the 3rd gen interfaces are
shipped in "Mass Storage Device" (MSD) mode initially. I guess they want
to make more customers registering themselves and their Focusrite
devices. More data, more good.

It's not clear to me if you need a Windows or Mac computer to switch
them to Class Compliant mode and if this setting is permanently. It
reminds me of that ugly "zeroconf" stuff with wifi sticks decades ago.

It seems they turned from "we don't support Linux officially" to "we
don't give a shit".

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? advice on xruns

Ralf Mattes

Am Montag, 29. Juli 2019 08:46 CEST, Holger Marzen <[hidden email]> schrieb:

> On Sun, 28 Jul 2019, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 12:07:52 -0400, wrote:
> > >Although 1818vsl works great now I am stuck withy 44100.
> >
> > I once tested it, before I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen.
>
> Note that Focusrite support wrote me that the 3rd gen interfaces are
> shipped in "Mass Storage Device" (MSD) mode initially. I guess they want
> to make more customers registering themselves and their Focusrite
> devices. More data, more good.

Most likely a case of Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately
explained by stupidity."

They probably use mass storage mode to provide their custom drivers (which are needed for
performance under Windows).

Cheers, RalfD

Re: advice on xruns

Holger Marzen
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019, Ralf Mattes wrote:

> Am Montag, 29. Juli 2019 08:46 CEST, Holger Marzen <[hidden email]> schrieb:

> > > I once tested it, before I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen.
> >
> > Note that Focusrite support wrote me that the 3rd gen interfaces are
> > shipped in "Mass Storage Device" (MSD) mode initially. I guess they want
> > to make more customers registering themselves and their Focusrite
> > devices. More data, more good.
>
> Most likely a case of Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately
> explained by stupidity."
>
> They probably use mass storage mode to provide their custom drivers (which are needed for
> performance under Windows).

I don't think so. Those drivers would be outdated soon. I think they
provide fancy "downloaders/installers" that seduces the customers to
register their devices althought that's not needed (and hardly any
Windows user needs the 6478th EQ or compressor). It's probably a
marketing department's "brilliant" idea.

No-one needs installers for Windows systems. The operating system
provides everything. It's always about getting data and control users.

But I think this is no jack topic but more an ALSA topic.

Re: advice on xruns

Ralf Mardorf
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 08:35:54 +0200 (CEST), Holger Marzen wrote:
>You can get the samplerate with jack_samplerate.

Since alsamixer provides to chose between two slave "ADAT" and "SPDIF"
clock sources and the "internal" master clock source for the PreSonus
AudioBox 1818VSL, the OP might need to ensure that either the internal
clock is used or if an external clock is master, that the master does
provide the desired clock signal.

OT:
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 09:14:13 +0200 (CEST), Holger Marzen wrote:
>and hardly any Windows user needs the 6478th EQ or compressor

I once registered with Moog, to get an in-app purchase for free as in
beer, but never got it. Some companies simply provide a link to a free
sample library after registration. However, a few companies provide very
excellent software, such as reverbs that are not just another crappy
Linux, Apple or Windows reverb. If a user wants to get the reverb, there
is no choice, they don't sell it, they only give it away if you
register.

I don't have a big problem with registration. I fear that in the future
we can't buy what we need anymore, we might need to rent it, that is a
way bigger problem to me.

[Jack-Devel] Sudden problem Jack refuses to start.

liebrecht
It looks to me like it is and ALSA problem and for the record when I
refer to jack problems it might be alsa problems. The alsa UG is dead so
unfortunately I have no other option but to ask here.

After I had to reboot, it now takes me about 3/4 hour to get jack and
all my sound running. I always succeed but it is tedious and largely
non-repeatable.

It used to be easy just simply starting it with Cadence. I have no idea
what went out o0f whacki and really dont know where to start looking.

When Jack works right, the following string on CLI starts jack error
free.

/usr/bin/jackd --sync -P80 -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:VSL -r44100 -p512 -n8

However now I get the following:

$ lsusb
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0557:2221 ATEN International Co., Ltd Winbond
Hermon
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0719 Genesys Logic, Inc. SATA adapter
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 1d57:0001 Xenta
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth
Dongle (HCI mode)
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0763:0150 Midiman M-Audio Uno
Bus 001 Device 015: ID 194f:0103 PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
AudioBox 1818 VSL
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Which shows my 1818vsl

Then trying to start Jack
-------------------------
$ /usr/bin/jackd --sync -P80 -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:VSL -r44100 -p512 -n8
jackdmp 1.9.12
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2018 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 80
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
control open "hw:VSL" (No such device)
control open "hw:VSL" (No such device)
creating alsa driver ...
hw:VSL|hw:VSL|512|8|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control open "hw:VSL" (No such device)
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1713:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1713:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to
capture-only mode
control open "hw:VSL" (No such device)
control open "hw:VSL" (No such device)
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Failed to open server

Which says invalid value for card.

Pulseaudio usually gets it to run after a while by continuously cycling
the 1818vsl o0n and off for about 5 mins. Continuously cycling the
following error output as it seemingly fiddles with Alsa and usb.

Therefore I do

$ pulseaudio &
[1] 24813
~$ E: [pulseaudio] module-alsa-card.c: Failed to find a working profile.
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card"
(argument: "device_id="2" name="usb-M-Audio_USB_Uno_MIDI_Interface-00"
card_name="alsa_card.usb-M-Audio_USB_Uno_MIDI_Interface-00"
namereg_fail=false tsched=yes fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no
deferred_volume=yes use_ucm=yes
card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization
failed.

This error then cycles continuously for 10 minutes (switching 1818vsl
status light from blue to red and back)  my and sometimes alsa get
sorted out and Pulse loads the 1818VSL (without Jack)
Jaxck always starts after pulseaudio found the 1818vsl.

If pulseaudio didnt get it to run and it failed hard, the following
procedure then usually gets it going. (strangely I first have to allow
the 10minute pulseaudio usb/alsa disco to complete before the following
will work.

What worked the last time I ad to reboot is:
Once system is fully up, cycle power on 1818vsl
Replug 1818vsl usb plug
Wait for status light to go blue. (successfully connected to system)
Start pulsaudio from cli
pulseaudio &
WHILE pulseaudio was started from cli and continuously clicking 1818vsl
and cycling light from red to blue, after about 15 such pulseaudio
cycles execute;
/usr/bin/jackd --sync -P80 -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:VSL -r44100 -p512 -n8

Then jack usually starts, keep trying this string until by happenchance
jack does start

Pulseaudio will now connect and remove X on speaker.
Go to cadence, make sure pulseaudio sync and start pulseaudio is
enabled.
Do a Force Restart.
Now make sure the Syncs are shown in pulseauedio and that pulseaudio is
not directly connected to 1818vsl as is sometimes the case.

So anyone have an idea why I suddenly have these problems. Seems to be
alsa, but getting ANY answer from alsa usergroup- is moot. Alsa seems to
be totally dead... Probably the dreaded pulseaudio that killed them off,
sad really.