[Jack-Devel] help for linux virgin

RICHARD A CLARY
Hello!  As a person who only knows for sure that sound goes in the ear, I am a linux (mint 18.1) virgin and a sound noob.  In trying to figure out how to record more than one line at a time I am arriving at JACK, only to find it is apparently either member only or invitation only website.  Not knowing the protocol here,  I am asking:
1.  How can I get invited/allowed to get JACK to try and learn what all it can do to/for me?
2.  If I can get the invitation, I need to know how to physically install it as nothing like JACK is in the mint software manager unless one counts the 12 or so things that appear to be addins to JACK.  There is no actual installer that I see which makes complete sense if this is a somewhat restricted software.
3.  Can you inform me of what software will best handle more than one line in?  Audacity, which is all I have ever used I thought powerful until I realize it will handle only one input.

As background last night I did get some of the things off the repository of mint like QJackCtL, and Jack Rack.  What I saw was that QJackCtlL turns off any sound that is being played/recorded the instant I selected any button on the window.  Not a great start.
 I will and do appreciate whatever help I receive from you and Thank you in advance.
Richard Clary

Re: help for linux virgin

Ralf Mardorf
Hi Richard,

consider to subscribe to "Linux-audio-user -- A list for linux audio
users" https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user and to
repeat your request, since this is the best mailing list for novices to
get the kind of help you need.

Mint isn't an official Ubuntu flavour, but it much likely does use most
packages from the official Ubuntu and official Ubuntu flavour
repositories.

There is a package search for the repositories,
https://packages.ubuntu.com/ .

Regarding https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_serena_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
your release of Mint seems to be based upon Ubuntu xenial (16.04LTS)
[1].

Since you installed qjackctl, the jackd package which depends on jackd2
or jackd1 already should be installed. A dialog should have asked you
to configure jackd, but lets focus on this after you subscribed to the
Linux-audio-user mailing list.

Just in case, you could install
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/jackd2 or
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/jackd1 after opening a terminal, by
running

  sudo apt update && sudo apt install jackd2

The pros and cons of jackd1 and jackd2 are unimportant at the moment,
as a starting point jackd2 is a good, but not necessarily the
better choice. It depends on a few things what version to chose,
however, there are reasons that jackd2 often is preferred.

Audacity has a few pitfalls, so it's better to use another app. What
app depends a lot on your needs.

First of all you should install

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-lowlatency and
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/rtirq-init , in other words, from
command line (a terminal) run

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-lowlatency rtirq-init

After installing the new kernel you need to boot the new kernel.

If repeat your request to the Linux-audio-user mailing list post the
command line output of

  lsb_release -a
  uname -rm
  id
  grep -v "#" /etc/security/limits.conf
  cat /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf
  /etc/init.d/rtirq status
  grep RTIRQ_NAME_LIST /etc/default/rtirq
  aplay -l
  arecord -l
  amidi -l

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
"Main components

Linux Mint 18.1 features Cinnamon 3.2, MDM 2.0, a Linux kernel 4.4 and
an Ubuntu 16.04 package base."

Re: help for linux virgin

John Rigg-16
On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 03:32:27PM +0000, RICHARD A CLARY wrote:

> Hello!  As a person who only knows for sure that sound goes in the
> ear, I am a linux (mint 18.1) virgin and a sound noob.  In trying
> to figure out how to record more than one line at a time I am
> arriving at JACK, only to find it is apparently either member
> only or invitation only website.  Not knowing the protocol here,
> I am asking:1.  How can I get invited/allowed to get JACK to try
> and learn what all it can do to/for me?2.  If I can get the
> invitation, I need to know how to physically install it as
> nothing like JACK is in the mint software manager unless one
> counts the 12 or so things that appear to be addins to JACK.
> There is no actual installer that I see which makes complete
> sense if this is a somewhat restricted software.3.  Can you
> inform me of what software will best handle more than one line
> in?  Audacity, which is all I have ever used I thought powerful
> until I realize it will handle only one input.

Ardour (http://ardour.org) is probably what you're looking for.
You can use it with or without JACK. There's an Ardour forum if
you need help.

> As background last night I did get some of the things off the
> repository of mint like QJackCtL, and Jack Rack.  What I saw
> was that QJackCtlL turns off any sound that is being
> played/recorded the instant I selected any button on the
> window.  Not a great start.

I'm not a Mint user, but I'm guessing that if you have QJackCtl
you will also have JACK installed already (look for jackd, jackd1
or jackd2 package). Try typing "man jackd" on the command line
and see if the jackd manpage is displayed.

If you use Ardour it has its own JACK-aware connection manager.

Hope this helps.

John

Re: help for linux virgin

Ralf Mardorf
On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 16:30:05 +0000 (UTC), RICHARD A CLARY wrote:
>WELL!  Thank you, this will keep me busy for some days I am sure.
>Yes, Mint is a QUI for Ubuntu and is the most popular for those of us
>trying to loss Windows.  The learning curve is very steep w/ little
>guidance however.  I will pursue what you have sent and deeply
>appreciate this.  I may send an email inquiry in a few days, otherwise
>will try not to bother you often.  Again THANK YOU.

Hi,

I ried to reply off-list to your off-list reply, but got an error [1].
So once again, but now to the mailing list:

Hi,

you are welcome!

I guess you don't bother the jack mailing list, at least you don't
bother me. The Linux audio users mailing list just is the best place to
get the help you need.

Please, in the future reply to the mailing list.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 17:53:13 +0000

The original message was received at Tue, 6 Jun 2017 17:53:12 +0000
from x5ce0d0ad.dyn.telefonica.de [92.224.208.173]

<[hidden email]>
    (reason: 553 5.3.0 flpd588 DNSBL:ATTRBL 521< 91.136.10.245
   >_is_blocked.For assistance forward this email to
   [hidden email])